spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~

10 things each of you can do to fix the traffic problems

10 tangible things each of YOU can do to make traffic better

Date: 2006-10-20, 11:06AM PDT

Yeah, you could ride transit or carpool or bike, but that's not gonna happen, so here are easy things you can actually do.

All of these fit a theme. Which is: It's not all about YOU out there. You are part of a collective. If everyone did these unselfish things, traffic would be much better:

1. Don't tailgate. When you tailgate, you have to tap your brakes at the slightest speed change. You tap for a second, the guy behind you taps for two, the guy behind him for four, and so forth. Ripple effect that equals slowdown.

2. Use onramps correctly. ACCELERATE! Get up to a speed that matches overall traffic, then merge seamlessly. Too many people here merge into 60 mph traffic at 40 mph. People hit their brakes, and again you get a ripple effect.

3. Honor the left lane. Move over when not overtaking cars. Yes, we've talked this one to death. Just do it.

4. Pick a lane and try to stick with it. Incessant lane changes for little real gain can cause slowdowns for much the same reason as the onramp example above. Think ahead: Will the lane you're in peter out soon, or turn into an exit-only lane? Get yourself in one that will see you through to your destination.

5. At stoplights, pay attention. If you're first in line waiting at a light, be sure you're pulled up far enough, as someone here already noted. Then PAY ATTENTION! Watch the light. When it changes, go! Driving is war, and you've got the point -- so stay alert! That goes for everyone in the back of the line too, but we have way too many people at the front who use stoplight time to apply makeup, read the paper, change the radio station or eat french fries off their car's floor.

6. Step on it. If traffic's going 60 in your lane, why aren't you keeping up with the guy ahead of you? Why do you feel the need to go 57? Again, you're part of a collective out there. Join in, please.

7. Don't go so fast you get pulled over. Because every time someone gets pulled over, it gums up traffic for the rest of us. People rubberneck and irrationally brake (like the trooper's gonna drop you to go after them), and the aforementioned ripple effect ensues. So drive briskly, but don't risk a ticket. If you're going over 70 in a 60 mph zone, you're risking it.

8. Look way down the road. I get on I-5 northbound everyday from Fairview at Mercer. Two lanes from Fairview are onramp only. Invariably someone is sitting in the middle, onramp-only lane who wants to go straight. And he just sits there, and people are stuck behind him. It happens at every signal, because the mope didn't READ THE SIGNS. Look ahead. Look far ahead. Look way past that big hurkin' SUV you're behind, if you can. The sooner you see signs and the sooner you see trouble, the sooner you can avoid messing up in a way that affects the rest of us.

9. Live the golden rule. Let people in. Wave when someone lets you in. I wish I had a buck for every time I've signaled to enter a gap in a lane, and the car that's far back in that lane guns it to try to keep me from moving over. No wait, I don't wish I had a buck, I wish I had his head on a pike. But you've gotta check that impulse too. Do unto others ... you know.

10. Devote yourself to the task. This is covered in many of the points above, but driving is not simply something you do to pass the time while listening to the radio. Driving is the all-consuming task at hand.
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

stunner5000pt is offline Anabolic Member
    6. Step on it. If traffic's going 60 in your lane, why aren't you keeping up with the guy ahead of you? Why do you feel the need to go 57? Again, you're part of a collective out there. Join in, please.
    why is it people think taht going slowly is a good thing

IMPEDING TRAFFIC ISNT COOL!

mousetraps is offline Member
    number eleven, use your god damn blinker.

Quote Originally Posted by mousetraps
    number eleven, use your god damn blinker.
    12. TURN IT OFF WHEN YOU'RE DONE

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    all good rules....i hate it when people can't use the damn onramp correctly....makes me want to maim and kill

Quote Originally Posted by stunner5000pt
    12. TURN IT OFF WHEN YOU'RE DONE

HAHAHAHAHA!

Phreak101 is offline Anabolic Member
    #1 is paramount. So many people just ride each others asses right up to the traffic jam. Spread out!! it's not like we're gonna run out of road!

rar1015 is offline Anabolic Member
    That would be nice but its easier said then done.

rubix6 is offline Female Member
    mis-use of the blinker drives me mad!!!

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    #13 buy a street bike and pass everybody...one less car on the road and saves the ozone..not that i care that much about the ozone it just makes me sound nice...

14) no more road head...busting one slows traffic down dramatically

here in minnesota, they teach the students to slow at the bottom of the on ramp and wait for a spot to merge...

I wish i could strangle someone..

Rules

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    here in minnesota, they teach the students to slow at the bottom of the on ramp and wait for a spot to merge...

thats dangerous

Foskamink is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lucabratzi
    #13 buy a street bike and pass everybody...one less car on the road and saves the ozone..not that i care that much about the ozone it just makes me sound nice...
    i see a bunch of acidents each week where i like with motobikes, scooters and such rideing down the sides of cars when they should no. sad to see people laying out dead on the road because they were not paitent and decided to gun it up the bike lanes.

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    sounds so easy!

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    15. STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION....I know different subject, but think about it.

youre from minnesota too eh? 94 can be ricockulous sometimes.

my mom is one of those drivers who drives UNDER the speed limit... WELL under

and she'll start doing stupid things at lights like look around or check her makeup in a mirror UGH

LOOK AT THE ROAD

Triple X is offline Banned
    #16 When someone is on your ass or coming up behind you, get the fuk over into the other lane

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    I drive there (Min/St.Paul) quite frequently, and the amount of bad drivers on the 94 is rediculous!

Not as bad as where I'm from though. In my city, the roads are HORRIBLE. Full of pot holes, and lights at every corner. It's rediculously slow to go anywhere. Bad planning by the city.

The best driving I've had, was from LAX airport driving to Las Vegas airport. Great highway, and the drivers knew to stay in the right lane, unless passing. Always waved and used their flashers.

#17 Carry a gun.

Triple X is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cfiler
    I drive there (Min/St.Paul) quite frequently, and the amount of bad drivers on the 94 is rediculous!

Not as bad as where I'm from though. In my city, the roads are HORRIBLE. Full of pot holes, and lights at every corner. It's rediculously slow to go anywhere. Bad planning by the city.

The best driving I've had, was from LAX airport driving to Las Vegas airport. Great highway, and the drivers knew to stay in the right lane, unless passing. Always waved and used their flashers.
    shit, in Vegas we do 65 in a 30.........no bullshit

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foskamink
    i see a bunch of acidents each week where i like with motobikes, scooters and such rideing down the sides of cars when they should no. sad to see people laying out dead on the road because they were not paitent and decided to gun it up the bike lanes.
    well the only time i really split lanes is when traffic is dead stopped to about 10mph...the most important thing to look for is space between cars..when theres space someone will try to nose there car in and in turn hit u...

Quote Originally Posted by mousetraps
    youre from minnesota too eh? 94 can be ricockulous sometimes.
    I love the way hwy 62... none of the highway contractors would bid on the project because the state dosen't have the money set aside..

today they announce that over the next 2 years, we will have a 4 billion excess in taxes collected..

thanks..

Rules

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    Quote Originally Posted by cfiler
    #17 Carry a gun.
    and I do

I love the way hwy 62... none of the highway contractors would bid on the project because the state dosen't have the money set aside..

today they announce that over the next 2 years, we will have a 4 billion excess in taxes collected..

thanks..
    haha yup

which gym do you train at.. the press?

crash187ct is offline Senior Member
    "9. Live the golden rule. Let people in. Wave when someone lets you in. I wish I had a buck for every time I've signaled to enter a gap in a lane, and the car that's far back in that lane guns it to try to keep me from moving over. No wait, I don't wish I had a buck, I wish I had his head on a pike. But you've gotta check that impulse too. Do unto others ... you know."

you sorta contradicted yourself...

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    #18 take public transit, less cars on the road, save the environment!

bbplaya21 is offline Associate Member
    #19 if someone pulls out in front of you....hit em!!! or at least thats what i did in my truck last time that dumb women driver did. totalled her car i got a new brushguard,bumper and hood

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    for some reason. i am a slow driver. i dont ever go the speed limit, five miles under...........alot of people must like me, they honk and wave the finger at me alot. but imo, save the phone while driving should be on the list

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by bbplaya21
    #19 if someone pulls out in front of you....hit em!!! or at least thats what i did in my truck last time that dumb women driver did. totalled her car i got a new brushguard,bumper and hood
    now why can't that happen when i do it.....****

PaRiS2005 is offline Female Member

That's horrible!!

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    God dammit I've been saying this shat for over 10 years now dammit!!! What really pisses me off is majority of these people are doing the SAME damn thing everyday, it's the same route you take to and from work, etc, and you would THINK they would LEARN by now!!! Assholes!!!

THE WORST are the pricks who need to make 50 lane changes during RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC!!! HEY DICK HEAD, YOU'RE NOT GETTING ANYWHERE!!!

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    The reason for traffic isn't that list, its, to no surprise, the population.

You can only fit so many people on the freeway at 6am going to work towards downtown.

Following those 10 wont change a thing about that.

Its plain and simple, too many people, and too little space.

Its like trying to fit my balls in my boxers ya know.

I'd love to do that! I always slam on my brakes instead, and hit the horn. As the other driver looks in panic as I'm about to hit her. They then give that embaresed look, because they were not looking and didn't realise that they almost caused an accident. GRR!!!

I hate when people don't watch where they are going, or don't shoulder check when changing lanes.

bbplaya21 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaRiS2005
    That's horrible!!
    dude if u lived where i live then it will happen at some time in point.

Thread Information