Monte Brogan is offline Junior Member

Question Have any members used LEXAPRO?

I understand this is a private matter, so I would welcome any PMs as opposed to public postings.

My MD recently recommended this drug b/c I'm going through some personal difficulties. I have never used antidepressants before and am leery about doing so.

Any advice, positive or negative, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Monte

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Its pretty good stuff, it doesnt make me high like xanex. I can function pretty well on it at least in my experiance but I only take it once or twice a month and before bedtime so I cant say if it has a build up effect or not like xanex. But I take it for a different reason than you more to relax.

NOREGRETS is offline Senior Member
    It work well for my depression. But I went off it because of the sexual sides and excessive sweating.

K.Biz is offline Banned
    i dont no much. but i hear comming off lexapro if your on it for a while has some serious sides, sucxh as paranoia, sweats, night terrors things like that.

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte Brogan
    I understand this is a private matter, so I would welcome any PMs as opposed to public postings.

My MD recently recommended this drug b/c I'm going through some personal difficulties. I have never used antidepressants before and am leery about doing so.

Any advice, positive or negative, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Monte
    i have been on lex for two years now plus three other anti depression meds
    if you are hurting , dpressed and its been a while and you cant change the way you feel then listen to your doc.
    after tearing my shoulder apart two operations to repair it almost loosing everything i have due t the bills and not being able to work or work out i wanted to , i tried to kill my self . two years latter i fell almost 100% im back in the gym and have my life back.
    you can pm me if you need anything bro, take care and things will get better.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    i used to take 20mg's a day for panic attacks. it worked well for them after about 1-2 months, and i took it for about a year and stopped cold turkey with no problems. however, i know there have been people it has made suicidal.

prncezzml is offline Female Member
    I took it for awhile after I had my baby for post-partum depression. It totally killed any depression and sad thoughts, but as for anxiety it didn't really help at all. Like others have said though, I had sexual side effects like no sex drive whatsoever, couldn't really get turned on, and had half-ass orgasms. If you are going through a hard time, with pretty severe depression I would highly recommend it. I went off of it after about 9 months and I was fine, a little irritable, I just dosed myself down til I was at 2.5 mg a day then just stopped taking it.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience
    Its pretty good stuff, it doesnt make me high like xanex. I can function pretty well on it at least in my experiance but I only take it once or twice a month and before bedtime so I cant say if it has a build up effect or not like xanex. But I take it for a different reason than you more to relax.
    Lexapro takes 2-4 weeks to get in your bloodstream and actually start working on your serontonin, so I would highly recommend taking it as prescribed by doc (this is to Monte)

good advice, i hope things are well by you .

Monte Brogan is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prncezzml
    Lexapro takes 2-4 weeks to get in your bloodstream and actually start working on your serontonin, so I would highly recommend taking it as prescribed by doc (this is to Monte)
    Thank you, prncezzml, and to everyone else who took a few moments to share their experiences.

I think I'm going to give it a shot. I asked my MD about sexual side effects, and he said Lexapro is the lowest antidepressant on the scale when it comes to that. He initially prescribed Paxil, but opted against it. Apparently his other patients have often complained about sexual sides. I told him that was the last thing I needed and he agreed and penned the Lex script.

Again, thanks to everyone who added their input.

Monte

I could be wrong about this but i think your Doc is wrong on lex having the least adverse sex side effect, I think wellburtin is reported to be the best for not messing up you sex drive. just double check with the doc and see how he feels about wellburtin.

Quote Originally Posted by cj1capp
    I could be wrong about this but i think your Doc is wrong on lex having the least adverse sex side effect, I think wellburtin is reported to be the best for not messing up you sex drive. just double check with the doc and see how he feels about wellburtin.
    I agree with that. It's subtle though, it's not like this huge drastic change and you are like "oh my god where did my sex drive go!". I didn't even really realize it until i went off of lexapro and was much more into sex again. Good luck!

Thread Information