Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member

engagement rings

planning on popping the question next summer so i have to start putting more money away. i have some saved but now i gotta increase how much i save each week. i understand that an engagement ring is supposed to be 2 months salary. for me that would put me in the 11-12K range. I hope i dont get a huge raise this year...jk. what type of ring does that get me? i know there are a ton of variables that go into the ring shopping but assume i want something that is pretty damn nice and i dont want to sacrafice any one area. IE: im not going to get a 2 carat ring that has tons of inclusions or doesnt reflect light. Id rather get a small ring that looks better. also i want opinions of guys that recently popped the question or have diamond experience because going on a website like bluenile just gives inflated prices.....i need to know what im shooting for but i dont want to go to a jeweler just yet.

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member
    check out overstock.com , its got some very nice items and at fantastic prices.

ill check it but i wont buy a ring from a site. also you should never buy a ring with the diamond already set. thats a no no. my italian mother has taught me a few things.

Z12
    Z12 is offline Associate Member
    Yea, I think you buy the diamond and ring seperately and have a jewler put them together. My gf buys diamond stuff pretty often and she goes to www.bluenile.com. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Z12
    Z12 is offline Associate Member
    Actually, I just noticed, on the main page of www.MSN.com there's an article about buying diamonds. One of those flashing stories that scrolls by, on the main page - you'll see it.

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    planning on popping the question next summer .
    DOnt do it ! lol

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    Definitely buy the diamond separately and then have it set. It's my own opinion, but I wouldn't buy a diamond online....shoes, supplements, etc. no prob, but not something as precious as a diamond.

I spent three months driving around diamond shopping and I eventually found an ideal cut, VVS1, E color, 1/2 carat diamond at a pawn shop. It was mounted in a crap white gold band and hadn't been cleaned, so the pawn dealer had no idea what he had. I told him I wanted it appraised, left a check, and took it to a certified gemologist. He appraised it, gave me the results the next day, and I went back to the pawn dealer to finalize the deal. After he put the check in the cash register, I showed him the appraisal. I got a diamond worth almost 5K for $982. I took it back to the gemologist and had it cleaned and set in a 6 point platinum Tiffany band for $550.

If you're looking at dropping 11-12K, you can get a larger carat, but get your first 3 C's right. If I were you, I'd be looking at an ideal cut, VVS1 or better, D or E color, 1 carat diamond.

PROTEINSHAKE is offline Protein Power
    the 3 rings of marraige--

Engagement Ring - Wedding Ring- Suffering just kiddin

lol thanks for the kind words guys....

good info CSAR. thats a point in the right direction as far as what i should be looking at.

NewJuice is offline Associate Member
    Take your girl out to see the new movie Blood Diamond, That will cost you 20 bucks with popcorn. After she finds out what it takes to get a diamond she will no longer want one...you will save 11980 bucks

LightSnack is offline New Member
    Cee Zee

hahaha cant do that.

Jason865 is offline Banned
    Got my wife a VVS2, E color, .83 carat for $4100. Just put it on a crappy $150 setting. Did this all through a Broker and cut out the Jewler. My opinion iis better to get them an inexpensive ring and up size on the 10 year anaversery.....if you have one that is.

Got the idea from my father, he got my mom a very inexpensive ring then on the 25 year anaversery bought her a VVS1, E, 3 carat ring that looked more expensive than a new truck.

dhriscerr is offline Senior Member
    11K 12K is a pretty amazing ring man, most average rings are going to be between 2k and 6K

mavsluva is offline "Gone but not forgotten" 10/11/07
    The only advice that I would give to you about this topic is that if your girlfriend has the slightest bit of knowledge about your plans, then I would encourage you to take her ring shopping along with you. That way you can get some feedback from her regarding the type of solitaire, type of band, etc. My wife wanted a princess cut solitaire, so I took her input and allowed my wallet to then dictate the size of the diamond.

This is a major investment so it's always a good idea to be somewhat certain that she's going to like it.

(Also, if you purchase just a single solitaire, a cathedral style band will make the diamond appear to be larger than it really is. A catheral style band physically raises the diamond away from the finger. I bought my wife a 2 karat solitaire and it makes it look so much larger. I'll take pictures of it and attach it to here when she gets home.)

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    planning on popping the question next summer so i have to start putting more money away. i have some saved but now i gotta increase how much i save each week. i understand that an engagement ring is supposed to be 2 months salary. for me that would put me in the 11-12K range. I hope i dont get a huge raise this year...jk. what type of ring does that get me? i know there are a ton of variables that go into the ring shopping but assume i want something that is pretty damn nice and i dont want to sacrafice any one area. IE: im not going to get a 2 carat ring that has tons of inclusions or doesnt reflect light. Id rather get a small ring that looks better. also i want opinions of guys that recently popped the question or have diamond experience because going on a website like bluenile just gives inflated prices.....i need to know what im shooting for but i dont want to go to a jeweler just yet.
    NNNoooo

sorry goodcents, another bites the dust lol.

sorry goodcents, another bites the dust lol.

There's still time to run

Jason865 is offline Banned
    PS I'm Divorced now and guess what.....she kept the ring.

Hope you have better luck bro.

hahaha thanks jason865. technically the ring is still yours because its a conditional gift. that condition being "till death do us part". as long as you dont give it to her on a holiday or her birthday you could technically get it back.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    Married for 2 years now.

I dont advise doing it.

It all sound like a good ida. But it's not.

when you say i do it's over.

Every thing as you know it will change and not for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsxxr
    Married for 2 years now.

I dont advise doing it.

Speak brother

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Grats man! I have been married now for about 2.5 years. I remember going thru exactly what you are going thru, finding the perfect ring. I also planned on paying around $12k. I went to all the normal jewelry places that you find like Zales and such (if you live in the US). nothing stuck out at all... So, I didn't know prices very much but figured id look at Tiffany's. Supposedly every girl's "desire" to have a Tiffany's ring and I tell you what, hands down, they were absolutely more than a step above every other place Id visited. So for around $12-13k I got an incredible looking ring and the wedding band! My wife loves it. It was 1 carat, E color, VVS1 or 2 (whichever is the lesser quality, but at this level it doesnt make a difference). My advice, if you are going to spend that kinda money on a ring, dont buy it over the net because you REALLY want to see it and make 10000% sure. Dont go to the typical jewelers that you find in a mall (not that those rings are bad, but they are a step below places like Tiffany's), and go back to the store multiple times to make sure its what you want. Oh, also the wedding band that i picked out was a platinum band with diamonds going halfway around.

If you get a band like my wife's, one suggestion is to get diamonds all the way around because if the ring turns on the finger, then you wont see the diamonds OR you can get these little weighted inserts on the inside of the ring that keep the band from slipping. I did a lot of research and shopping if you have any questions, feel free to pm me. Good luck, and dont listen to any of these people saying its not worth it.. it TOTALLY is great.

One more thing to think about, do you really know your wife will like it. Because it's not important really when you get down to it, but it is though. THe ring doesnt have to be big, or whatever, but the girl has to like it. I have a friend who told her husband what ring she liked (obviously they knew they were going to get married)... well, he went out on his own and got something else, a different cut, different metal, etc that he thought she would like better, well wrong, she hated it!! and still hates it. and imagine her having to wear that every day and hating it. not too good. So if you arent for sure, my suggestion would to ask her to marry you however you do. But dont buy the ring.. Maybe use something like those big diamond candy rings at first, you know, have her cry but kinda laugh too at the situation.. and tell her that you have a ring picked out, but you wanted to make sure she liked it before you bought it since she will wear it every day for the rest of her life. I knew my wife would like the ring, i had the feeling, but thats a big deal. So I ended up asking her, and then took her to get her agreement on the ring. and she loved it.

Later!

STYLE74 is offline Got Style?
    Married for 2 years now.

I dont advise doing it.

Everybody who is married sais the same thing.

onestone is offline New Member
    Married for 2 years now.

I dont advise doing it.

Funny how that piece of paper changes a relationship

I think spending that much money on a ring is ridiculous. I'd rather spend $1000 on the ring, $2000 on the honeymoon, $5000 towards the wedding, and $4000 for a down payment on a house. My wife's ring cost $300 and it's not even real diamonds, bought it from ziomand.com alot of celebrities wear their stuff because it looks so real. She's brought it to jewelers to have it cleaned and even they have no clue just by looking at it. My wife didnt want a real diamond, she told me that it was stupid to spend that much money on a ring, and this one would mean just as much to her. Nope, don't find ones like her everyday

my wife's 1st ring was $400 (20 yrs ago), her 2nd was $2100 (10 yrs ago), and the last one was 18K.

Been married a while...... I aint upgrading the ring anymore, though.

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    I think spending that much money on a ring is ridiculous.
    Without a shadow of a doubt.

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    That would definately buy you a really nice ring.

I bought my fiance a less expensive ring, and on our 25th aniversary I'm going to get her a nicer, more expensive ring.

bigbouncinballs is offline Senior Member
    i thought it was custom to spend four months salary... is it two or four?

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbouncinballs
    i thought it was custom to spend four months salary... is it two or four?
    Who makes up these rules? - Is it a US thing?

Rings are a waste of money.....it's all about trying to impress everyone with a "big" rock on your finger....the bigger the ring, the sooner the divorce....Wasting thousands on a ring is a sign of insecurity, IMO.

i hear its 2...it better not be 4.

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    if you have the money, its not a waste... the value isnt going to go down. Its not like a car you take it off the lot and lose 20% of the value. And you know what, its something nice. I didn't buy it to show it off and its not big enough to make people be like "thats a big rock". It looks nice and thats it. Its all relative anyway, you ask someone in poverty barely getting by if spending $1k on a ring is worthless and they'll tell ya youre crazy.

NOREGRETS is offline Senior Member
    i hear its 2...it better not be 4.
    I've heard 2-3 months, its just a gimmick for you to spend more money. I wouldn't base it on your salary, but more on what you think is appropriate.

RockhardKnockout10 is offline New Member
    save your money bro.....you have no idea what you are getting your self into your going to need that same amount of money in a few years if stuff dose not work out put it in a safety deposit box and pay your divorce fee's maybe you will have a little left over and you can go buy a lap dance and a shot to forget the misery of being married....i know from experience

Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    if you have the money, its not a waste... the value isnt going to go down. Its not like a car you take it off the lot and lose 20% of the value.
    Have you ever tried to resell a Diamond ring?

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Ive been looking myself lately, 11-12G will get you a sic ring. Find a local jeweler, go in for awhile, let him know your thinking about dumping some $$$, he'll hook you up after a bit.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    Man my wifes ring was 9,500 and let me tell you not worth it. I could have gave her a pice of shit fake rock and she would not know the diff.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    I think spending that much money on a ring is ridiculous. I'd rather spend $1000 on the ring, $2000 on the honeymoon, $5000 towards the wedding, and $4000 for a down payment on a house. My wife's ring cost $300 and it's not even real diamonds, bought it from ziomand.com alot of celebrities wear their stuff because it looks so real. She's brought it to jewelers to have it cleaned and even they have no clue just by looking at it. My wife didnt want a real diamond, she told me that it was stupid to spend that much money on a ring, and this one would mean just as much to her. Nope, don't find ones like her everyday
    I find myself liking SS's posts more and more everyday.. weird

Quote Originally Posted by onestone
    my wife's 1st ring was $400 (20 yrs ago), her 2nd was $2100 (10 yrs ago), and the last one was 18K.

Been married a while...... I aint upgrading the ring anymore, though.
    Props bro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information