Scooby1 is offline Member

Leaving Special Forces?

Okay guys I'm at a cross roads. I have the option to go MI but of course in order to do so I'd be leaving my unit. All my fellow brethern help me out. I finally finished my training and have been with my team for 6 months next week. I've always wanted to go MI but I have so much invested here that its almost like I can't leave. My wife of course would be thrilled cuz I would be home more often and to be honest I would be too due to the fact that we've been married for 14 months now and these past six months while I've been with my team is the longest time that we've actually been able to spend together at one time, however, I feel like I'd be quitting. Help me out.

SF= Special Forces
    MI= Military Intel

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member
    likely do whats best for the marriage dude. although yes leaving brethren is very hard. good luck in your decision fella, hope it goes your way

king6 is offline Anabolic Member
    Promotions are better in intel as well.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    listen, you put so much time into SF don't back out yet. i do understand your pain. depending on how u did it you jumped back and forth from airborne, SFAS, to Q course, to language and SERE.. all in all u have so much invested u want to at least get some more time with your unit. MI is great i agree, but the longer u have time in that 18 slot the better..

depending on what 18 slot you hold A B C D E ... u need some time in that slot before the tab means anything.. in SF school u learn alot, and get tested alot. so just having that tab will take you places in life. but if your goal is to stay with the military as a career you want more than just 6 months with your team.

i know it sucks to think about it, but i would say give it another year up wards of 3 years. you and your wife need to make this choice TOGETHER.. and if you have been only been married 14months that means when she met you she knew what you were and about SF.

and also think about this, SF u might do alot but your with your Team, and even if you get moved u still join another small group.. in MI they can and most likely bounce you around to the point u will wish you were back in SF

all said and done, if you leave SF, you can always come back.. as long as you aren't breaking in contract to move out of ur unit

Quote Originally Posted by king6
    Promotions are better in intel as well.

i'd really dis-agree army SF has great promotion and movement ability

MI is about the same as other MOS's (unless you are an officier)

NightTrain is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quarry206
    i'd really dis-agree army SF has great promotion and movement ability

MI is about the same as other MOS's (unless you are an officier)
    i agree SF is the place to be if your looking for career progression....

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    MI, my brother in law did just what you are doing... in your position... and he did it.. loves it.. a little too much travel... (no i won't say what he is doing, or i would have to kill you).. but when he gets out in 3 years he will do the same job in the civi world for $250,000 +++ per year.. and if no one wants him i can pay him that much to do what he already knows how to do..

laters..

dajavu...
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

zipster_dude is offline Associate Member
    Making that move depends strictly on your long term goals. Are you looking to retire military? If not, you have your socom q, you have done the basic quals and passed selection. You are actually deployed with a unit and can switch to MI.

MI is the way to go if you are going to get out in 4 or 5. The civi contractors pay is great and you can make connections like a mad man to further your career in the field.

If you think your time in MI away from your wife will be less, think again. You will be boot again and bounce around post like crazy. (no wife on these posts either). It's a craps shoot.

If you are looking to make career, opps is the best place to be. Are you classified TS? Just curious?

I was in Force Rec, and went through selection and moved to BUDS after my first year through q schools. I went to TS branched from there. I don't know too much about 18 slots with tabs, I assume you are ranger?

Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!
    I wouldnt back out yet

keep us posted on what you are thinking about

testfire is offline New Member
    Shenanigans.
    Last edited by testfire; 03-19-2007 at 06:45 PM.

Thread Information