Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    K.Biz is offline Banned

To all the crotch rocket riders..

So im taking the plunge. gonna get me a bike whats a good bike for a beginner? i have been riding dirt bikes since i was a lil kid so im not that much of a beginner but i was thinking something around 600cc

Let me know what you think...

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    2 wheeled screaming chariot of doom...

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stops that get ya..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member
    Motorcycle Reviews - Beginner Bikes
    From Apply Now,
    Your Guide to Motorcycles.
    FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
    Mini-Review: Kawasaki Ninja® EX250

It's going to be impossible to do an unbiased review of this motorcycle, so I won't even try. Let me just say up front: I love these bikes! Read on, and you'll find out why.

The littlest Ninja® is built around a 250cc water-cooled vertical twin. Like most of the 250cc motorcycles available in the US, this motor has been around for quite some time with little change.

The Ninja® looks like a sport bike from the '80s. That's because it is. The EX250 has been around for nearly 20 years.

This motorcycle will be comfortable for just about anyone between about 5'2' and 6'4". The ergonomics are much closer to a standard than a sport bike, but taller riders may feel just a bit hunched over toward the handlebars.

If I had to describe the Ninja® 250 in one word, it would be - schizophrenic. This motorcycle has multiple personalities. It looks like a sport bike, because it is. The seating position is very similar to a standard, because it is. The low RPM power delivery is smooth, predictable, and unintimidating. At higher RPM, the bike starts to scream, and pull harder, and accelerate faster, and pull harder, all the way up to the rev limiter. So what exactly is the smallest member of the Ninja® family? Is it a sport bike? Yep. Is it a standard? Uh-huh. Is it mild mannered? Sure. Does it have the ability to move out at a good clip? As long as you keep the revs up. Is it a good beginner bike? IMHO, one of the best. Is it a good bike for an intermediate to experienced rider? Without a doubt.

Power: Like I mentioned, the EX250's schizophrenia manifests itself quite markedly in the way the motor delivers power. If you shift early (prior to about 6000 RPM), it's a mild-mannered little bike. Once you get north of that on the tachometer, the little motor really starts to scream, and you'll notice the scenery is slipping by at an ever increasing pace. Compared to other 250cc motorcycles available in the States, this bike is undoubtedly the quickest and fastest. Unlike most of its fellow quarter-liter machines, the littlest Ninja® can hold highway speeds (even on long grades on interstates or freeways) pretty much all day.

Brakes: Again, the Ninja's heritage shines through. The front brake is efficient, has great feedback, and is the best in its class. The rear unit is, well, OK. Not only will this bike get you up to the legal limit faster than the other 250s on the market, it'll get you back down to zero more quickly than the others as well.

Handling: While it handles pretty well, the Ninja® is far from perfect. Believe it or not, cornering clearance is about the same as a Nighthawk. There have been times on the little practice track that I have scraped the peg feelers on the Ninja in turns and at speeds that the Nighthawk didn't. The Ninja's suspension is much better in the turns than any of the other 250s, which makes the early touchdown of the peg feelers that much more disappointing. From what I understand, people that race them generally do some suspension modifications as well as modifying the footpegs for a bit more clearance. That being said, in capable hands, on a tight, twisty road - a superior rider on a Ninja® 250 can flat spank an average rider on a 600 supersport. I've seen it done.

OK. I've tried to be unbiased, but it just ain't gonna happen. This bike is the most bang for the buck available today and probably the best choice out there for a beginner. I have one. I ride it. I love it. I can't think of a single time it has failed to bring a smile to my face. -- LoDownHST

bigdog81 is offline Member
    Cant Deny My HARLEY!!!!!

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    ^^^^ 2001 Fatboy. Love that bar hopper!

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    I've ridden yamahas and hondas... I'd pick a Honda 600 RR any day over a yamaha for reliability alone. I have an '04 right now and it's a great bike.

odix is offline Member
    **** a 600, jump right into a 750, 600's are to small and 1000's are too big.

chuck89gt5.0 is offline Senior Member
    I loved my cbr 600f4i

One of the lightest 600cc bikes available, Very fast and could handle like no other.

STYLE74 is offline Got Style?
    Just get a 1000. If you get a 600 you are going to regret it and wish you got one bigger. I had a 600 years ago and I had that thing punched going out to the Hamptons and was like WTF, thats it. If not the 1000 atleast do what odix said and get a 750. Definately don't get a 600.

X-Damien is offline Associate Member
    Here is an earlier thread:

Starter Bike?

Not a 600? maybe years ago, todays 600s put out about 123 crankshaft horsepower at 13,500 rpm. Thats top speed 170 mph. Should be plenty.
    The diff between 750 and 600 for a novice rider is $$ - thats it.
    My 1st was 600 then 1000, now 748

stacked566 is offline Associate Member
    A 600 is plenty. My 1000 is fast, but I prefer the 600 over it because it handles better. A 1000 is way too much bike for a beginner. If you think your 600 isnt fast enough you're not riding it right. I've always been a gsxr fan...2001 and newer gsxr 600 would be ideal.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by STYLE74
    Just get a 1000. If you get a 600 you are going to regret it and wish you got one bigger. I had a 600 years ago and I had that thing punched going out to the Hamptons and was like WTF, thats it. If not the 1000 atleast do what odix said and get a 750. Definately don't get a 600.
    I agree

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    a 1000 for a first bike is too much bike for a beginner imo.

trin2getswole is offline Junior Member
    I would go with a 600 or 750. New 600 are still going to be fast if its your first bike. BUt if you have history on dirt bikes you may want to go to a 750 so you dont get bored

I would go with a honda

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    who ever says that a 600 is boring cant ride it...fact is that u most likely cant ride that bike to its potential...sayin to get a 1000 is even a dumber statement...im 230lbs and a 600cc still pulls like a mutha...oh yeah i have a gsxr 600...great bike to start on...comfortable, fast but somewhat forgivin if u make a mistake, nice handling..

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    No matter what you think youre going to whipe out, so there is no point in buying some top of the line bike.

ha-ha...good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    No matter what you think youre going to whipe out, so there is no point in buying some top of the line bike.
    not exactly...there's a good chance that you will but if u dont over step your boderies then u should be fine...i was doin standups..which was way out of my boundery..and i went down...if u take things slow there is no reason to fall..

Quote Originally Posted by lucabratzi
    who ever says that a 600 is boring cant ride it...fact is that u most likely cant ride that bike to its potential...sayin to get a 1000 is even a dumber statement...im 230lbs and a 600cc still pulls like a mutha...oh yeah i have a gsxr 600...great bike to start on...comfortable, fast but somewhat forgivin if u make a mistake, nice handling..
    Its not that a 600 is boring. But yes you get used to the acceleration quickly on it. Most people won't be able to ride either bike to its potential through corners. Or hell even through the intersection. But 2nd-4th gear wear most people spend there time riding is where they are going to want more then a 600.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    Its not that a 600 is boring. But yes you get used to the acceleration quickly on it. Most people won't be able to ride either bike to its potential through corners. Or hell even through the intersection. But 2nd-4th gear wear most people spend there time riding is where they are going to want more then a 600.
    i see what ur sayin but i bet i can make my 600 accelerate faster then alot of idiots on a 1000cc...rolling start, dead stop, through corners...people just have the misconception that anyone on a 1000 can smoke anyone...its the rider...and im not sayin i'd beat everyone but alot there are alot of people on bikes that they dont konw what to do with them..

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    Get a used 600 for cheap if it's your first bike. If you get bored you can make your money back in a year. Google what to look for in a used bike, curved sprocket teeth, swingarm, bent wheels, etc. A little rash on the plastics is no biggie if the frame is straight. And no R titles, not worth it. For $3000-4000 you can find a bike capable of low 11 second quarters and sub 4 second 0-60, yea it's a 600 but you can't tell me thats not fast, especially for a beginner! A used 600 is still the eqivalent of a 1000 hp car!

Quote Originally Posted by F4iDom
    Get a used 600 for cheap if it's your first bike. If you get bored you can make your money back in a year. Google what to look for in a used bike, curved sprocket teeth, swingarm, bent wheels, etc. A little rash on the plastics is no biggie if the frame is straight. And no R titles, not worth it. For $3000-4000 you can find a bike capable of low 11 second quarters and sub 4 second 0-60, yea it's a 600 but you can't tell me thats not fast, especially for a beginner! A used 600 is still the eqivalent of a 1000 hp car!
    Not even close.

Any yes low 11 sec quarter is fast. Except when you are riding with a bunch of bikes that are low 10 sec. Its all in relationship

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Damien
    Not a 600? maybe years ago, todays 600s put out about 123 crankshaft horsepower at 13,500 rpm. Thats top speed 170 mph. Should be plenty.

Totally agree here. Also agree with wanting to bump up from the 600 within a month but a 600 these days ('05+) have much more power then the older ones.

I started with a 600 and had it less then a month. Swapped for a 750 and been riding 1000's ever since. HUUUUUUUUGE difference between the 600 and the 1000 but I'd still say a 600 to learn on.

1k is waaaay too much for a beginner. Any post '00 600's will do fine. It's really not about 0-60, or top speed - it's about fun, enjoing the ride and occationally being able to show off , you have more chances loosing controll of a 1000 as a beginner - too much bike!

my first bike was a r6 had it 3 months went to a r1. For ever day riding with a bunch of buddies 600 can get old. But if you plain on stunting 600 is perfect.

Do not get a 1000 to start with. find a cheap 600 so you can get a handel of it and go from there. that way if you want to upgrade you will not lose any money

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member
    go ahead and get the 600 but be sure and have your donor card filled out. If you are a novice rider i know you will put your bike down a time or two, we have done it. ride smart take the motor cycle safety course and start small for the first six month to a year them move up. good luck and enjoy riding is a blast!

MotoXracer is offline Associate Member
    SV650. I had a cbr600rr for a while and don't let these people tell you it's slow, 600's a plenty fast for beginners.

But, and SV650 is a great bike for so many reasons.
    1. It's a GREAT track bike, you can race it in alot of classes
    2. It has a huge aftermarket.
    3. It's a Naked bike so insurance is alot cheaper.
    4. it's a twin so it has alot of "streetable" power.

And let me just say this, a beginner bike is just that, for beginners. It doesn't mean that you have to keep it forever. You don't go to the gym and push up 300+ pound bench presses your first day, you build up to that. Same thing with Streetbikes, you move up in bike size as your skill improves.

It all your interested in is going fast in a straight line and doing wheelies, then get a liter bike. It you want to become a good RIDER, start small and work your way up. CHeck out this video of a guy on an SV650 pulling on a liter bike in the corners, the liter bike only pulls away on the straights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR9UU1lZD2A

It's not a bad looking bike either.

it is ugly, I think...but you can dress it up though. There are kits you can get...fairings, diff cans, etc - it's a fun bike to ride. Def. not an attention getter . Insurance IS cheaper (not by much)

K.Biz is offline Banned
    I found a GSXR i liked a lot around here, very low miles (2800)... its a 600cc, stock and mint. I cant test drive it cause theres damn snow on the ground. sound real nice though. and its goin for 3200. and its gunmetal i think i found a winner

K.Biz is offline Banned
    anyway wanted to thank everyone for there help. Ended up buying a bike 2 days ago and of course it snowed yesterday and today in mass. so of course thats how it would work. my baby is still at the dealership cause i cant drive it home

anyway i picked myself up a 05 Yamaha R1 Raven. Things is so nice, and i cant wait to finally ride it, i only got a nice 5 min test drive. oh well so pumped for nice weather, and thanks for all the reviews.

Fixr is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K.Biz
    So im taking the plunge. gonna get me a bike whats a good bike for a beginner? i have been riding dirt bikes since i was a lil kid so im not that much of a beginner but i was thinking something around 600cc

Let me know what you think...
    I started on a 955 cc Triumph Sprint with no riding experience at all and it was fine. A 600cc bike will go 150+ easily and accellerate to 130+ in the quarter mile. A 1000cc bike will do 160+ and hit around 140 in the quarter. See a big difference? I dont. Where I do see a difference is in how you ride it. If you ride it like you stole it all the time, you will crash any bike including a big slow cruiser.
    Another thing to consider is you personal size. I am 6'3" and 215 so I dont fit on a lot of sportbikes and definitely not on a 600.
    I wouldnt worry too much about the displacement and I would worry a lot about riding skills. Every full blown sportbike(600 or 1000) WILL outperform 98% of street riders abilities by a long shot, so it is not so much the machine as it is the rider.
    just my .02

Fixr is offline Associate Member
    anyway wanted to thank everyone for there help. Ended up buying a bike 2 days ago and of course it snowed yesterday and today in mass. so of course thats how it would work. my baby is still at the dealership cause i cant drive it home

anyway i picked myself up a 05 Yamaha R1 Raven. Things is so nice, and i cant wait to finally ride it, i only got a nice 5 min test drive. oh well so pumped for nice weather, and thanks for all the reviews.
    Great choice, you will be very happy. The R1's have pretty comfy ergo's for a superbike and they are bulletproof reliability wise. Good luck.

P.S. - ONE THING THATS REAL IMPORTANT FOR A NOVICE TO REMEMBER!!! MOTORCYCLE TIRES ARE VERY SLICK WHEN THEY ARE NOT WARMED UP, BE JUDICIOUS WITH THE THROTTLE UNTIL THE TIRES GET STICKY. TRUST ME ON THIS, I LEARNED THE HARD WAY.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoXracer
    SV650. I had a cbr600rr for a while and don't let these people tell you it's slow, 600's a plenty fast for beginners.

But, and SV650 is a great bike for so many reasons.
    1. It's a GREAT track bike, you can race it in alot of classes
    2. It has a huge aftermarket.
    3. It's a Naked bike so insurance is alot cheaper.
    4. it's a twin so it has alot of "streetable" power.

And let me just say this, a beginner bike is just that, for beginners. It doesn't mean that you have to keep it forever. You don't go to the gym and push up 300+ pound bench presses your first day, you build up to that. Same thing with Streetbikes, you move up in bike size as your skill improves.

It all your interested in is going fast in a straight line and doing wheelies, then get a liter bike. It you want to become a good RIDER, start small and work your way up. CHeck out this video of a guy on an SV650 pulling on a liter bike in the corners, the liter bike only pulls away on the straights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR9UU1lZD2A

It's not a bad looking bike either.
    dude that bikes fugly
    And kbiz I started on a 600 and loved it but the hp got tired real Fast consider 750 great bike and its something you will enjoy for couple years,rather then getting a bike youll enjoy for a couple months and get bored of.

K.Biz is offline Banned
    thanks boys

and fixr, yes i no, i also learned the hard way. i was riding a friends bike with brand new tires and ended up dumping the bike on a turn a lil while ago, cut my leg up pretty bad, but saved the bike from damage

K.Biz is offline Banned
    Ohh and a pick of my baby at the dealership, gonna go get it tomo if it doesnt f*cking snow tomo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails To all the crotch rocket riders..-raven-black.jpg  

MotoXracer is offline Associate Member
    You bought an R1 for a first bike lol... I hope your carefull man, they are not a beginner bike by a long shot. You said you used to ride dirtbikes all the time, you just bought the equivalent of a 500cc 2 stroke. Just wear your helmet, gloves and jacket and have fun and be safe!

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Ohh and a pick of my baby at the dealership, gonna go get it tomo if it doesnt f*cking snow tomo
    R1 for first bike ?! Why do people even ask for advice anymore ?

All i can say is wear all your gear and remember to tuck and roll.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    That bike is sick. I'd love one, but I'm too much of a pussy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information