Considering a bike - Any advice for guys who have one, throw me some advice

Aright guys heres the questions....try not flame but here is what the deal is.

1) I have never rode a bike before...I have rode dirtbikes with clutches but never a street bike. I can learn from a friend hopefully it won't be tough to learn.

2) I dont have a car at school which is the main reason im considering it. It's a pain in the ass to get around with a vehicle which limits me getting a job thats further than 30 min walking distance.
    - Gas I assume is much cheaper
    - The bike itself used I believe is cheaper
    - Insurance I think can be affordable for a bike

- So heres my question....do you think this is a stupid idea. Main reason's are stated above and I dont plan on getting one to go 160.
    - What would be a decent starter bike that I can get used for maybe the 4,000-8,000 price range. I figure I can save this up and afford to spend it without getting in the way of other costs over the summer.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    First thing -- enroll in a Motorcycle Rider Safety Class . . . any motorcycle dealership in your area can tell you where to find one in your area. It's a 3 day class (Friday night, Saturday, & Sunday), and it will give you about 2 years worth of wisdom you'd otherwise learn the hard way. It will also get you reduced insurance premiums. And, most importantly, it will probably save your life.

As far as what bike to get -- It used to be, back in the 1970's, that nobody started out on a bike larger than 250 cc. Nowadays, conventional wisdom is that if you start out with a 250 cc bike, you're gonna regret it because you'll quickly outgrow it.
    Me, I started with a 500 cc bike, and it was plenty fast for me -- faster acceleration than a Corvette. Who needs more than that? I dunno . . .

If you want a good all-around bike, take a look at the Honda Nighthawk

Used 750 Nighthawks go for $3000 or so
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...94034179QQrdZ1
    http://www.hondanighthawks.net/750.htm

New 250 cc bikes go for $3800
    http://powersports.honda.com/motorcy...ModelId=CB2507

It's a Honda, and this particular model is legendary for reliability. I've read reviews, and it routinely bested other similar bikes. Plus, it's not a crotch rocket, and insurance will be a lot cheaper.

Hey thanks alot for the post. I will definately look into that course. Does it cost money and what would you expect the insurance to be on a 19 year old with 0 accidents(not sure if it matters with cars) in the state of Florida(insurance is generally cheaper here).

That bike looks ok but not what im accustomed to seeing my peers ride.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    State Farm wanted $900 to insure my bike. Another company gave me full insurance for $155 the first year, and it went down to $90 the second. I forget the name of the company (it might have been Progressive), but ask some other bikers or motorcycle salespeople who insures their bike. At any rate, check around, compare prices, they'll vary greatly.

Insurance will also vary depending on what type of bike you get. Crotch rockets will cost you extra, cruisers and standards (the Nighthawk is a standard), bigger engines cost more. You get a discount for age, years of riding experience, and having taken a motorcycle class.
    For a big crotch rocket, don't be surprised if they want a few thousand $$$ for an inexperienced teenage rider. Ya, the 750 Nighthawk looks a bit "plain," but it's definately a great ride. It's actually comfortable to ride for distance, it's reliable, and a proven design. They made lots of 'em, parts should still be easy to find for the used bikes, and as you've seen, used Nighthawks go for cheap.

If I was gonna buy a bike for me, I'd go for something else, like a Honda PC800, because it's got a built-in lockable trunk
    http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mchonda/pc800.html
    but I gather you're wanting something with a bit more oomph to it . . .

Oh ya, about the Motorcycle Rider Safety Course
    http://www.msf-usa.org/
    I paid $95 for my class back in 1995 here in Dallas. Have no idea what they charge nowadays, but some motorcycle dealers will reimburse the tuition if you buy a bike from them.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Buy a car. A bike shouldn't be your only mode of transportation. Insurance on a bike is usually more in Florida then other states.

Foskamink is offline Banned
    a 250cc is great to learn on, plenty more power then most cars. dont need much higher in my opinion. thats if you want a sports style bike, but if your looking for a cruiser i would say 500-600. i hadnt riden dirt bikes in years, i got on my brothers 85cc bike and went arround a few hours over a few months, jumped on sports bike and road it off no problem, just need to know the basics about rideing and take it easy and work up in my opinion.

Jiesel is offline Associate Member
    If you can get in to a class like Tock recommended then do that, but It usually like a 3-6 month wait. I'd recommend find a cheap used bike, and I mean cheap. Heres my story.

In late April of 06' I decided I wanted a bike, looked in to classes and they were booked 6 months plus. Studied the manual and took the computer written test, passed It like cake after studying the hour before. I found a college student who was graduating and moving back home across the country and was looking to unload his POS dirty cheap. Went and checked her out. 1986 Kawasaki ***550. It was sweet, he said It needed a new battery. He wanted $800, I gave him $650 and threw the bike in my truck. Took It home put a new battery in and nothing. Took It to a repair shop, ended up having some kinda wiring ground Issue to start and needed a light bulb, bill costed $65 bucks. It was a mean ass bike now. Drove It around for 5 days geting the hang of It then went and did the street test. Passed like cake again and got my permit. By now It was late May 06', got Insurance on the bike through Progressive @ $80/month, drove It around all summer until mid August 06' then sold the bike to some dude for $1200. Had a great summer on a motorcycle, realized It was fun but wasnt really for me, plus wasnt worth the risk of geting hurt on the bike, and made some money out of the deal. Moral of story buy cheap and make sure Its for you, then buy a big boy later on.

stuball is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyTampa09
    Aright guys heres the questions....try not flame but here is what the deal is.

1) I have never rode a bike before...I have rode dirtbikes with clutches but never a street bike. I can learn from a friend hopefully it won't be tough to learn.

2) I dont have a car at school which is the main reason im considering it. It's a pain in the ass to get around with a vehicle which limits me getting a job thats further than 30 min walking distance.
    - Gas I assume is much cheaper
    - The bike itself used I believe is cheaper
    - Insurance I think can be affordable for a bike

- So heres my question....do you think this is a stupid idea. Main reason's are stated above and I dont plan on getting one to go 160.
    - What would be a decent starter bike that I can get used for maybe the 4,000-8,000 price range. I figure I can save this up and afford to spend it without getting in the way of other costs over the summer.
    If your gonna drink like you did the other night i think you only mode of trasportation should be a bus !!!

HAHAHA Stuball...but seriously guys thanks for all the posts...that nighthawk sounds good with the great rep it has. Im going to look for a class and ask my friend to take me out and see if its for me...what do I have to lose.

stuball is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyTampa09
    HAHAHA Stuball...but seriously guys thanks for all the posts...that nighthawk sounds good with the great rep it has. Im going to look for a class and ask my friend to take me out and see if its for me...what do I have to lose.
    Good luck bro ...

lpicken is offline Associate Member
    I have a Suzuki SV-650 and it is a great all around bike. Crotch Rockets are cool, but they don't make good daily drivers. The SV-650 is very comfortable, yet sporty.

stacked566 is offline Associate Member
    Definitely take the course, my little brother did, and he was terrible before, but now I'll let him ride my race bike around town if he feels like feeling some raw power. Since you are obviously interested in a sports bike, a 2001 or newere gsxr 600 would be your best bet. They are very attractive and modern styled and cheap as hell. An 01 can be had for 2K with no accidents and decent miles. If you buy it out right you should only have liabilty and theft, because bikes arent that expensive to fix if you wreck em and that'll lower insurance costs. Idk about you, but I hate cruisers, the only bike I would consider (and currently own) other than a full on sport bike is the TL 1000 twin from suzuki. Fun to ride around campus. Other investment you should consider, frame sliders, and a real leather jacket. Saved my ass when I low sided @ 50mph, and I'm a racer so it was just a freak accident thing, can happen to anyone.

Jiesel is offline Associate Member
    got an 05 Kawasaki 500R, black/silver, 750k......$4800

QUIKGSX is offline New Member
    You dont need insurance on a bike in florida..Buy a GSXR 750 or 1000, never buy a 600..

numbat is offline Member
    I find my rocket to be an excellent bike for everyday riding..Of course i dont ride it when its raining or freezing ass cold.I took 3 200+ mile trips last week and my rear was getting a lil tender near the end.That was mostly due to hauling balls up long windy roads and moving around on the seat constantly...Like said above beware of insurance it will eat ur ass..Im 25 wit a clean record and running a 06 636 through me was 3700$ A YR .

blackhalo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QUIKGSX
    You dont need insurance on a bike in florida..Buy a GSXR 750 or 1000, never buy a 600..
    man i hope that was a joke or you are just a squid....

Quote Originally Posted by blackhalo
    man i hope that was a joke or you are just a squid....

Y??I live in fla and own a bike, which i dont pay insurance for...considered a recreational vehicle just like quads or dirt bikes..

numbat is offline Member

Sorry bro i gotta have insurance...I got a 636 that runs right wit and by all the 750's and the liters up the mountains and such.. Anyone can buy a busa or 1000 and run 200 up the interstate.

Where im from its still a 600...just our mentality i guess..I dont doubt that with some work it would have no problem staying next to a 750 or an older 1000, but the new GSXR 1000 are badass bro...

numbat is offline Member
    yeah no doubt there bad ..We got a 06 gsxr 1000 and an 07 zx-10 in our group..The only time they really own me is on the interstate ..I can pick on em a lil bit in the twisties

Yea an all around bike is good, no one needs to do 180 everywhere

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    I have a 1953 bmw R25/2, and i love it. Gets like 80 mpg, it's cool as hell, and did i mention it's cool as hell?
    Last edited by Dude-Man; 03-14-2007 at 03:22 PM.

numbat is offline Member
    Yea an all around bike is good, no one needs to do 180 everywhere

Not everywhere but all sportbike riders drop the hammer from time to time..Im also not saying a 600 is the last step beat all bike but something that runs 0 -60 in 3 secs and does a buck70 is nothing to play with..Besides 90% will never get full potential out of a new age supebike period..

Thread Information