Pro_built7 is offline Member

Any LT1 / LS1 guys out there?

yo, I was just wondering what you thought of your LT1 / LS1 ??
    gas mileage, performance capabilities, reliability etc. thinkin about buyin an LT1 camaro soon and building it up, (deferred by gas mileage tho)
    thanks bros

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Go LS1, dont have the damn opti spark and get great MPG.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    LS1 is better for car playing and not much more expensive.

LT1 is better if you are going to build up a truck though

LS1 is a faster engine than the LT1 and it runs great. YOu can beat it up and it doens't give much. If it's a standard ls1 (camaro or trans am) expect some clutch rattle.

Also LS1 and LT1 tend to back fire a lil when Warming up and if you use cheap gas.

i get about 250 miles per a tank with my ls1... but i drive hard and in a lot of traffic. 14 gallon tank.
    Last edited by zimmy; 03-20-2007 at 09:11 AM.

UpstateTank is offline Banned
    i want one...im still a 3rd gen carbureted chump

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    I have the LS1 engine in my '99 vette.

Cruising at 70-75, I get about 28mpg. In the city, low 20's high teens depending on how I'm driving

I know it's not a camaro but assuming it's the same engine?
    Mine has been reliable so far. I have less than 30,000 miles on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by audis4
    I have the LS1 engine in my '99 vette.

Cruising at 70-75, I get about 28mpg. In the city, low 20's high teens depending on how I'm driving

I know it's not a camaro but assuming it's the same engine?
    Mine has been reliable so far. I have less than 30,000 miles on the clock.
    yea same but yers is more powerful from tuning/exhaust

ls1's in vettes were 350horse
    camaro/firebirds-310ish(somecorrect me if wrong) & even more (325-345?) for SS's and firehawks

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UpstateTank
    yea same but yers is more powerful from tuning/exhaust

ls1's in vettes were 350horse
    camaro/firebirds-310ish(somecorrect me if wrong) & even more (325-345?) for SS's and firehawks

ss's and trans am ran at 310

normal trans am (w/o air induction) and normal camaro (v8 model) run at 305.

firechickens run 325

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    ss's and trans am ran at 310

normal trans am (w/o air induction) and normal camaro (v8 model) run at 305.

firechickens run 325
    BINGO!

tank you jimmY!

Shane35aa is offline Senior Member
    Been checking out LS1 crate engines for my vette. About $3400 for a new one from GM 100,000 mi 36 month warranty. Which is killer considering the abuse I give one. Still up in the air might throw in a big block instead for shits and giggles. Its the 350 horse to would make good enigne to play around. Not sure itf its 2 or 4 bolt mains. Still got to do some looking around. Considering this for time factor and its such a pain in ass to find a good machine shop to rebuild them yourself any more.

ecivon is offline Member

Ls-1

These are the facts on the LS-1 as it sits in my 2002 SLP SS Camaro convertible:

Top rated engine is 345hp, rated at 350 ft/lbs torque. All aluminum block and modified heads and oversized throttle body. The motor is only 347ci. It is governed to top out at top end at near 170mph only because of liability reasons concerning after market tires being installed by owners that may not be Z rated. Ungoverned top end is over 180mph. The factory GoodYear F-1's are unbelievablly sticky but are good for only about 12,000 miles.

The way this engine and suspension are set-up is outstanding. For just a 347ci motor it delivers truly punishing performance, yet on the freeway at 70mph the motor is turning just 1,500 rpm's. I get 450 miles to a tank of gas on the freeway and it is a 16 gallon tank -- 28 mpg.

SLP has another engine that I'd like to get ahold of, a stroked LS-1 to 402ci, either low or high compression, either cast iron, or all aluminum and can easily support over 600hp.

I thought the Z06 Vette had a all aluminum 427 doesn't it ??

oh ya, do any of you guys have a big cam like .510 or .585 lift with a big rear end like 4.10 ???. how does that affect gas mileage i do mostly cruising at 55. but i like to get on it once and a while what do you think ?

Blog Entries
    LS1 has a four bolt main.

The new Z06 has the lS7 427, prior to that it was the ls6 with a rating of 405hp

hey musclescience what do you think the LT1 has as much potential as the LS1, ?

aadrenaline is offline Banned
    cobra FTW!!! haha

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    I had both..

a 2000 LS1 engine
    and a 1996 LT1 engine..

I liked the LS1 alot more!
    It was quiet and just felt a lot better.

but when i had the LS1 it was brand new, the LT1 was already 5 years old.

.45Caliber is offline Associate Member
    http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm

Here is a site about LT1's, if your interested. I have a 94 vet with a LT1. I like it, but never drove the newer LS1.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro_built7
    hey musclescience what do you think the LT1 has as much potential as the LS1, ?

Ls1 for sure, If you have ever had to f-ck with the optispark on an lt1 you know they are a nightmire. Plus the intake manifold is of much better design, the ls1 just flows better. Not to say you cant make a bad ass LT1 my body has a 96 z-28 that has all custom heads and a huge cam, and forged internals. That thing is a torque monster. If you put a carburator on the LT1 then I think you can get lots of power out of it but that defeats the purpose of having EFI. Its easier to tune an LS1 computer to versus an LT1.

I would have to say though you can make a pretty bad ass car out of both of them, dont think you can go wrong either way.

i want accel dfi sooooooooooooo bad

im sick of my 670 street avenger

I'm debating right now I could find an LT1 based camaro around 5k, or an LS1 for around 7k, but would i rather put the extra 2k into mods hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience
    Ls1 for sure, If you have ever had to f-ck with the optispark on an lt1 you know they are a nightmire. Plus the intake manifold is of much better design, the ls1 just flows better. Not to say you cant make a bad ass LT1 my body has a 96 z-28 that has all custom heads and a huge cam, and forged internals. That thing is a torque monster. If you put a carburator on the LT1 then I think you can get lots of power out of it but that defeats the purpose of having EFI. Its easier to tune an LS1 computer to versus an LT1.

I would have to say though you can make a pretty bad ass car out of both of them, dont think you can go wrong either way.
    ya I've heard the LT1's are a little stronger on low end torque, why tho? oh and do you know what cam he's running like how big ?

I'm debating right now I could find an LT1 based camaro around 5k, or an LS1 for around 7k, but would i rather put the extra 2k into mods hmmmm
    i tink u could get one of those LT4 convesrion kits for around 2...comes w/ intake heads n cam...its supposed to give u like 425horse or around there

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    You can make a lot more power with a ls1 ove the lt1. I have built blown lt1 makeing 750hp at the crank on pumped fuel. That was the most the bolcks could handle. The ls1 we have makeing over 1000 with room to go. I

Blog Entries
    ya I've heard the LT1's are a little stronger on low end torque, why tho? oh and do you know what cam he's running like how big ?
    Dont know but its big,

I think you will be a lot happier with going the LS1 route the extra two grand you spend would cost you at least that much to get the Lt1 up to the ls1 stock power levels in all reality.

VWbug66 is offline Senior Member
    i got an 86 chevy short bed truck with an LT1..badasss man...at work i actually make fiberglass covers for the lt1'sls1's ls2's...carbon fiber or just any color...im into cars man, fuk fords chevy's are the best fuka mustang i'll beat its fukin ass!! hahah all u chevy's guys know what im talkin bout

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    99 LS1 TA vert right here, 350 to the wheels through an auto...12.6 1/4 with m/t's

gigem is offline Banned
    man i love them camaros and TAs i actuallt like the TAs better. cant believe gm quit prod on em but hey the new camaro is here cant wait to see them on the streets im a big mopar fan but still love them bowties

Saunacrank is offline Associate Member
    LS2, Im building one right now thats supposed to pump out about 750 hp on pump gas with a single turbo. I have a 385 right now that runs on trick fuel and paying 7 bucks a gallon is starting to make me wanna die

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saunacrank
    LS2, Im building one right now thats supposed to pump out about 750 hp on pump gas with a single turbo. I have a 385 right now that runs on trick fuel and paying 7 bucks a gallon is starting to make me wanna die
    You have a GTO? where are you at that you pay 7 dollars a gallon.

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience
    You have a GTO? where are you at that you pay 7 dollars a gallon.
    i think he is using race gas...120 octane or something like that

no I have a 67 camaro, my 385 has 64cc heads, domed pistons, and the top of the block is decked down, so I have 13.9:1 Compression. Yeah as number twelve stated I'm usuing Trick. Sorry didn't clarify before. And the LS2 is either going in my 67 camaro or a 69 if I can find one.

Blog Entries
    no I have a 67 camaro, my 385 has 64cc heads, domed pistons, and the top of the block is decked down, so I have 13.9:1 Compression. Yeah as number twelve stated I'm usuing Trick. Sorry didn't clarify before. And the LS2 is either going in my 67 camaro or a 69 if I can find one.
    Thats sweet!!!!!!!!

It sucks cus speed is so addictive. Whatever engine you have, you're always going to want something faster.

On a lighter note there was an import show the other day, on the way out I raced a modded Evo 8, put him to such shame I'm sure he went home and wept to himself. Then raced an STi, it seemed as though he was standing still once I took off. I love having a muscle car.

So my buddy got an Iroc last week, we're planning on getting some mesh tank tops and mullet wigs to roll around in. White snake will be blasting in the backround no doubt.

Blog Entries
    I hate imports, musclecars rule. I am spending lots of money on my procharged TA. I have 505 dynoed rwhp and I want 700 now. It is so addictive, I just cant stop.

Oh the iroc thing, totally go for it that will be awesome.

GETINLARGE is offline Junior Member
    Just Sold My 99 Ls1 C5, Bought A Srt-4 Neon Hahahha. Well Just As Fast

some little weiner with a srt4 pulled up next to me the other day, revved his engine and purged his nitrous, it was really really cute, we were on the waterfront where theres always tons of people and his little ricer got its doors blown off, it was as if he wasn't moving. I didn't even use the 250 shot I just installed. Would have just to rub it in more, but my bottle wasn't open. I need to get one of those remote bottle openers

I'm gonna go finish waxing my car and drive it around right now actually, I feel inspired

Blog Entries
    I'm gonna go finish waxing my car and drive it around right now actually, I feel inspired
    HAHAHAH, I just moved to KC on the rich part of town and I have seen 3 new z06's, 2 vipers and 2 cobras so many cars to kill so little time.

just got back, saw a ****in McLaren SLR, I was parked talkin to my gf and he drove by, heavy traffic too. Sucks cus that woulda been a fun race for me,.....to about 140, at which point he would've blown past me

ya, screw those little ricers, only milk and juice come in 2 litres

Thread Information