Terinox is offline The One & Only

DIVX-DVD Player???

Does anyone have a DVD player that supports DIVX playback? And if so, how is the quality, are you satisfied with its DIVX ability? Also, is it just a regular one, or an UP CONVERTING HD player?

Also, when you burn the DIVX movie to CD, is there something SPECIFIC you have to name it or something, or a way you need to burn it? I already have a TON of DIVX burnt CD's, but they are all just "data burn" cd's, and all the files have the extension of "AVI." So is that good enough? Would the player automatically recognize it? Or does the extension have to be something like ".divx"

Thnx,
    T.

Damon88 is offline New Member
    DIVX players can just play AVIs saved as data. You can get 3-4 movies on one CD.
    I know Toys R Us and Home Depot just recently had some on sale for around $20-$30 (CAN).

I didn't by an upconverting one, but I hear they are pretty good. Imo not woth the money yet.
    I bought a decent DVD player for $70, and I am happy with it.
    You can burn movies in a few minutes, rather than having to convert and burn one movie.

aknopf95 is offline Junior Member
    quality would depend on the divx file and how it was ripped, not just the player

Okay thanks guys, I might invest the money and try it out, I've seen name brand up-converting DVD/divx players for about 50-60 bux.

Thnx,
    T.

I got an el-cheapo Daytek DV5601 from Future Shop (around $60can)

It plays everything I can throw at it... I just burn a data dvd with anything I want on it and it plays it. DiVX movies, MPG or MPEG movies, MP3's, it even slideshows JPG pictures.

I'm happy with it... I got one for my kids room too so he can download and watch movies all he wants.

Red

manwithin is offline Associate Member
    I bought an oppo DVD up converter for $150.00 shipped
    It plays everything and I mean everything and it has a usb port that you can play divx files from... Also cnet.com gave it a high rating they even said that it up convertered better then player three times the cost..

Quote Originally Posted by manwithin
    it has a usb port that you can play divx files from...
    Now THAT is an awesome idea!!!

Use a USB pendrive instead of wasting CD's or DVD's to watch downloaded DiVX movies... wow!

Red

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Now THAT is an awesome idea!!!

Use a USB pendrive instead of wasting CD's or DVD's to watch downloaded DiVX movies... wow!

Red
    Or get a bluetooth usb adapter and share all your media from your laptop! I've got an older computer that I set up as a media center network that is directly connected to the tv so I can watch everything I download on the tv. Yep, I'm a nerd.

I got something similar Stone

I run an old computer with a hauppage PVR150 card and BeyondTV as a PVR. Got it hooked up to my Viewsat with BEV and Dish wide open.

It's on my home LAN so I can download movies to it and watch, or use it as PVR to record or "pause" live TV (sort of like a home built tivo).

I like my toys

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    I got something similar Stone

I run an old computer with a hauppage PVR150 card and BeyondTV as a PVR. Got it hooked up to my Viewsat with BEV and Dish wide open.

It's on my home LAN so I can download movies to it and watch, or use it as PVR to record or "pause" live TV (sort of like a home built tivo).

I like my toys

Red
    Damn you guys do some crazy ass hook ups, , all sound pretty cool, yet complex. I've thought about hooking up a PC to the TV, but I do like the idea of the DVD player with a USB port. I might just get the cheaper model for now, I'm sure it would do me good for at least 2 years, if not more, could always upgrade down the road

Thnx,
    T.

Thread Information