Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~

3 MORE fish DIED!

im not even sad anymore IM JUST ****ING FURIOUS! 600$+ gone just like that kuz? iono i test the water ammonia is high but they give false positives all the time too depending on the type of ammonia so iono.. i think im gonna just start going POSTAL and shooting people till i get up to bout 600bux worth of deaths that way ><

and the only mother ****er in the god damn world that carries these types of fish has the most god awful strongest accent ever and neither of us can understand the other and just trying to get him my cc number alone takes 2hrs >< great.. just great

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    im sorry tai

Mr Tick is offline Associate Member
    Dam that sucks man!!

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    How big is your tank dude? The more water you have the easier it is to keep proper chemistry... 10 gallons are a pain in the ass... get something HUGE!

kwakisaki is offline Associate Member
    huge

STYLE74 is offline Got Style?
    Sorry all your fish are dying tai.

king6 is offline Anabolic Member
    I think they are comitting suicide just to make you mad.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Tai, I think I know what is causing the rise in ammonia!

Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!
    what kind of fish did u have?

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member
    i too have just got my tank water tested, turns out the ammonia isnt a problem now, its the nitrate levels. 3 of my 4 new fish have just died, and the one thats left looks funky drunk. although my fish are tropical, and alot less expensive, its still fvcking annoying

Exclamation

its a 150gal, w/ uber filtration, UV filter, some uber WATTAGE BULBS (for my plants plus im trying to slow cook my fish so i can eat them some day). and the most expesnive gayest substrate money can buy (i started buying the real expensive substrate for my plants.. after i bot it.. then i payed attention to how much it cost.. I COULDA bot another tank but oh well )

the thing thats funny is.. i bot this really rare fire eel thing (I even let mizfit name it and she pickd the name SNICKERS wtf?!).. and they cost an arm leg and 3 testicals... lil fuxers BURROW! and i never see him since i got like 6inches of GAY substrate (yes substrate has a sexual pereference).. he just STAYS UNDERGROUND..but now.. that half the tank has perished.. he comes saundering out like nothing happned... (I THINK HE DID IT! EVIL NINJA FISH)

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior

I have that exact toilet lid at the salon I would love to have the toilet too
    Where did you get that pic?

rubix6 is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior

whoa.. that is really cool!

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    Im thinking about getting a fish tank as well but don't know if I have the time that the salt water fish require.

Rye_guy is offline Member
    try a pet thats easier and less expensive tai. get a hamster or something

king6 is offline Anabolic Member
    Snickers.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    i used to have a slat water tank, everything died on me daily, i eventualy scraped it. i lost alot of money on it and the salt water rusted all the metal on my dressers and radiators

Quote Originally Posted by king6
    Snickers.
    i know >< thats the last time i ever ask a chick for input ON ANYTHING!

odix is offline Member
    we Had about 18 fish, all but a little sucker fish and smaller one died for some reason, the tank had the plague, we changed the water and filter and everything. get rid of the fish. go with a reptile.

singern is offline Banned
    I feel your pain.
    I have a 120 gallon Bow front, Reef tank. Had it up for about 7 years now. Although it doesnt happen very often , I get really upset when a fish or coral dies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 MORE fish DIED!-myreeftank2007.jpg  

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by singern
    I feel your pain.
    I have a 120 gallon Bow front, Reef tank. Had it up for about 7 years now. Although it doesnt happen very often , I get really upset when a fish or coral dies.
    love salt water, just a pain int he ass to maintain

Rye_guy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    love salt water, just a pain int he ass to maintain

yeah, you have to make time to keep on em properly. but man are the sweet

hotstuff is offline Female Member
    change pets. ones that don't die so easily.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    try "saltwater fish for dummies"

.. i would recommend it to all the newbies when i worked at p/smart. =]

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69
    try "saltwater fish for dummies"

.. i would recommend it to all the newbies when i worked at p/smart. =]
    yeah.. seeing how they are amazonian fresh water ><

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    yeah.. seeing how they are amazonian fresh water ><
    "fresh water fish for dummies"

no honestly, id recommend a gold fish instead. than say "when you can keep a goldfish for 6 months little boy... than you can come back and get the big fish!!"
    (at this point the little kids would usually cry lol)

if i was still at petsmart that is.. ahem
    Last edited by Bojangles69; 03-28-2007 at 09:02 PM.

D-Bo Dre is offline Member
    im not even sad anymore IM JUST ****ING FURIOUS! 600$+ gone just like that kuz? iono i test the water ammonia is high but they give false positives all the time too depending on the type of ammonia so iono.. i think im gonna just start going POSTAL and shooting people till i get up to bout 600bux worth of deaths that way ><
    Damn bro, I know that feeling!! I have a 40gallon reef tank.. I threw a party one time at my house and the next morning my water was all F*cked up!! Some idiot probably thought it would be funny to pour a lil beer in my aquarium to get the fish drunk .. Long story short, I spent all day setting up a dozen quarantine's but ended up loosing about $300 worth of shit (fish included)!!

Next time instead of spending $600 worth of fish all at once u should make sure ur water is good and maybe one fish at a time.. softens the blow bro..

D-Bo Dre is offline Member
    I feel your pain.
    beautiful tank bro, that shroom is huge!

serious tai, im an expert on this (dont mean to brag) but what the hell "types" of ammonia are you talking about?
    theres either free ammonia or bound ammonia, one of which affects nothing. How many types of NH3 do your stips test for?
    Im a little confused atm.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

tinyguy2 is offline Member
    i won a pair of gold fish from a carnival for one dollar and they lasted at least five years

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69
    serious tai, im an expert on this (dont mean to brag) but what the hell "types" of ammonia are you talking about?
    theres either free ammonia or bound ammonia, one of which affects nothing. How many types of NH3 do your stips test for?
    Im a little confused atm.
    i have both the strips and the test tube(add x Drops) and they all indicated no issues w/ the ammonia, i also have ammonia indicators on my tank so i kan keep a steady watch on it. the thing that gets me is the nitrogen i add to my tank for my plants (its heavily planted) and i have been doing it for ever.. and it is in a special form which is supposedly HARMLESS to fish and readily availible to plants.

the thing that gets me is when my fish were dying they were doing the gulping motion that most fish due when the ammonia is high and sucking out the oxygen from their tissue. also a few of them had burnt nairs indicating ammonia spike as well since that is the first part of bichirs to be burnt.
    but i tested and didnt find any indication of ammonia spikes or anything of that sort.. but heres the kicker.. i took the pumps from my other tank put them on this one and increased airation DRASTICALLLY to offset the ammonia and after i did that.. the fish started getting frisky again. so im thinking since the increased air off set the DEATH.. it leads me to believe it was ammonia related from the nitrogen fertilizer stuff i have been using.. but .. its so odd even the PH remained at 6.8-6.9 and as long as ph stays fairly acidic ammonia spikes shouldnt be harmful so now im even more confused.

Just do weekly water changes and at least 99% of the problems go away

i have both the strips and the test tube(add x Drops) and they all indicated no issues w/ the ammonia, i also have ammonia indicators on my tank so i kan keep a steady watch on it. the thing that gets me is the nitrogen i add to my tank for my plants (its heavily planted) and i have been doing it for ever.. and it is in a special form which is supposedly HARMLESS to fish and readily availible to plants.

the thing that gets me is when my fish were dying they were doing the gulping motion that most fish due when the ammonia is high and sucking out the oxygen from their tissue. also a few of them had burnt nairs indicating ammonia spike as well since that is the first part of bichirs to be burnt.
    but i tested and didnt find any indication of ammonia spikes or anything of that sort.. but heres the kicker.. i took the pumps from my other tank put them on this one and increased airation DRASTICALLLY to offset the ammonia and after i did that.. the fish started getting frisky again. so im thinking since the increased air off set the DEATH.. it leads me to believe it was ammonia related from the nitrogen fertilizer stuff i have been using.. but .. its so odd even the PH remained at 6.8-6.9 and as long as ph stays fairly acidic ammonia spikes shouldnt be harmful so now im even more confused.

Do you have real plants? I like the fake ones, no problems

I feel your pain.

ooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! I like it Where do you keep the tank? I would be scared to put that much weight on my floor at home.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Bo Dre
    Damn bro, I know that feeling!! I have a 40gallon reef tank.. I threw a party one time at my house and the next morning my water was all F*cked up!! Some idiot probably thought it would be funny to pour a lil beer in my aquarium to get the fish drunk .. Long story short, I spent all day setting up a dozen quarantine's but ended up loosing about $300 worth of shit (fish included)!!

Next time instead of spending $600 worth of fish all at once u should make sure ur water is good and maybe one fish at a time.. softens the blow bro..
    My hats off to you for being able to put together a reef tank that small, every thing has to be perfect ps anopther reason I would never have a party at my house (mostly I can't stand people )

Great, a interesting thread for once and I'm the only one on it

If you could read or find the ingredients in the plant food Id really like to know. I found more than a few companies who fell WAYY short of thier claims and we had to stop ordering from the manufacturer because of it.

So Im dying to know what form this nitrogen is coming in, if its not nitrates Im guessing it may be urea but see if it says on the plant food. Now as to the fish breathing for air.

Realize this. ANY dissolved salt or gas will force oxygen OUT of the water because like 95% of any salt or gas you can think of has a higher solubility rate than oxygen. So even too much plant food can force out O2 so make sure your using the right dosages. And the crazy part is this.

The rate of absorption of plant food to plant is proportional to the amount of plants you have in the tank. And If your doing weekly/monthly plant food doses and the plants arent eating all the food quick enough, you essentially will have a slowly but constant rising level of plant food.

Now the manufactures say its not harmful to fish. But either is a little bit of salt. But too much of ANYTHING will kill a fish, and often it doesnt take a lot of any dissolved salt to force out enough O2 to kill fish.

Now ammonia CAN exist in an acidic environment contrary to logical belief (because ammonias naturally basic). Im not gonna get deep into the chemistry BUT you can have a neutralized salt that creates an acidic ph (neutralized salt doesnt mean its neutral, again Im not getting into the chemistry unless your really interested)

But you will have an acidic ph (from the salt) with the basic ammonia but the ammonia and salt are nonreactive to each other thus the ph stays acidic while the ammonia continues to rise.

But the ammonia will still show up on a strip test so thats always your reassurance.

And for some reason just from what Ive seen I dont think its ammonia spikes. When ammonia spikes it doesnt just go up and dissappear, its spikes UP and STAYS UP.

Unless you have something in the water to treat ammonia (other than the crappy ammolock products that dont work) Than yes it will actually fluctuate up and down. But if your not testing positive for ammonia Id ditch the whole ammonia issue as even being a problem.

Im actually concerned with first the plant food, and second the ph (again im not sure what these fish require and it wont make a drastic difference but..)
    on average should be around 7.4-7.6 for most fresh water fish than 8.2 for african cichlids.

If hypothetically speaking your breeder/distributer keeps these fish in anything (you said your tank was 6.8-6.9) less than a 5.8-5.9 or ABOVE 7.8-7.9 the fish can be going through ph shock. More likely though his ph would be higher, but I always test the breeders water before I put my fish in (except for ammonia because it will be flawed) my tank to make sure NOT that my water chemistry is PERFECT but to make sure my water mimics the breeders water than I slowly adjust it back to ideal from there. And YES A LOT of breeders have TERRIBLE water.
    If you worked in some of these major distruting places youd realize why.

But those are just some of my thoughts/opinions.
    Last edited by Bojangles69; 03-29-2007 at 02:23 PM.

singern is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goodcents
    ooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! I like it Where do you keep the tank? I would be scared to put that much weight on my floor at home.
    Thanks , actualy its not all that much work. 1 hour a week for cleaning, and Around 5 minutes a day for maintenance. The problem starts when you dont keep up the routine. then Algie, and other troubles start in. I keep it in the Dining room where it can be seen from several rooms of the house. The weight is distributed evenly across the stand which is in itself a huge peice of furniture so you dont need to worry about it falling through to the basement....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 MORE fish DIED!-mytank2007.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information