G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!

--------------> Is a Job in Computers Still worth it?

Just wondering what field in Computers is still in high demand/will stay in high demand and what are the best choices are far as schooling and getting certs are.

Thanks for your time everyone.

nuke is offline Member
    Not to piss on your parade. But I did recruitment in the IT world for 9 years. Its at an all time low now. The guys who used to make 10k-250k a year are maKING 40-60K AND ARE HAPPY.
    Go into radiology or something medical, Medical technologist, nuclear medicine ,CT,MRI.

Going to school for certs in IT is a waste . IMO !!!
    Radiology school is only 23 mths. And you get paid while going to school working in the hospitals.

I make my living by putting people like you to work !

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    I sadly must agree, the tech market has went really bad.

Im planning on more college and computers arent anywhere near my plans. I wish i would have went with something else.

In this day and age, almost everyone can upgrade their own computers, and companies want the techs to do clerk and non computer work mainly also along with the tech issues which really makes me angry.

All the years spent learning to be good at being a tech and jobs want me to have years of secretary experience along with it.

ibiza69 is offline Senior Member
    what about webdesign?

nuke is offline Member
    No flame. But I have a 10 year old cousin that can hang with some college grads !
    They start kids off at 3-4 years old now. Not knocking IT but go medical, or sales if you have that type of personality.......

I have been in sales since I graduated college in '93. Its the only job where you can make as much as you want !!

adaptations is offline Member
    As much as i DO agree, there are still areas of THE MIS/IT industry that are IN HIGH demand...

Take DataBase...Extrmley high demand for Them.
    Get some schooling on Oracle.

Thats one route to go...

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    I agree as well, up here in Canada, I hear they are only making about 50,000 as a juniour programmer, and even after some experience, like my brother, who as been doing programming for over 10 years now, is only making about 60,000. So overall, i don't think it's really worth it.

Another problem is that usually, when you hit the age of about 35-40, you start losing your "creative" edge (some people) and there are PLENTY of younger, CHEAPER programmers out there that can easily replace you. So unless you have a good contract of some kind, then they will just replace you with a brand new college grad. student. And they can get away with paying him half of what they are paying you

I was taking Comp Sci, just last year, my first year at Univ. of Toronto, dropped that shit, mostly cause i didn't like it as much as I though, it's probably better off getting into business.

My all time dream is still to become a cop though

sp33dg33k is offline Member
    if you want to make big cash in IT be prepared to never stop going to school.

i agree with adaptations there are alot of IT skills that are still in high demand (database admin (ms sql, oracle), network architect/sys admin w/cisco, developers with the lastest and greatest programming skills with web related aspects again tying into databases is very big.

maybe the IT recruitment boom is over but as the world becomes more "wired" everyday i can't see the IT profession being a poor choice of a career by any means.

work hard at anything and you will reap the rewards. (geez that sounds corny)

Padawan is offline Associate Member
    I agree that the boom is over, but there will always be a need for good IT people. Buddah is right, today's IT guy has to be able to do more than just run CAT5 and fix workstations. They want a guy that can do routers, cables, hardware, software, and even a little tech support. Some jobs even want programming skills. Talk about more than one person could realistically do. The days of $100K a year Network Admins are over. But, you can still make a good $40-60 doing it, which is a good wage. Just keep going to school and always keep learning.

skid is offline Banned
    Originally posted by ibiza69
    what about webdesign?
    in the dot.com rush, yes a web designer could pull in some serious dough. but now, unless you know a number of high-level languages like Java, C++, ASP.NET, Visual Basic, COM, SQL, etc., and have years of experience under your belt, you'll be lucky to pull more than $30k

my best advice: go to www.monster.com and do a search on the jobs listed in your interest and city and take a look at what other skills and experience they're looking for

good luck!

nuke is offline Member
    Great feedback guys. I agree with you all. I guess Iwas looking at it from the othr side.
    The recruitment boom is OVER ! And just to go over what you all said you will do a lot more and need to know alot more than the average joe these days.
    In IT now only the big dawgs can run.

adaptations is offline Member
    The Jobs are Out there, BUT you NEED to have the skills...

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Funny this came up. I have been teaching at college level for about 11 years now. Network admin(CNE back in that day, MCSE, etc... then got into programming database admin, taught that for 5 years) guess what, only had 2 students for next year in e-comm program so no program, which leaves me looking for job again. OVerall in our area, IT inrollment in DOWN 40% which is big hit.

Hey Nuke if your still in IT feild drop me a PM, willing to relocated.

nj_
    nj_ is offline Senior Member
    I suggest looking into an engineering major instead.

Also, the jobs are there, HIGH paying jobs, its just ensuring that you have the necessary qualifications and requirements to get those jobs.

5minsforfighting is offline Associate Member
    If you want to keep taking computer classes for the rest of your carrer then I would say go for it ... problem with IT is if you dont stay up to date with all the new technoligy .. you arent going to last long ..

ravaz is offline Associate Member
    IT market is sucking for full time jobs. But if you do consulting, then you might be OK. Look into Storage, lots of high paying jobs for Storage area networks. I would personally never go into any sort of development work. Think about how many graduates come out of school with a degree and learn programming in school. Stick with DBA, UNIX, and Storage, you will be happy with the money you make there.

Peace

nakkid is offline Honorary Member
    currently in high demand is internet applications development. c++, sql, oracle, visual.net, etc. building businesses online is the future imo.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    There is more to IT than just Unix boxes and network administrators. What about IT consulting (BRP), systems analysits, IS auditing, ERP implementations, etc. I think companies are looking for more business savvy IT people. A degree in MIS isn't a bad choice. btw, don't think that if you get some MCSE cert that it will replace a college degree, because it won't.

Thread Information