Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GETINLARGE is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooners04
    If all dog attack as much as pitbulls then tell me why pitbulls are the only ones who are being banned in countries and states?
    the reason pitbulls are banned from places is b/c they are the dog of choice for people commiting crimes, teaching them to become fighting dogs and so forth. at pitbull is just like you and me big and strong. people will feel threatened by someone or something big and strong. thats is the way life goes. thats what being overlooked especially on this forum. we are trying to make ourselves into super humans with a nice body and tons of strength. but thats exactly the characteristics a pitbull was born with. i have always wanted to get into the MMA. but this only came apon after i started getting bigger and working out. its nature to want to be the top "dog"

anyone that would fight a dog is in my mind a real low life. pittbulls are no different then any other dog out there.

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    hey scottish.....ive never pitted dogs or cocks, but grew up around it. i am saying the ONLY reason id keep a pitbull is to fight him, not to take him for walks in the park. and you dont know my type....

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottish
    Its not the nature of smaller dogs to become the alpha of the house. Most people arent afraid of a poodle or smaller dogs. Pits dont have a "nature" to attack.. Where do people come up with this stuff?
    Your compairing apples to oranges, poodles and pits. Did you forget that there are MANY other large dog breeds. How many cases of St. Bernards attacking people have you heard of or Collies or Golden Retrievers etc.... I see where your going with this, using poodles was just a bad choice to compare too.

scottish is offline Associate Member
    Its all good Sooner. My feathers get a little ruffled when the subject on viscous animals comes up. Weather it be a dog or bird..

I guess it comes down to people telling me what I can and cant own. Im a very responsible dog owner. I have 3 kids and at no time are they left alone with my dog. As much as I would like to say I trust my dog 100%, Im not willing to gamble with my kids health. Right now I just have 1 rotty. He just turned 1 years old. It was too expensive to stay in the pit bull game. All the BS insurance and crap.. See I have alot of kids that come over to my house. The first thing that any of my dogs learn, is that NOTHING BELONGS TO THEM PERIOD. Anyone even a baby, can take anything out of my dogs mouth. I think with the larger more dominant breeds, people get them, then the dog gets really big, and they get scared. The dog takes over the house hold, and whola someone is going to get bitten.

here is my boy Bing..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pit Bulls Vicious?-scottishtileandstone-324.jpg  

I understand that the larger dogs want to be dominant, BUT it just seems pits are doing the majority of the attacking. I still say genetics play a role here. Those dogs were bred years and years ago to fight, you can't take that away, but you can train it. Two untrained LARGE dogs one of which is a pitbull, I will take my chances with the other dog that has less of a history/origin of violent attacks.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Your compairing apples to oranges, poodles and pits. Did you forget that there are MANY other large dog breeds. How many cases of St. Bernards attacking people have you heard of or Collies or Golden Retrievers etc.... I see where your going with this, using poodles was just a bad choice to compare too.
    Herding breeds such as the collie is a very common dog to be involved in attacking people. This is becouse they are natural biters(nipping at cattle/sheep/etc legs to help heard them. Alot of little kids are hurt by hurding breeds.

Poodles(standard) are also known for being very temperamental. They aren't small and are athletic. I understand where your coming from but you picked two bad breeds to say dont attack.
    Last edited by Hunter; 05-12-2007 at 02:08 AM.

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    All you guy's sitting here dictating that APBT's were bred for fighting are correct, but you're leaving out one major aspect. These dogs were bred for fighting other dogs. In no way does that correlate to attacking or fighting humans. As I previously stated, APBT's are as good if not better than other dogs with humans, however they are aggressive towards other dogs period. This is something every owner should know and take reasonable precautions against so it doesn't become a problem.

One last note before I leave this ignorance ridden discussion, I want you to ask yourselfs where you here of all these "pitbull" attacks. More than likely you'll answer "from the news" cause I can assure you for the most part it's not from first hand experience. Now I want you to compare that with how AAS is portrayed by that same media outlet. Is it a negative portrayal that people who are uneducated on the subject believe?

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    This little guy would argue that they are indeed vicious, and his valor is being honored posthumously because of it.
    He could have ran me anytime!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html

M.
    Last edited by magic32; 05-12-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mn_fighter
    Herding breeds such as the collie is a very common dog to be involved in attacking people. This is becouse they are natural biters(nipping at cattle/sheep/etc legs to help heard them. Alot of little kids are hurt by hurding breeds.

Poodles(standard) are also known for being very temperamental. They aren't small and are athletic. I understand where your coming from but you picked two bad breeds to say dont attack.
    If they attack so much then why aren't those breeds being banned in counties and citys? I agree that ANY dog can bite/attack, its just in the pitbulls genetics to do so more often than other breeds. I picked those two breeds because I have owned both, currently have an 87lbs collie. No problems with them even nipping. My wife had a pitbull when she was a teenager, it grew up with her and her sister and plenty of strangers in and out and never had a problem. Then one day it just snapped on their other dog that it had grown up with for years. No know reason.
    Last edited by sooners04; 05-12-2007 at 05:09 PM.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    If they attack so much then why aren't those breeds being banned in counties and citys? I agree that ANY dog can bite/attack, its just in the pitbulls genetics to do so more often than other breeds. I picked those two breeds because I have owned both, currently have an 87lbs collie. No problems with them even nipping. My wife had a pitbull when she was a teenager, it grew up with her and her sister and plenty of strangers in and out and never had a problem. Then one day it just snapped on their other dog that it had grown up with for years. No know reason.
    I have two pitbulls never any problems and yet I know the local vet has put down 3 collies for biting children(in our paper). Collies aren't banned becouse they cant do the damage a pb can when they due attack but make no mistake they do attack. I can also tell you about a lab who flipped out(flushing dog) and seriously injured a guys wife. So dont act like a pitbull is a walking time bomb.

Mogamedogz is offline Member
    Some are you people are so misinformed about the breed that it is just SAD.

TRUE APBT... FIGHTING DOGS.... ARE NOT, AND NEVER HAVE BEEN, HUMAN AGGRESSIVE ANIMALS.

Fighting dogs who displayed ANY aggression towards human beings, have been "culled" from the gene pool for 100's of years. So... it's NOT THE OWNERS. You can take a TRUE fighting dog, and attempt to "Train" it to be "Vicious" all you want... the fact of the matter is, it is just NOT IN THEIR NATURE to be that way. Literally. Human aggression is a hereditary trait, which has been bred AWAY from in TRUE APBT's more so than in ANY other breed of dog. There are pretty logical reasons as to WHY Human aggression would have been frowned upon by dog fighters.

The (So called) Pit Bulls that you see on the news attacking people/kids... are what REAL APBT owners/breeders refer to as "PET BULLS". These are the 60-75lb block headed monsters that you see on every street corner, in every "HOOD", with cropped ears and a spiked collar on their neck. They are almost like a sub-breed.

Pick up the book... "The Truth About the American Pit Bull Terrier" by Richard F. Stratton. This will help to enlighten those of you who want to know the REAL TRUTH about the breed.

What if I said that the pic below is of one of the greatest fighting dogs who ever lived... would you have thought that a dog with a stake to this claim would look like this??

BTW: I FULLY support the efforts of some of the finer Pit Bull Rescue groups in trying to place this breed, and those that are working hard against breed specific legislation (BSL) that specifically targets the American Pit Bull Terrier. This is a world problem, not just a local problem, and I encourage all lovers of this FINE animal, to speak up against this type of discrimination based solely on a well marketed campaign of fear of this breed. Try to educate your local SPCA on the positive nature of the American Pit Bull Terrier, and hold the media accountable for their poor reporting practices, that have only served to line their pockets. The name Pit Bull is a generic term used by most media outlets to profit from inaccurate reporting. It's a buzz word in their industry. They are the true exploiters of this breed, and all for the sake of profit.

That article is saying its NOT the owners and its NOT the breed, so why are pit bulls being banned from places if many breeds of dogs have attacked?

Because people are scared of them

I will try to find and old article which showed pics of different dogs, that LOOKED like pits, but werent. Not many people can actually tell what a real pit looks like.

http://www.samthedogtrainer.com/Arti...it%20Bulls.htm

Some interesting stuff from a trainers point of view.

sorel_C is offline Member
    I got one, best bud i got, also one of the freindly-est/playful dogs ive owned, In most cases that pits attack if you look at the owners there either absent or low lifes who abused or brought them up for ignorant reasons

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Edited. Check your PMs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pit Bulls Vicious?-me-sadie.jpg   Pit Bulls Vicious?-dscn0374.jpg   Pit Bulls Vicious?-sadie-outside.jpg   Pit Bulls Vicious?-sadie-puppy.jpg  

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Maybe myt dog is a cold blooded KILLER simply because of the fact that she has a chain around her neck in this picture?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pit Bulls Vicious?-sadie-deuce-cropped.jpg  

gigem is offline Banned
    i just read that rottweilers were responsible for more death related attacks than pits 33 for rots and 21 for pits in the last study. in case were all wondering i just googled dog attacks by by breed

juicejunkie2 is offline Associate Member
    I agree with most that it's the owners who are responsible for most of the aggression etc resulting in Pit-Bull attacks BUT there is something to be said about the instincts Pit Bulls have when it comes to fighting/attacking as they always go for the neck. I'm not sure if banning these animals is the correct resolution but a screening process for the owners may be a solution (not so easily done in the real world).
    I have owned a Rott for over 10 years (my first born son) and I know that I can trust him with any other animal/child/whomever because I taught him to be social... and yet he knows when to be aggressive... not something I taught him .. It’s instinctual. My point being that there is a degree of instinctual aggression in all breeds... maybe more so in Pitts? I don't know the answer but I do know that the ones I've known (maybe 4 or 5 of which I lived with one for 2 years) were more aggressive then other dogs I've known ... doesn't mean that I was afraid that they'd snap on me or anything. The shear power they have and the damage they're capable of causing (Rotts included) warrants some sort of a screening process for owners ... kind of like guns, as they too are a lethal weapon in the wrong hands and it's not a responsible thing to say that since my pit-bull/Rott is gentle so must the rest of them be.

gigem is offline Banned
    yeah its all in how you socialize with them i cant remember the top breeds exactly doberman german shep and some other large breeds with rotts and pits so it goes to show all of these breeds were bred as attack or gaurd dogs its not they are bad breeds they just have the instincts in how to attack effeciently.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spound
    Edited. Check your PMs.

yo man.. chill... i know you love your dog and the breed... and like you I hate the stigma these dogs got...but please keep it civil.

Thanks

p.s.

I've seen it asked a few times... why are they banned then? Laws aren't always made to answer problems...they are sometimes made to make the general population (mob) happy. And as we all know...doesn't take much to sway a mob in a direction.

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spound
    Edited. Check your PMs.
    You summed it up nicely.

Foskamink is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GETINLARGE
    the reason pitbulls are banned from places is b/c they are the dog of choice for people commiting crimes, teaching them to become fighting dogs and so forth. at pitbull is just like you and me big and strong. people will feel threatened by someone or something big and strong. thats is the way life goes. thats what being overlooked especially on this forum. we are trying to make ourselves into super humans with a nice body and tons of strength. but thats exactly the characteristics a pitbull was born with. i have always wanted to get into the MMA. but this only came apon after i started getting bigger and working out. its nature to want to be the top "dog"

Exactly for fighting do you think they will have little yorkshire terrires ranging 2-3 kilos fighting, or a pit over 30?

and yes yorkshire terriers can be just as bad as a pit bull.. just they arnt naturally threatening by size and appearance..

who are you going to go to when ur in trouble at a club, ur ck model buddy wei***ng in at 150 lbs, or your lifting partner at 220lbs

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    Quote Originally Posted by Blome
    All you guy's sitting here dictating that APBT's were bred for fighting are correct, but you're leaving out one major aspect. These dogs were bred for fighting other dogs.
    Outstanding point! Pit bulls were specifically bred to fight other dogs. They were never intended for other duties (e.g., home/family protection).

Unfortunately, pit bulls get a bad rap in the news because when they do attack humans, it often results in serious injury or death. Regardless, I'd sooner trust a pit bull around my two kids than most other breeds of dogs, especially friggin' poodles.

Quote Originally Posted by wascaptain5214
    hey scottish.....ive never pitted dogs or cocks, but grew up around it. i am saying the ONLY reason id keep a pitbull is to fight him, not to take him for walks in the park. and you dont know my type....
    People who fight dogs are too ***** to fight themselves. Vicarious living.

Dangerdan is offline Senior Member
    This is the most intelligent post I have seen in a long time. Regardless of what you pit owners say, some breeds of dogs are more aggressive than other breeds and more likely to attack humans/children. American Pit Bull Terriers are one such breed. There are many others as well. Pits have gotten a bad reputation, probably more so than they deserved. Just because a breed is more predisposed to be aggressive, doesn't necessarily mean it will attack. I have lived with a pit and they can be just as sweet as any other bread.

Any dog owner needs to be responsible. If you own a pit, great. Hopefully, you are loke Scottish here and respect the dog and those around it. Great post scottish.

Quote Originally Posted by scottish
    I guess it comes down to people telling me what I can and cant own. Im a very responsible dog owner. I have 3 kids and at no time are they left alone with my dog. As much as I would like to say I trust my dog 100%, Im not willing to gamble with my kids health. Right now I just have 1 rotty. He just turned 1 years old. It was too expensive to stay in the pit bull game. All the BS insurance and crap.. See I have alot of kids that come over to my house. The first thing that any of my dogs learn, is that NOTHING BELONGS TO THEM PERIOD. Anyone even a baby, can take anything out of my dogs mouth. I think with the larger more dominant breeds, people get them, then the dog gets really big, and they get scared. The dog takes over the house hold, and whola someone is going to get bitten.

here is my boy Bing..

my dogs a pit but its the same family i guess..

Scud my bull terrier az 6-7 months.. weighs 45 lbs..

i dont know if thats reasonable or not but he still looks mean as ****

his mum has papers for pedigree but dad dosnt, but still is classed purebreed but cant compete.. his head dosnt look exactly like a bull terrier.. when he has his ears back and mouth open looks more like a pit bull

berniec is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gigem
    pit bulls as far as loyalty to there owners is alot better than many other breeds dobermans being one of the worst.
    i'm confused are you sayign doberman ARE loyal to their owners or they are not?

Dobies are one of the most loyal breeds there are, they were breed as companion dogs and to protest their owners. I have one and while he's friendly as hell because of the way i raised him, if he feels that something is remotely threatening to him or me, they'd be dead.

as for his relationship with me, he is never more then a foot from my side at all times when i'm home, and he sleeps in bed with me every night. you couldnt as for a more loyal dog.

gigem is offline Banned
    i read somewhere that dobermans are one of the worst to turn but then again were generalizing a breed my aunt had one that was the calmest dog ive seen he would sit his ass up on the couch and watch tv with ya. im not talking bad about the breed i think there smart and beautiful animals but it s what i read

spound.....totally uncalled for. you cant make a point without cursing? dog and cock fights happen here in coon ass country all the time, and i am a coon ass. its a way of life and a living for some people. like i said, i havent pitted animals. been to them and bet on them....yes. but not for years, it has gotten to be a high dollar sport. the pits down here are bred for fighting and aggression is the trait that dominates. so...its a no go for them being pets, around here!!!!!! and as for me fighting a ufc fighter....no way.............. as for me fighting you....ok

fight fight fight

spound...the pics of your dog look good and looks like he is treated well. the pits down here have bigger heads and necks and the ears are cropped shorter...sometimes the tail is cropped . the chain is bigger too.

johnmacdan is offline Associate Member
    I've been around many pitbulls. Most were trained to either fight or be watch dogs. Both types were agressive if unattended by their owner. You could not walk into the guys house without him putting the dogs up and then letting them back out to greet you. Otherwise they were well trained.

My cousin had 3 that weren't fighters or trained at all. They were still more agressive than my golden or labs. They were also a heck of a lot stronger so playful agression could hurt. They were all treated well, but one of them got loose and attacked a kid and her cat. Didn't hurt the kid much, but knocked her down and ate her cat right out of her arms. We never knew if she was provoked, but we weren't surprised she was the one that did it. Cops shot her while she was trying to get back inside the fenced area. She was the first one and always the dominant.

The male he had was a big lovable goof. Liked to sit on the couch and eat Doritos. After the female incident he gave the others away. The big male lives on a farm. Last I heard they couldn't keep a chicken alive. I guess they should feed him some Doritos.
    Last edited by johnmacdan; 05-15-2007 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wascaptain5214
    spound...the pics of your dog look good and looks like he is treated well. the pits down here have bigger heads and necks and the ears are cropped shorter...sometimes the tail is cropped . the chain is bigger too.

the pits you are reffering to are breed that way and are called "Razor Edge" pitbulls

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information