Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    takedownII is offline Member

Pit Bulls Vicious?

What do you think? I personally believe it is how they're raised. It's the owners, not the dog. I'll save the rest of my opinion for later on down the line after I hear more of what you guys say. What do you bro's think? This may get heated , as this is a sensitive subject to many, so be careful!

tkdwnII

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Some dogs are naturally more aggresive however its largly controlled by the owner.

Dangerdan is offline Senior Member
    The chance of a pit/american terrier being overly aggressive is going to be more than for say a lab. Not all pits will be vicious, but if I had kids around, I sure wouldnt risk it. My old roomate had one that was the sweetest dog ever, but if another dog got into the yard, it led to large vet bills.

gigem is offline Banned
    pit bulls as far as loyalty to there owners is alot better than many other breeds dobermans being one of the worst. alot of it is the owners some of these dogs are inbred which can cause issues as well ive owned several pits and i have had one that you just had to watch but it was his breeding. the problem with a pit is not that there are more vicious than a chihahua its that they are so powerful that thay cause alot of damage. you have to give these dogs respect as one should with any animal. i trust a pit as much as any other dog.i garauntee pits arent even in the top 10 list of breeds of dogs that have attacked humans

Grappler13 is offline Productive Member

No

They are Pits. Bred for fighting ability. They are probably better suited genetically to be successful ass-kickers than any other breed but they are still dogs. Bad dogs are the result of bad owners.

Dangerdan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gigem
    i garauntee pits arent even in the top 10 list of breeds of dogs that have attacked humans
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf

numbat is offline Member
    I have the sweetest pit around ...My dad calls her a luv bull..I guess some are naturally aggressive but i think it ***ends alot on there raising

ACpower is offline Member
    my friends uncle breeds pitbulls from what he tells me the pits bloodline has a lot to do with it.

lpicken is offline Associate Member
    I live next door to two pitbulls that are kept on a chain 24/7. They bark nonstop and I contemplate eliminating them everyday. The owners are douchebags and there is not a doubt in my mind as to the fact these dogs are dangerous and capaple of harm. I don't have kids, but neighbors do and they feel the same way. I agree it is mostly the owner, bloodline and how a dog is raised that leads to vicious animal. Who wouldn't be mean if they were kept on a chain and beaten? However, their is a scientific reason as to why pitbulls are vicious and capable of randomly harming someone: Pitbulls are cold weather dogs. A dog's snout is its cooling mechanism and through breeding pitbulls have short snouts and strong jaws with bone crushing capabilities-the reason they are popular for fighting purposes. However, the pitbulls short snouts means they overheat easily and causes their brain to swell. It is the swelling of their brain that leads to unwanted aggression. I believe this is called "cerebral edema" and it is often debated in the veterinary community but it something to take into consideration if you are looking to get a pitbull.

juiceball44 is offline Associate Member
    yup all on the owner, i have met very nice ones and very means ones and the difference was the owner. about them being cold weather dogs that is bullshit because I live in florida where it is hot as hell and my roomates dog was never mean and always playful and nice

they are pretty much my favorite dog and I would not hesitate to get one even with children around just buy them as a puppy from a good breeder and raise them right

lpicken is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juiceball44
    about them being cold weather dogs that is bullshit because I live in florida where it is hot as hell and my roomates dog was never mean and always playful and nice

Like I said, its "debateable" and not going to happen 100% of the time. I am not a vet, but it is a theory I heard from a reliable source. Furthermore, there are several cases of putbulls coming from perfectly fine owners and attacking people for no appearant reason. Why would you risk it?

xpijeonx is offline Associate Member
    The only two pits I have ever known have been the biggest babies ever! Super super sweet and I am convinced they wouldnt harm a fly unless it was to pretect their owner.

Recently one of my friends was in from out of town and he had brought his pit over. Previously she(the pit) had chased a cat up the tree and there was some big scare that she might not be animal friendly(she is new to their family)...

Well we have six cats and I could really give a sh*t less about half of them so I said ef it lets see what happens (I wasnt gonna let anything get too out of hand though). We brought the pit in and she instantly had an interest in the cats most of whome were hiding at the time but two of them(bossy males) decided they were gonna come out and confront her.

The dog was soo excited she didnt know what to think and the cats were hissing and trying to be scary. She decided she wanted a closer look at the cats she was honestly the more timid of the bunch.

she get really close and then my friend got scared and said her name and she changed her direction of interest, still very close to the cats though. In a split second the cats literally attacked her! and she did NOTHING! So I chased my cats back and I flicked them in the forheads with my finger, lol.

A few minutes later one of the same cats came nose to nose with her in a hallway, again the cat attacked her and she backed off and tried to get away.

I really think that the owner is responsible for how the animal acts. I have been bit by seven dogs in my life, five of which required stitches, NONE of them were pits. Three were labs and two golden retreivers.

After getting to know these dogs and loving dogs more and more I am sickened that there are bans on pits in certain cities. There needs to be harsher penalties to owners not breeds. Especially ones caught fighting or raising fight dogs.

Ok Ok Ill get of my soap box...

odix is offline Member
    bloodline has nothing to do with it, animals don't possess aggressive DNA or this is no proof to this yet, as either humans... Just because your brother went psycho and killed 15 people at school does not mean you are the same way, or your parents, totally irrational. As for pits being more aggressive, maybe, any dog with size and balls is naturally going to want to be the alpha male, pit bulls are the #1 overbred and shitty treated dog in the united states as far as i know. Of course there will be more attacks, dogs bite people everyday, pitbulls are just better at it.

my girlfriends ****ing MALTISSE's, 3 of them, a mom dad and daughter, fought and killed ( i mean blood everywhere ) there 3-legged cat. MALTISSES man.

its a shame the way legislatures ban pit bulls, its not there faults, its the peoples you know ? I own a red-nose, love him, loyal as hell, smart ( taught him rollover and stupid shit myself ), good dog.

its called racial profiling ;p

Foskamink is offline Banned
    yeh my bull terrier loves children, loves all people it meets and i bring over, most friendly and playful dog you ever seen, but put another dog near it and it will attack without thought, and make it bleed.

funny cause my brothers new found land is same age (both about 5-6 months old) it will be more aggressive and violent towards other dogs moreso then my bull terrier... but it wont last against my dog..

i met a few pit bull lately and they are soo sweet and nice, i just want to pat them and play.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    I say you put the owners down NOT THE DOGS.

p.s. Want to talk about dangerous breeds lets talk about poodles... THOSE are mean dogs but you never hear people making them get put down.

1819 is offline Senior Member
    it is NOT just the owners. we had a pit that was the most lovable dog we ever had. gentle as all hell. we got lucky. i also know a guy who has a panther and he hasnt had a problem. go figure. the fact is some pits(most) are naturally aggressive. you could be the best owner in the world and still have problems.

Kristofer68ss is offline Associate Member
    get the nuts clipped and raise the dog properly and they are the one of the BEST dogs in the world.

But, if they keep there nuts and are raised to be aggressive. They WILL BE.

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    Pitbulls are illegal in Ontario, Canada.
    Parliment decided that they were too vicious of a breed (based on health care stats), and that all pitbull attacks were costing our health care system , so the government on Ontario made them illegal to breed, and all exsisting pit bull owners had to get their dogs ear tatooed and registered. Any new born dogs get euthanised.

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    btw, my vet says that pound for pound poodles are the most vicious breed, and that he has been bit by over a hundred poodles. When I asked him about the pit bull situation, he said he only had to put 3 down in his 25 years of being a vet, for being too vicious.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member

your killing me with those vids man.

I love my pitbull. I had to stop watching it.

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    i worked for a vet, while in high school. id handle dogs all day. i got bite once by a dog....it was a minature poodle. the pits down here in south louisiana, are still bred for fighting. they aint pets. and they dont make pets. if the animal control picks up a loose pit....you cant bail them out...they are put down. if you got a pit, you cant get home owners. if i had a pit and the time i would fight him. but to keep a pit for a pet....no way, they cant be trusted.

doolo is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerdan

Ah thats fatalities bro. I think a shitsu or somthing odd like a poodle thats tops the list of most attacks but im not gonna take the time to get a link. I remember doing a thing on it in school and pitties were below even labs. It makes perfect sense that they have the highest fatal attacks due to there freakish jaw strength. Another reason theyre not at the top of list is because of population. Im sure there arnt many pitbulls around compared to most other breeds.
    Last edited by doolo; 05-10-2007 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wascaptain5214
    i worked for a vet, while in high school. id handle dogs all day. i got bite once by a dog....it was a minature poodle. the pits down here in south louisiana, are still bred for fighting. they aint pets. and they dont make pets. if the animal control picks up a loose pit....you cant bail them out...they are put down. if you got a pit, you cant get home owners. if i had a pit and the time i would fight him. but to keep a pit for a pet....no way, they cant be trusted.
    For the most part of your statement, i agree. But your very statement regardling them as unstable and non trustworthy. IMO, is just not accurate.

Now, with that being said. I was bitten and almost killed by a german shepard at the age of 6. The dog had my head in his mouth. I have a dimple/scar in my left cheek from him. I also have a scar below my left eye and at the back of my head. Soooooo, i have a prejudice towards dogs. My pit is NUETERED, PURE BRED, AND TRAINED. I cannot stress the importance of these qualities. He is one of the best dogs i have known.

Ignorant people, owners and otherwise are the reason there are so many deaths and bites from rotts and pitts.

What gets me is the ignorance of people. We take the dog into petco, and parents just let there kids run up to it. I am officially the asshole in the store after that. I generally just tell them how bad of parent they are, and they need to get educated. Parent irresponsibility is why i got bit at age 6. I was never told to how to act and behave toward unfamiliar dogs. Thats another rant.

Some of my bias slant towards pitts. I love my pit!

Knowledge is power, pass it on.

http://www.happypitbull.com/myths.htm

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/myths.cfm

http://www.austinlostpets.com/kidsko...er/pitbull.htm

http://www.midwestrescueabull.org/myths.html

http://www.dogexpert.com/Dog%20Bite%...tatistics.html
    Last edited by Kristofer68ss; 05-10-2007 at 06:52 AM.

GETINLARGE is offline Junior Member
    i currently own a pitbull. i live in MASS. this week they are voting on banning them. if they ban pitbulls i will move out of the state. i couldnt see owning another dog. i have had a beagle, german shepard, rotties and none were as well mannered and tamed as my pitbull. they should ban the bad people that own them or fight them. they just appear to be aggressive cause they are muscular and fit. just like most of us. whens the last time someone was scared of you b/c you were 6.0' 250lbs and ripped. i mean come on it just like when a big guy kicks someones ass they blame it on steroids . thats not what caused the fight in the first place. i just dont understand how people can blame the dog. if you child turns out to be a freaking weirdo killer, it probabily had something to do with the way he was raised for the most part. have the people in the world that rape or kill had some sort of negative experience as a child. the same thing goes for an animal

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    The breed itself was bred for fighting. The genetics of this dog alone make it more likely to be aggressive. I agree on two things here: 1. ANY dog can become violent and attack. 2. The owners LACK of training can be a problem with pitts. The argument of, its the owners fault alone, doesn't stand much ground with me. There are PLENTY of bad owners with other breeds of dogs that NEVER attack, its just not their nature. Its just a fact that pittbulls attack more often than other breeds.

[QUOTE=The argument of, its the owners fault alone, doesn't stand much ground with me. There are PLENTY of bad owners with other breeds of dogs that NEVER attack, its just not their nature. Its just a fact that pittbulls attack more often than other breeds.[/QUOTE]

YOU DONT KNOW THE FACTS THEN B/C PITBULLS DO NOT ATTACK MORE OFTEN THEN OTHER BREEDS. ITS JUST THAT THEY GET THE MOST ATTENTION. IF ITS A GOLDEN RETRIEVER NOTHING HAPPENS. BUT PITBULLS MAKE THE 5:00 NEWS

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    As a APBT owner you have to know the "dangers" of owning a pit. I say dangers not talking about the dog itself, but about the publics view of the dog. Your representing the breed with your dog(s). You have to know that pits are great with people/children, but might not be with other dogs. It's inherent in there nature. You have to know how to approach a situation that can escalate quickly between two dogs. So, bottom line be a responsible dog owner. By the way, the black pit, Jasmine, is up for adoption if anyone is interested. She's a great dog with a not so great past. She was found emaciated outdoors and was rescued by my sister. Now she's a healthy (dare i say fat) dog and she has a great personality. I have a ton of pictures of her if anyone is interested. PM me.
    Actually, I retract my statement, they're not to be trusted :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pit Bulls Vicious?-nicoles-camera-132-custom-.jpg   Pit Bulls Vicious?-dscn1695-custom-.jpg   Pit Bulls Vicious?-dscn1739-custom-.jpg   Pit Bulls Vicious?-dscn1828-custom-.jpg   Pit Bulls Vicious?-dscn1049-custom-.jpg  

Blome......very Well Put. Good Luck With The Adoption. The Dogs Are Beautiful

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GETINLARGE
    Blome......very Well Put. Good Luck With The Adoption. The Dogs Are Beautiful
    Thanks man, I appreciate it. Your dog looks awesome as well. Ya gotta love pits!

im going to look at pit bulls tomorrow or saturday... the boxer was sold before i could buy it, and after that videos from zimmy im going to put the time nad money into getting the licence and insurance required to own a pitbull here in france

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    not to be trusted.....well,.. that may be a over statement. i dont know, maybe the coon asses down here ruined the bloodline by inbreeding. but, imo (and i dont know crap) the breed needs to go. blome...your dog looks good, the pits down here dont look like that. most have chains around there neck and tied to a tree.

pit bulls banned in france, im searching for a staffordshire terrier breeder right now..

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    If a pitbull comes from a background of fighting, its going to be more aggressive. Thats a fact. Its like horses, racing horses are better at racing than untrained ordinary horses that havent come from the same background.

Its to do with the owner, yes. But a background will have an effect.

I own a pit bull (saved from the street at 4 months, not bought at a breeder). He's loyal, protective, intellegent, happy, and playful; there isn't a shred of malice in him.

I often think that pit bulls represent a virtue set that is often more absent in people than in pit bulls.

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GETINLARGE
    YOU DONT KNOW THE FACTS THEN B/C PITBULLS DO NOT ATTACK MORE OFTEN THEN OTHER BREEDS. ITS JUST THAT THEY GET THE MOST ATTENTION. IF ITS A GOLDEN RETRIEVER NOTHING HAPPENS. BUT PITBULLS MAKE THE 5:00 NEWS
    If all dog attack as much as pitbulls then tell me why pitbulls are the only ones who are being banned in countries and states?

scottish is offline Associate Member
    Because pit bulls kill people and poodles generally dont.

There isnt any proof that a dog just "snaps" That just doesnt happen. There might be things leading up to it. Being teased, left on a chain with no human interaction, abused, stuff like that. But I have never heard of any dog just snap. Ive raised pitbulls for almost 20 years, A few of them, had bloodlines that dated wayyyyy back , when they used to rent barges and go out on the lakes to fight the dogs. And Ive had some with that didnt have any real background to speak of. Temperment wise, you couldnt tell them apart. Give me a puppy that has nothing but an aggressive fighting background, and when Im done, you would be amazed. Background and breeding have nothing to do with their outcome. Some owners cant handle a dog that has the potential to be aggresive. They get scared of the dog, and the next thing you know, the dog is now the alpha of the house. Thats how people and kids get bit.

What I find rather amusing is. Some of you guys that are sterotyping pits, but if someone trys to sterotype a roid user, You guys go through the roof defending it.. Pot calling the kettle black?

Quote Originally Posted by sooners04
    The breed itself was bred for fighting. The genetics of this dog alone make it more likely to be aggressive. I agree on two things here: 1. ANY dog can become violent and attack. 2. The owners LACK of training can be a problem with pitts. The argument of, its the owners fault alone, doesn't stand much ground with me. There are PLENTY of bad owners with other breeds of dogs that NEVER attack, its just not their nature. Its just a fact that pittbulls attack more often than other breeds.

Its not the nature of smaller dogs to become the alpha of the house. Most people arent afraid of a poodle or smaller dogs. Pits dont have a "nature" to attack.. Where do people come up with this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by wascaptain5214
    if i had a pit and the time i would fight him. but to keep a pit for a pet....no way, they cant be trusted.

Do you know how rediculous that statement is? Your the type that would get a pit, try and fight him, not be able to control the dog, it gets out because your afraid of him, and kills the neighbors dog..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information