Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    thore is offline Junior Member

calling military personel

I've been trying to get as much research I can, trying to decide witch branch to go into. In high school, I wanted to join the army, to try to get into the army rangers. Couple years later I wanted to go to the navy, and try out for the seals. Can anybody who knows, tell me the difference between the two. Training, missions, what it takes to get into either of them. What kind of stuff i need to know in order to succeed, such as book smart, and etc. I now they both take a great deal of physical determination. But what else. I've gone to recruiters. But everyone seems to tell me what they think I will want to know. I want someone to give it to me straight. I respect all branches in the military and have done my own research over the years, but the rangers or the seals is what I'm looking at doing. Thanks for any replies.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    They don't call SEAL training "the toughest military training in the world" for nothing.
    SEALs do it all, sea, air, and land.
    Rangers would even think if doing a 5 mile ocean swim.

Rangers specialize in parachuting right into battle and are usually the initial contact.

SEALs are much more under the radar. Various missions, usually take place at night. Get dropped 4 miles from target, swim to target, get job done, and swim back out 4 miles for extract, undetected. In the Vietnam War, SEALs had a kill:death ratio of 200:1.

They would both be great and honored to be, but I personally, would go SEALs. Those guys are hardasses.
    SEAL training also has the highest dropout rate. So you gotta be prepared, physically, and way mentally.

gigem is offline Banned
    yeah seal training is intense watched a program on it today during hell week those guys are up for 5 days you have to be tough mentally as well as physically.i actually had the honor to meet a guy who was one of the original seals in tyler tx one time he drives a truck this guy was in his 60s and still tough as hell

What about the book smart mentality of it. I now you have to know certain things in order to qualify. And what about the war going on right now. What are these guy's doing over there. they obviously have now water over there. So are the seals doing a different kind of mission or are they right beside the rangers.

gigem is offline Banned
    im sure there doing something but we ll never hear about it im sure theres some book smarts to it but im sure a person of average intellegence will be fine

breacherup is offline Associate Member
    first things first it's SEAL, and it stands for Sea Air Land.

gigem is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by breacherup
    thanks for your correction in us military lol now that weve got that out of the way proceede

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    im going for BUD's training at the end of june its not about which one is harder. If your more of a water person then go for SEALS if you perfer land then go for ranger,

LatinoPR is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breacherup

No,...you are wrong,SEAL does not stands for that.....do some search.

LPR ...HM1 US NAVY (ret).

Fordfan01 is offline Member
    Heres a thread i started a while back make give u some info Soon to be SEAL bound!

and i think lexed started one as well

brewerpi is offline Associate Member
    since when does SEAL not stand for Sea Air Land???

Quote Originally Posted by brewerpi

agreed what else would it stand for?

But if seal means sea air land. Would it matter that seals are more water, and rangers are more land. I no that the seals are more about the water. But with the war going on does it matter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thore
    But if seal means sea air land. Would it matter that seals are more water, and rangers are more land. I no that the seals are more about the water. But with the war going on does it matter.

Im sure there are SEALs in Iraq doing missions we will never here about.
    SEAL trademark is the water. Thats what makes them unique. But they do it all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gigem
    yeah seal training is intense watched a program on it today during hell week those guys are up for 5 days you have to be tough mentally as well as physically.i actually had the honor to meet a guy who was one of the original seals in tyler tx one time he drives a truck this guy was in his 60s and still tough as hell

yeah, on the military channel? I love watching that. Really motivating...

^^^^ there have been several SEALs killed in Iraq and Afganistan over the past few years so yes they are def over there

Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx
    yeah, on the military channel? I love watching that. Really motivating...

did you order the whole set.....great watch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordfan01
    did you order the whole set.....great watch

Nah, but Ive been thinking about it.

lol I recorded it so I watch it whenever I want. I just find it amazing.

I was gonna go for SEALs, but Im not a very good swimmer. It sux, cuz all my other numbers are averge or above average. Now Im real tempted to get some swimming lessons and such and going.

Nah, but Ive been thinking about it.

lol I recorded it so I watch it whenever I want. I just find it amazing.

I was gonna go for SEALs, but Im not a very good swimmer. It sux, cuz all my other numbers are averge or above average. Now Im real tempted to get some swimming lessons and such and going.
    its a great investment i could watch everday and it not get old if its not what you want 100% to do then i wouldnt try however you can learn to swim and if thats all thats stopping you then go for it

Blog Entries
    I suggest buying Stew Smith's Complete Guide to Navy Seal Fitness.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide.../dp/1578260140

If you can do this, with average to above average on everything, you could do SEALs and Ranger training PHYSICALLY. But Mentally, thats a whole other story.

After that, look into Maximum Fitness : The Complete Guide to Navy SEAL Cross Training. Its a year long training workout schedule.

I suggest buying Stew Smith's Complete Guide to Navy Seal Fitness.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide.../dp/1578260140

If you can do this, with average to above average on everything, you could do SEALs and Ranger training PHYSICALLY. But Mentally, thats a whole other story.

After that, look into Maximum Fitness : The Complete Guide to Navy SEAL Cross Training. Its a year long training workout schedule.
    agreed great book and super workout program

In the begining the NAVY try to create a "special" team,they used the clasic black wetsuit from head to toe and flipers...they look like a seals,thats why the have the nick name as NAVY SEALS.

BTW...i was working with one unit some time ago..Dont ask.

LPR...HM1 US NAVY (ret)

brewerpi is offline Associate Member
    So they are called SEALs because they look like seals?

please go to socnetcentral.com and post that silly story...

So they are called SEALs because they look like seals?

please go to socnetcentral.com and post that silly story...

So you think that in bull shiting to you.Well do some search in the history of NAVY Seals and you are going to find an awesome story,specialy in the begining of the NAVY Seals.
    Now...are you in the NAVY ? Hmmm i dont think so.I was in the NAVY i know Seals,i was a medical support for
    Marines and then Seals,you dont have to be so stupid and think that im bull shiting.....do some search and have more respect for the ppl who serve this Nation protecting the feedom that you enjoy when you was diging your nose and playing video games.

LPR...HM1 US NAVY (ret)

LPR.
    Last edited by LatinoPR; 05-13-2007 at 09:57 PM.

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    Go to youtube and type in Navy SEAL's Training tons of vids

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    I get so tired of all the misinformation that's posted on here when it comes to SEALs. *sigh*

Thore, if you're comfortable with being tied up and thrown in the deep end of the pool while people try to drown you, then go for BUD/S. If you think you can handle 30 weeks of pain, suffering, cold water, sand in every nook, cranny, and orifice of your body, then go for BUD/S. If you want to do the job of a Navy SEAL (I say job instead of just being a SEAL, because guys who aren't in love with the job don't make it through BUD/S), then go for BUD/S. Notice that I didn't say "if you're a good athlete, a good swimmer, etc.", because world class triathletes have attempted and failed at BUD/S. It's physical, no doubt about it - but, it's more of a motivational and mental thing.

Rangers are the premier light infantry force in the world. Their missions include taking/securing airfields and other targets of value, QRF, SAR, etc. SEALs do many of the same missions, but on a smaller and more covert scale. SEALs are also unique in that water is not seen as an obstacle, but as a refuge. Many SEAL missions typically (note, I didn't say always) start from and end with the water. There were 12 guys in my BUD/S class that I knew were former Army Rangers, but only because they bragged about it. Not a single one of them made it past the first night of Hellweek - but that's more of a characteristic fitting the profile of the typical BUD/S DOR and not intended as a slight against Rangers.

Sometimes, but not often, SEALs will go through Ranger school (known as RIP) to gain a better understanding of what Rangers do.

In the acronym-crazy military, SEAL stands for SEa, Air, and Land. Originally, the name came about because with the old-style duck feet fins and wetsuits, they resembled seals. It's the same story with the term HOO-YAH, which has its origins in three different stories, all of which are plausible.

If you want first-hand BUD/S knowledge and none of this second, third, fourth, etc. -hand knowledge, just send me a PM and I'll try to sort you out.

CSAR
    BUD/S class 211, winter Hellweek survivor February '97.

One more thing. In a different thread, someone was asking if they should do a cycle before entering the Navy/going to BUD/S. NSWC medical tests for steroids . BUD/S training is serious business and they don't take kindly to those who don't share the same views (i.e., no drugs whatsoever). You can even be dropped from the program for using creatine, which is banned at BUD/S. That should give you some idea of how serious they are.

rltw is offline New Member

Rangers/Ranger School/RIP/ROP

Quote Originally Posted by CSAR
    I get so tired of all the misinformation that's posted on here when it comes to SEALs. *sigh*

Thore, if you're comfortable with being tied up and thrown in the deep end of the pool while people try to drown you, then go for BUD/S. If you think you can handle 30 weeks of pain, suffering, cold water, sand in every nook, cranny, and orifice of your body, then go for BUD/S. If you want to do the job of a Navy SEAL (I say job instead of just being a SEAL, because guys who aren't in love with the job don't make it through BUD/S), then go for BUD/S. Notice that I didn't say "if you're a good athlete, a good swimmer, etc.", because world class triathletes have attempted and failed at BUD/S. It's physical, no doubt about it - but, it's more of a motivational and mental thing.

Rangers are the premier light infantry force in the world. Their missions include taking/securing airfields and other targets of value, QRF, SAR, etc. SEALs do many of the same missions, but on a smaller and more covert scale. SEALs are also unique in that water is not seen as an obstacle, but as a refuge. Many SEAL missions typically (note, I didn't say always) start from and end with the water. There were 12 guys in my BUD/S class that I knew were former Army Rangers, but only because they bragged about it. Not a single one of them made it past the first night of Hellweek - but that's more of a characteristic fitting the profile of the typical BUD/S DOR and not intended as a slight against Rangers.

Sometimes, but not often, SEALs will go through Ranger school (known as RIP) to gain a better understanding of what Rangers do.

In the acronym-crazy military, SEAL stands for SEa, Air, and Land. Originally, the name came about because with the old-style duck feet fins and wetsuits, they resembled seals. It's the same story with the term HOO-YAH, which has its origins in three different stories, all of which are plausible.

If you want first-hand BUD/S knowledge and none of this second, third, fourth, etc. -hand knowledge, just send me a PM and I'll try to sort you out.

CSAR
    BUD/S class 211, winter Hellweek survivor February '97.
    excellent post-
    there is however a difference between Ranger School and RIP (Ranger Indoctrination Program)
    RIP is the 4 week course that is required of all soldiers, E-4 and below wishing to serve in a Ranger Battalion. Soldiers grade E-5 and above and officers attend ROP (Ranger Orientation Program)
    Successful completion of one of these courses places the soldier in one of the three Ranger Battalions , it is a high speed low drag way of life.Those serving in the Ranger Battalion wear a Tan Beret and wear the Ranger scroll.
    Now here is where a lot of the confusion comes from-Ranger School.
    Ranger School is a 9 week course/nightmare that begins at Ft. Benning Ga. and ends in the swamps of Florida. There are three phases and it's a tough school-enough said. Graduates earn the right to wear the black and gold Ranger Tab.
    For members of the Ranger Battalions graduation from Ranger school is a requirement for any leadership position in the Regiment.
    Members of other Army units can and do attend Ranger school, upon completion they return to their units.(Colin Powell graduated from Ranger school but never served in a Ranger Battalion)
    Members of other branches of the armed services, usually special operations troops, can and do attend Ranger school.
    So I think that covers it.
    Last edited by rltw; 05-14-2007 at 08:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Shane35aa is offline Senior Member
    CSAR...Your right on point again, as usual

CSAR there again to help us SEAL wannabes

Serotonin is offline Member
    Seal is also more covert, normally a seal team will operate with about 8 members, and there is a good chance you're missions are all classified. If you want to be elite in the Army, join delta force.

Stock is offline Member
    CSAR, very good post. My buddy is a Navy SEAL, and that is the same way he explained it to me...BTW, he is currently over seas somewhere doing something, I never know where or what, but he emails me every couple of weeks when he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Serotonin
    Seal is also more covert, normally a seal team will operate with about 8 members, and there is a good chance you're missions are all classified. If you want to be elite in the Army, join delta force.
    Sorry, but this is wrong. A boat crew is made up of 8 SEALs. A platoon is made up of 2 boat crews (16 SEALs). A SEAL Team is comprised of approximately 10 platoons, sometimes more or less ***ending on personnel availability. Add in administrative and support personnel and you've got about 300 people in a SEAL Team.

You cannot join Delta Force. Try outs are by invitation only. In addition, personnel must be E-7 or above if enlisted and O-3 or above if officer. To my knowledge, becoming a Ranger is one of the best ways (if not THE best) to move into Special Forces and is a plus for those who are interested in a potential invitation to Delta. You're also more likely to see some action, which is another plus for a potential invitation.

DEVGRU (formerly SEAL Team 6) is the Navy's equivalent of Delta. It is also by invitation only. DEVGRU and Delta sometimes work together - Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan is an example of this. However, IMHO, Delta is the better organization because its members have a lot more land warfare training and more importantly, experience. DEVGRU is still top notch, but there's a lot they need to learn and they know this.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    USAF... Forward Observer.. you dont have to hike 20 miles with a 70lb ruck sack..

we have planes and vehicles..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Quote Originally Posted by CSAR
    Sorry, but this is wrong. A boat crew is made up of 8 SEALs. A platoon is made up of 2 boat crews (16 SEALs). A SEAL Team is comprised of approximately 10 platoons, sometimes more or less ***ending on personnel availability. Add in administrative and support personnel and you've got about 300 people in a SEAL Team.

You cannot join Delta Force. Try outs are by invitation only. In addition, personnel must be E-7 or above if enlisted and O-3 or above if officer. To my knowledge, becoming a Ranger is one of the best ways (if not THE best) to move into Special Forces and is a plus for those who are interested in a potential invitation to Delta. You're also more likely to see some action, which is another plus for a potential invitation.

DEVGRU (formerly SEAL Team 6) is the Navy's equivalent of Delta. It is also by invitation only. DEVGRU and Delta sometimes work together - Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan is an example of this. However, IMHO, Delta is the better organization because its members have a lot more land warfare training and more importantly, experience. DEVGRU is still top notch, but there's a lot they need to learn and they know this.
    dont they specializen in anti terrorism as well?

unclemoney is offline Senior Member
    Thought this would be my time to brag since I'm seeing all these guys training... Back in MP OSUT (basic//ait combined) I got warriors hall of fame for qualifying expert on the m9 9mm beretta, hand grenade, and m16a2. Got 90% and above on the PT test, and did a 10k road march in under 75 mins with a weighted ruck sack... I got weapons qual coming up this weekend actually... I hope I can qualify expert again :-) But I was looking at that link posted for that guide to navy seals fitness... It said this "SEALs are required to be able to swim 6 miles, run 15 miles, and do 150 pull-ups, 400 push-ups, and 400 sit-ups." No Fvcking way could I dream of doing 150 pull ups... And swiming 6 miles??? Forget it... Jesus...

rltw - Thanks for the Ranger info. I don't know enough about Rangers to open my trap, so I'll keep my mouth shut in the future.

Ford - Anti-terrorism is a real broad term that encompasses a wide range of missions. There aren't enough hijackings or other various hostage-related situations for DEVGRU or Delta to be 100% dedicated for those types of missions. In Afghanistan, DEVGRU and Delta have been performing a lot of reconnaisance and direct action missions. In Iraq, during the siege of Falluja, Delta worked with the Marines performing CQC, sniping, and recon. Marine Force Recon was there as well, kicking ass and taking names, but Delta occupies the top rung of the ladder.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the special operations forces (SOF), whether it be Navy SEALs, Marine Recon/Force Recon, Army Rangers/Special Forces/Delta, or Air Force CCT/PJ. They're all KATN, high speed-low drag, and (with the exception of the Marines) often work closely together ***ending on the Task Force they're attached to.

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    USAF... Forward Observer.. you dont have to hike 20 miles with a 70lb ruck sack..

Now, pay attention everyone - Spy just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread.

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    i was just a leg in the corps. pft(physcial training test) was 3mile run, pull ups and sit ups. i did try out for recon, but didnt make the cut to get in. if you want my advice(and i dont know crap) go air force or navy.........get a trade you can use after the service. even though being prior seal or ranger would open doors for you. good luck

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard

Hua......

Flack is offline New Member
    Thor, everyone always thinks of rangers or seals for the sof community. While they are incredibly demanding jobs and Iam not knocking them at all I would say definitely do you research on every option available. There are alot of options out there and dont listen to too much of what recruiters have to say they get a bonus for putting you in any sof carreer field. Try to talk to people who have been in each field that you are interested in. I myself didnt make it all the way through the AF Combat Control pipeline but I did make it through a year and have a good amount of knowledge about that and Pararescue and TACP which Iam currently in. Pararescue in my opinion is more demanding overall then any other sof job. Do a search about the pipeline and you will find it to be incredibly challenging both in physically and mentally. I knew plenty of SEALS that crossed over to be PJ's (prararescue) because they thought it was more challenging. Obviously everyone has there own opinion of the best of the best so take everything with a grain of salt even my opinion. However I will say this and I dont think anyone can argue with the fact that the AF will give you the best treatment and quality of life without a doubt. Any of the sof choices will open doors for you and will make you a much better person....but imho go AF for a better life and a great job. Plus you get an incredible amount of schools that alot of times you wont get with the seals or rangers. I dont have that grad standards for pj's but i know its very similar to seals with a 6-8mile open water swim 10mile run calistenics etc..after dive school. Just make sure you look into everything very closely. If you would like you can PM or e-mail me if you have any more questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information