RaidersFan is offline Junior Member

Smokeless Tobaco?

I was wondering if smokeless tobacco or "dip" has any effect on muscular developement.

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    i dunno, but its a nasty habit IMO. are you considering making it a habit or are you already hooked?

RaidersFan is offline Junior Member
    i ocassionally dip here and there

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaidersFan
    i ocassionally dip here and there
    Quit while you can. Ive been dipping for about 6 years, I cant kick it......

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    I was wondering if smokeless tobacco or "dip" has any effect on muscular developement.
    Does it matter? It's a disgusting and unhealthy habit.

beatango2008 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536
    Quit while you can. Ive been dipping for about 6 years, I cant kick it......

I've seen a brown cow eat green grass churn yellow butter, and produce white milk! Never say you cant.

thetank is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beatango2008
    I've seen a brown cow eat green grass churn yellow butter, and produce white milk! Never say you cant.
    up untill i read that post, i thought your name was "bojangles2008"..hahaha..anyway,
    i assume consuming something unhealth like tobacco would have negative effects on your muscles..not to mention, your teeth and gums.

Fordfan01 is offline Member
    im not real sure if it has a negative effect or not but i do have a cousin who had to get complete gum, jaw, and cheek reconstuction because he chewed and dipped for about 10 years imo its like saying hey i want to make my teeth yellow and my gum rot away

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    I believe nicotine itself ***letes oxygen flow to muscles as well as being a stimulant that raises blood pressure and heart rate. Just kick the habit.

^^^nicotine constricts blood vessels therefore not just a d e pletion of oxygen but a d e petion n everything ur blood carries FOOD FOR YOUR MUSCLES!!!

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    ^^ I also belive since nicotine is a strong stim. it would also be catabolic and maybe increases cortisol levels.

and yeah it is a pretty gross habit.

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    To answer your original question, as long as I dip after I workout, then I didn't notice any decrease in strength.

^^^might be hurting ur gains though

unclemoney is offline Senior Member
    I dipped and smoked... quit both, it's pointless.

JC.1987 is offline Associate Member
    dip is a bad habit to get into, because eventually its hard to kick the habit. i dont regularly do it, however i do it on ocasion.
    Sometimes i even do it before/during the gym, for some reason it makes me work out like crazy (dont flame me for this lol, i know its bad)

damn how can you dip while youre working out? i couldnt imagine doing such a thing

buckles is offline New Member

dip

I dont know how somthing stuffed in your lip could affect your muscles. But I agree thats not the only concern you should have with the stuff, you wont worry about your muscles when your jaw is being removed.

Quote Originally Posted by buckles
    I dont know how somthing stuffed in your lip could affect your muscles. But I agree thats not the only concern you should have with the stuff, you wont worry about your muscles when your jaw is being removed.
    nicotine constricts ur blood vessels http://pappin.com/csot/fall-2004-rounds.html

Bones are nourished by blood much like the other organs and tissues in your body. Nutrients, minerals and oxygen are all supplied to the bones via the blood stream. Smoking elevates the levels of nicotine in your blood and this causes the blood vessels to constrict. Nicotine constricts blood vessels approximately 25% of their normal diameter. Because of the constriction of the vessels, decreased levels of nutrients are supplied to the bone, fracture /wound. It is thought that this is the reason for the effect on bone/wound healing.

If a fracture is sustained, it is of utmost importance that one must not smoke. Doing so will decrease the chances of recovering completely, lengthen the time spent on healing and make it less likely that one will be satisfied with the outcome.

Editor’s note:
    Secondhand smoke also impairs the ability of specialized cells to migrate toward the site of the wound, resulting in slower healing or greater scarring ( University of California , Riverside Study). The study found that secondhand smoke altered the arrangement of the cells’ cytoskeleton, causing the fibroblasts to become more adhesive and less mobile. Fibroblasts are cells that play an important role in wound healing.

Responses were also received from L. Arseneau, T. Broughton, A. Crossman, P. Gaudet, C. Longphee, J. Maulucci, I. Mills, J. Movasseli, E. Oborowsky, E. Place, V. Robichaud, B. Sheppard, H. Wong, S. Woodrow and T.Yorke

Logan13 is offline Banned
    Nicotine constricts blood vessels and by doing so it can make you feel lethargic. I picked up the habit while in college during season....I could not eat so this helped take my mind off of it. As far as hindering or helping gains, No. Hell, I sometimes chew while lifting.

PeteyK is offline Associate Member
    dip makes me throw up...but then again the only times ive tried it were at parties when i was sh*tfaced

big L 17 is offline Female Member
    i dip on and off for a few years now i dont think it does

fatback25 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JC.1987
    dip is a bad habit to get into, because eventually its hard to kick the habit. i dont regularly do it, however i do it on ocasion.
    Sometimes i even do it before/during the gym, for some reason it makes me work out like crazy (dont flame me for this lol, i know its bad)
    Ha Bro, me too! I always throw in a big pinch before and during my workouts. I'll admit its a bad habit but damn its hard not to for me.

deadlifts is offline Banned
    i actually see people doing it at the gym while they are working out.

deadlifts is offline Banned
    well i just read the posts above and i see that is not as rare as i thought. you guys should try working out in a gym that is outside and then have a smoke hanging out of your mouth while your doing tricep extensions.

Musicman is offline Associate Member
    excess free radicals but i been dipping since i was 16 and it hasnt hindered my gains

jgk138 is offline New Member
    i havent seen any effects on my gains ive been dipping since ive started lifting hard. if anything, it should help when cutting: it makes you not as hungry and speeds up your metabolism.

Thread Information