Thread: Air Force SERE

LawMan018 is offline Senior Member

Air Force SERE

I know we have quite a few people in the military here and some in the Air Force... Now I went into the Air Force Recruiter today and talked with him and I really got interested in this job... For those of you who don't know what it stands for it is Survival Escape, Resistance Evasion Instructor... I love the wilderness and this would teach me quite a lot about it and how to survive and what not, I thought it seemed really cool.. I read up on the training and such and I think I could manage, although, you never know till you actually try.. I was just curious what you Air Force guys thought of this job? Like if it's enjoyable, fun, etc.!

testisbest is offline Senior Member
    You're sole job in the military can't be a SERE instructor. That's a type of shore duty that you get to spend a couple of years doing in order to get a break from the deployments every year. I was on a search and rescue team in the navy and I went to SERE and believe me, there's nothing nice about that wilderness. You get treated like a POW, so it's no camping trip. And if you can pull duty as a SERE instructor, be ready to work long hours sometimes 7 days a week. As opposed to other shore duty type jobs that you can get away with working as little as 30hrs a week and go to the gym during your work day. Remember, you get paid the same no matter what job you have so make the smart decision.

LawMan018 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by testisbest
    You're sole job in the military can't be a SERE instructor. That's a type of shore duty that you get to spend a couple of years doing in order to get a break from the deployments every year. I was on a search and rescue team in the navy and I went to SERE and believe me, there's nothing nice about that wilderness. You get treated like a POW, so it's no camping trip. And if you can pull duty as a SERE instructor, be ready to work long hours sometimes 7 days a week. As opposed to other shore duty type jobs that you can get away with working as little as 30hrs a week and go to the gym during your work day. Remember, you get paid the same no matter what job you have so make the smart decision.
    well on the Air Force website it listed it as a job type and didn't say it was temporary, ionno... But yeh, I don't care how tough it is, the only thing I'm worried about is whether or not I will get time to continue my bodybuilding and by the way you described it it doesn't look so good.. hm.. well, there's tons of other jobs, lol!

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    so ur gunna be a park ranger when u grow up eh?

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    i.e. a tree gazer and a fish counter?

king6 is offline Anabolic Member
    Air Force SERE is a ***** version compared to the one the Navy and Marines go to. I went to SERE, got the shit beat out of me, stayed awake for 66 hours, I was hallucinating in my cell. I'm glad I did it, but would never do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by king6
    Air Force SERE is a ***** version compared to the one the Navy and Marines go to. I went to SERE, got the shit beat out of me, stayed awake for 66 hours, I was hallucinating in my cell. I'm glad I did it, but would never do it again.
    I didn't know the Air Force's SERE was different than the one I went to when I was in the NAVY. I was a gunners mate on a search and rescue team. What'd you do in the marines if you don't mind me asking?

brewerpi is offline Associate Member

air force jobs

The Air Force DOES have a full time MOS for their SERE School Instructors-your statement is incorrect.

I didn't know the Air Force's SERE was different than the one I went to when I was in the NAVY. I was a gunners mate on a search and rescue team. What'd you do in the marines if you don't mind me asking?
    Flew on C-130's

Quote Originally Posted by brewerpi
    The Air Force DOES have a full time MOS for their SERE School Instructors-your statement is incorrect.
    It is a FAP, or (Fleet assistance program). The don't join the airforce just to be SERE instructors, they are taken from different MOS's and the instructor tour is like any other tour, usually about 3 years, or how ever long they wish to stay. It is not a special duty tour, but more of a permanent job, if they wish it to be.

Fleet assistance in the Air Force??

As an Army veteran I do not claim to be an expert on the USAF, but I doubt they have anything called "fleet assistance" in the Air Force. The Air Force doesn't refer to job titles as MOS, they call them Specialty Codes.
    Air Force Speciality Code 1T0X1-Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape Operations, so yes they do in fact join the Air Force to be SERE Instructors.

Quote Originally Posted by king6
    It is a FAP, or (Fleet assistance program). The don't join the airforce just to be SERE instructors, they are taken from different MOS's and the instructor tour is like any other tour, usually about 3 years, or how ever long they wish to stay. It is not a special duty tour, but more of a permanent job, if they wish it to be.

As an Army veteran I do not claim to be an expert on the USAF, but I doubt they have anything called "fleet assistance" in the Air Force. The Air Force doesn't refer to job titles as MOS, they call them Specialty Codes.
    Air Force Speciality Code 1T0X1-Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape Operations, so yes they do in fact join the Air Force to be SERE Instructors.
    So you're telling me that someone can join the Air Force and be an instructor at SERE for 20+ years until they retire? I seriously doubt it. So I think your statement= incorrect. That'd be like somebody being able to join the Army or Navy just to be a drill instructor.

gosere.com

gosere.com

So you're telling me that someone can join the Air Force and be an instructor at SERE for 20+ years until they retire? I seriously doubt it. So I think your statement= incorrect. That'd be like somebody being able to join the Army or Navy just to be a drill instructor.

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    This is true. However, they are not going to be SERE instructors for their entire enlistment. At most, they'd get a few years of "schoolhouse" duty. The bulk of their enlistment would be spent in deployment.

Even in the Navy, SEALs cannot be BUD/S instructors or staff for more than a few years.

Bottom line: when the military spends all that money to train you, they're not just going to let you sit around - they're gonna put you to good use and get their money's worth.

I can believe that. The Chair Force has so many fvcking people, they can afford to have specific job titles. In the C-130 communities, they have a ground crew whose soul purpose in life is to pre flight the plane. In the Marines, that is the Flight Mechs job. The Chair Force also has ground loadmasters, who load the plane. And the flying loadmaster just fills out the weight and balance form. The Marine loadmasters do everything. So yeah, I can believe that they join for one job only.

Quote Originally Posted by CSAR
    This is true. However, they are not going to be SERE instructors for their entire enlistment. At most, they'd get a few years of "schoolhouse" duty. The bulk of their enlistment would be spent in deployment.

Even in the Navy, SEALs cannot be BUD/S instructors or staff for more than a few years.

Bottom line: when the military spends all that money to train you, they're not just going to let you sit around - they're gonna put you to good use and get their money's worth.
    The have a slot for SERE instructors in the SEAL community, both my instuctors at SERE were SEALS, and dicks too.

Quote Originally Posted by CSAR

Exactly, it's a shore duty (that's what it's called in the navy). I just can't see any way one can join the airforce and stay stationed at the same place and do the same job day in and day out for 20 years. Not trying to argue or sound like I know it all because I've never been in the air force but I do know that recruiters will tell you whatever they think you want you to hear just to get that sig on the dotted line.

Sere

I didn't say that they stayed in one place their whole career, I was merely attempting to point out that the USAF does in fact have a job specialty that is devoted to SERE. It's not "shore duty" it's their job, wether they are instructing at Fairchild or deployed their job is SERE.

Exactly, it's a shore duty (that's what it's called in the navy). I just can't see any way one can join the airforce and stay stationed at the same place and do the same job day in and day out for 20 years. Not trying to argue or sound like I know it all because I've never been in the air force but I do know that recruiters will tell you whatever they think you want you to hear just to get that sig on the dotted line.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Yup, but not sure though if they are career instructors. I went to tech school with a guy who washed out of SERE (I gues there is a pretty decent washout rate). I thought it sounded kinda cool and inquired about it. One guy described it as "dealing with a bunch of whiney officers". Not sure how accurate that description is, but it does seem like it would be kinda cool. If it sucks, you can always cross-train.

Thread Information