Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~

Feeling a little discouraged

Hey guys

So I'm about 6 months in on a my natural bulking cycle (still steroid free) and lately I've started to feel myself plateauing. I don't know if it's a psychological thing or if its physical, but I feel as if every pound gain is coming harder and harder and my patience is dwindling. My diet is a mix between a clean bulk with the usual protein rich foods such as tuna, chicken breast, lots of carbs, and a few cheat snacks if I please.

I changed my workout routine about a month and a half ago to shake things up and I'm usually in the gym 4-5 days a week for about an hour and a half each session. I'm supplementing with creatine and protein, and mainly try to consume about 4000 calories a day to keep the gains coming. Fat hasn't been a concern to me as I've been naturally lean most of my life.

What do you guys do when you feel this way? I know every day I'm in the gym I'm getting one step closer to my goals (I'm shooting to be 210 after bulking and cut down to a solid 200 with 10% bodyfat) but lately it's seemed to be harder than ever to get that weight up. Any opinions or advice on things that have worked for you to get through your plateaus or pshychological barriers? Thanks.

outofthebox is offline Associate Member
    do you do heavy weight low reps? low weight, high reps? switch it up for a week or two, then go back to your normal....if you are plateauing, you can try to increase intensity weather that means dropping weight and increasing reps....or dropping reps and increasing weight......I do that every so often and it keeps me gaining muscle and slowly droppin the fat =) Also there have been quite a few threads on the benefit of taking an entire week off(some even take 2!!) from the gym and just really clean up your diet for that time while you are out....then go back and hit the gym harder than you ever have before....anything to shock your body and say "hey, ef off, don't get used to this, keep building" ...keep your head high, and train hard...you'll blow past it!!

sorel_C is offline Member
    usually when I'm at a plateu, its because i've been going too long with training with out no break, so i will usually do 1 or 2 weeks of maintance workouts, where i just go 3x/week, and do striaght sets and a few reps shy from failure,

bpm1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy-chris
    usually when I'm at a plateu, its because i've been going too long with training with out no break, so i will usually do 1 or 2 weeks of maintance workouts, where i just go 3x/week, and do striaght sets and a few reps shy from failure,
    great advice from a personal trainer i believe.i agree with this as well as a wk off and then hit it light for another wk or so just to maintain, it can do wonders

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    Forgot to mention my stats as well:

21 years old
    5'10
    200 pounds
    Bf% roughly 14-15%
    Goal 210 with 10% Bf

And thanks for the tips so far guys! Appreciate it a ton.

sorel_C is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpm1
    great advice from a personal trainer i believe.i agree with this as well as a wk off and then hit it light for another wk or so just to maintain, it can do wonders
    This is acually from keeping a workoutlog, and writting everything from training/eating/sleep/mood. Keeping a log really helps out

Thread Information