JRMY2711 is offline Associate Member

Question For The Dads

HOW MANY OF YOU TOOK YOU KIDS OUT TRICK OR TREATING SO YOU COULD GET SOME CANDY?

NOW TELL THE TRUTH PETE.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    JRMY....bro, you have no idea how tough it is to watch your kid (and your wife ) mow into a huge bag of treats while you have a mouthful of dry tuna and pineapples. So far I've been good (I had 2 mini Snickers) but it's tough...there is a pillow case stuffed with goodies in Cullens room and I'm cooking rice and shrimp . Truth be told, just being on line helps me stick to my diet...I really don't want to be a hypocrite. But now I wish I started my diet next week

Pete

MarkyMark is offline Member
    LOL Pete ....

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    My girl lives with her mum and poor old dad had to get some uni done so he did,nt go round but we have Guy Fawkes night instead to enjoy.I don,t think Halloween is such a big thing in the UK as the US we seem to go more for Nov 5th I guess it appeals more as the legend was formed in the UK

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

billy

i have heard of guy fawkes day but i don't knwo too much about it.what's the history behind it?i crave new knowledge,hahah

PBNYC just for you bro

Guy Fawkes' real name was Guido Fawkes. The son of Edward Fawkes, the proctor and advocate in the constituary court of York, Fawkes was born in the Stonegate district of York and Baptized at St. Michael-le-Belfry in 1570. Fawkes had two younger sisters called Elizabeth and Anne.

Fawkes attended St. Peter's School in 1578 where he may have been influenced by the headmaster, John Pullen, a man later named as a suspected Jesuit. John and Christopher Wright also attended St. Peter's.

After his father died in 1579, his mother Edith remarried into the Catholic Bainbridge family of Scotton. It is believed it was his stepfather that influenced him to become a Catholic. By the time Fawkes had reached the age of 21, Fawkes had sold his inheritance and had joined the Catholic forces fighting in the Low Countries.

For twelve years Fawkes served in the Militia in the Netherlands. As a trained miner, he was highly skilled with gunpowder and in the practices of tunneling. During his service, Fawkes was actually at the siege of Calais and in 1603, Fawkes sought counsel with King Philip II in Spain on the plight of English Catholics. It was there, that he met with Christopher Wright, with whom he attempted to obtain Spanish support for an invasion of England.

On April 25th 1604, Fawkes arrived in England with Thomas Wintour and in May 1604 he joined the Gunpowder Plot with Robert Catesby at The Duck and Drake Inn, with the express intention of destroying the Palace of Westminster, the Houses of Parliament and King James I.

Fawkes was subsequently captured at around midnight Nov.4 and was brought before the Privy Council on November 5th. On November 7th, after several sessions of severe torture and under great duress, Fawkes finally admitted that the conspirators had planned to free Sir Walter Raleigh and other Tower of London Prisoners by blowing up Parliament with a large cache of Gunpowder.

Fawkes is recorded as saying

"yt was past, and he is nowe sorry fo yt, for that he nowe perceyveth that God did not concur with yet."

This was Fawkes' acknowledgment that he had only been foiled in his objectives by the will of God. Fawkes only revealed the identity of his co-conspirators under extreme torture on November the 9th, but only after he was told that some had already been arrested by the authorities. He was finally executed on January 31, 1606.

In 1605 on the anniversary of Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot being foiled, bonfires were lit to burn effigies of Guy Fawkes and fireworks let off in defiant celebration all over London and within a couple of years this was a national celebration. To this day Guy Fawkes is remembered each year on November 5 for his audacious attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament and nearly successful act of ultimate traitorship.

If you would like to find out more about the history behind the Gunpowder Plot we strongly recommend you visit the Gunpowder Plot Society's website at www.gunpowder-plot.org.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

thanks billy

good stuff.thanks for teaching me something new.now i'm interested so i'll check out that site.

samoth is offline Member
    Interesting.... Good post =) Learn something new every day

I guess you guys don,t celebrate it then?

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Wow Billy,

Interesting stuff!!!!

But no I didn't eat the candy with the kids!

MJ

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    I didn't eat one piece. My wife made cupcakes and cookies too (her family came over). I don't like sweets that much so it didn't bother me one bit.

Thread Information