Thread: Genetics

brianfantana is offline Junior Member

Genetics

I've read an awful lot about genetics on this forum, does anyone actually thinks this makes a huge difference and how do you define genetics?

I know i'm going to get flamed a bit, i'm lucky i guess my genetics must be 'good' but none of my family are strong or built and no my mum didn't sleep with the milkman, i've not yet started my var cycle and i've only used creatine and protein thus far. I think it's in the head personally, if you're going to try your best you see the best gains, i'm sure the placebo effect of creatine [i thought it was like the dogs bollocks] had the biggest affect on how much i was lifting throughout 16-19 and of course this led to my build - no, im not comparing myself to arnie or anything!

How do you define genetics, is this like ****morphic, endo and ecto or is this something different, sorry if this sounds stupid, I keep reading arnie has fantastic genetics but surely his determination and training made him what he was not his genetics! If bill gates hit the gym solidly until he was 60 he might look something like arnie did if he had the drive and determination (albeit he may look older and saggier) and got on the aas of course.

kaberle_15 is offline Anabolic Member
    For future reference please do not start a thread that has no steroid question or comment in the steroid section.

The terms endomorphic, ****morphic and ectomorphic are used to describe an individuals body type. Yes, your genetics will determine which body type you are and because no one is completely one bodytype (one individual is measured by accounts to all 3 types) it is possible to change your bodytype via diet and exercise.

Yes, Arnold had fantastic genetics. It was his fantastic genetics that allowed him to train and eat the way he did to build the body he had and still does have. If you have ever seen the training routines Arnold had practiced you will know that it was extremely demanding and a normal person would not be able to make the gains he made because he had superior bodybuilding genetics which the majority of people do not. No matter how much drive and determination a person could have, without genetics they would never turn pro and they will never look like Arnold did.

Thousands of people all over the world train and diet religiously and they use aas and live bodybuilding but there is a reason why the majority will never get their pro cards, genetics.

Ok, apologies i didnt realise it was that strict a board - the reason i'm interested is because surely this must relate somehow to how you must cycle, but i guess you cant do that because you wouldnt know before hand

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    Placebo effect of creatine.... yeah.. Anyway no of course Bill Gates would never look like arnold. Hes a total b!tch, a rich one at that but his genetics obviously say NO when it comes to looking like Arnold. If genetics didn't really mean anthing everyone would be a pro. Some people are naturally super thin, some are medium build, some are jacked without ever touching a weight, and others are fat. Genetics play the biggest role in bodybuilding.

Shane35aa is offline Senior Member
    Agreed. I have always found it to be ironic, the one factor that has the most control, is the one we have no control of what so ever.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by brianfantana
    I've read an awful lot about genetics on this forum, does anyone actually thinks this makes a huge difference and how do you define genetics?

I know i'm going to get flamed a bit, i'm lucky i guess my genetics must be 'good' but none of my family are strong or built and no my mum didn't sleep with the milkman, i've not yet started my var cycle and i've only used creatine and protein thus far. I think it's in the head personally, if you're going to try your best you see the best gains, i'm sure the placebo effect of creatine [i thought it was like the dogs bollocks] had the biggest affect on how much i was lifting throughout 16-19 and of course this led to my build - no, im not comparing myself to arnie or anything!

How do you define genetics, is this like ****morphic, endo and ecto or is this something different, sorry if this sounds stupid, I keep reading arnie has fantastic genetics but surely his determination and training made him what he was not his genetics! If bill gates hit the gym solidly until he was 60 he might look something like arnie did if he had the drive and determination (albeit he may look older and saggier) and got on the aas of course.
    this is my take....any one can get a fantastic body.......But genetics most certainly seperates those who are amazing from those who are good...imho you are wrong about arnie.......how many people copy what he was doing to the tea? how many people look even remotely like him? zero!!!

in pro bb

to me, genetics means 2 things
    1. bone structure/body frame/maturity of musculature
    2. high androgen affinity/muscle mass comes easier to you than others on the same doses of steroids .....sad but true

also imho, you will find out whta kind of genetics you have inside of 2-3 years of lifting........are you passing people around you up by leaps and bounds........have you quickly surpassed people who have been lifting for years? at 21 years old, are you natural and surpassing the 30-40 year olds in your gym who are juicing?
    Last edited by IronReload04; 10-24-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Renesis i meant more the feelgood "i can lift lots look at me im 16 and benching more than my adult rugby team" type placebo affect; it didnt make me any healthier or affect me that much it was the time i put in the gym and diet that really did it but i credited it solely to the creatine if that makes sense :-)

I've read of guys who have got to a fair size naturally which suggests 'good' genetics but when cycling they've not made the insane gains they expected or shown by others online, but i'm sure there are external factors like diet and routine - the problem with the internet nobody admits to flaws in diets and routines and expect AAS and PH to make them king kong :-)

I respect your opinions; please don't think i'm saying you're wrong it's not the case.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    One part of your genetic makeup determines how your body responds to external stimuli. Like any other trait or factor controlled by the genes you carry around in every cell in your body, there is a variation in populations. If you graphed out a particular trait you would see something similar to a bell curve. At either end of the bell curve you would see the extreme phenotypes. To the left you would see extremely thin people and to the far right you would see those that are muscular and huge. Steroids induce your genes to start transcribing mRNA that later is translated into proteins that tell the cell what to do. Everybody's genetic makeup is different which means that no one stimuli will cause the same changes in every person the exact same way. This is true for steroid use , stress, exercise, diet ect. So to simply answer your question, genes as they relate to exercise and your "genetic potential" is merely a combination of genes that cause changes that the person finds favorable to whatever stimuli that the persons body is under.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience
    One part of your genetic makeup determines how your body responds to external stimuli. Like any other trait or factor controlled by the genes you carry around in every cell in your body, there is a variation in populations. If you graphed out a particular trait you would see something similar to a bell curve. At either end of the bell curve you would see the extreme phenotypes. To the left you would see extremely thin people and to the far right you would see those that are muscular and huge. Steroids induce your genes to start transcribing mRNA that later is translated into proteins that tell the cell what to do. Everybody's genetic makeup is different which means that no one stimuli will cause the same changes in every person the exact same way. This is true for steroid use, stress, exercise, diet ect. So to simply answer your question, genes as they relate to exercise and your "genetic potential" is merely a combination of genes that cause changes that the person finds favorable to whatever stimuli that the persons body is under.
    great answer

plus their is so much more.....Their is natural levels of hormones for example

muscle attachments are a pretty big deal

for instance. a gorilla can have the exact same size bicep as a human....but the gorilla will be 10 times stronger than the human simply because his bicep attaches farther away from the joint....where the human will have more speed and range of motion because he is attached differently

then their is muscles bellies...are you grainy and hard like dorian, or full and round like flex and kevin

bone structure

regularotory proteins for inhibiting muscle growth

gene mutations which null the previous protein

the list just goes on and on

Thanks guys i have a better understanding in the context now :-)

Thread Information