Thread: manual driving

Ajc330 is offline Senior Member

manual driving

is it possible that i can teach myself to drive stick shift on the way home from the dealer without hurting the engine, the dealer said i could harm the engine if i didn't know how to drive stick shift properly

Fordfan01 is offline Member
    dude u need to learn how to drive a stick before u buy a car that has one yes u can tear up the transmisson, clutch and so many different things

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    you could burn out the clutch. But if the car is new with a warranty who cares.

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    I drove home a brand new harley from the dealership when Id never rode a bike b4 in my life.

Is it under warranty?

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    clutch and servos could get a little damaged

Dizz28 is offline I reject your reality and substitute my own
    If the car doesn't have shift gates and you accidentally shift into 2nd instead of 4th, you could blow the motor or lock the wheels and lose control.

But you'll most likely just burn out your clutch

it's got a 100,000 mile/lifetime warranty on transmission.. i want to drive manual but everyone is like "i'd teach you if i had a junky manual car sorry"

so idk what to do lol i'm scared of crashing on the way home from the dealer or something because i would be too busy focusing on hitting clutch etc and not on the road so much

I'm pretty sure that warranty doesn't cover a clutch. Things like brake pads, clutches and bulbs are all considered consumables and aren't usually covered in warranties unles you drive a BMW or similar that have the total maintenance built into it. And in that case even oils changes are free.

You burn out that clutch and it's going to cost you well over a grand, depending on make and drive train.

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    Clutches are covered under warrenty only if the dealer believes that it failed on its own. But being your age is going to work against you, as they will think you were just clutch dropping the sh*t out of it. If you do decide to drive it home just turn on your hazards and go slow in the right hand lane. Go from 1st to 2nd and 3rd and sit maybe in 4th or w/e gear would be suitable for 40mph (if on a highway). It isn't to hard, but you are going to suck big time for the first week. By the end of the first month you will be fine. I learned to drive stick on my car, I beat the crap out of the clutch then and now and it has a solid 19k miles on it without any signs of slipping. Clutches can handle abuse just DO NOT RIDE THE CLUTCH!!!

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    What kind of car is it?

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Learn on something else or get it to a large parking lot you can drive around in for a day. I wouldn't worry about ruining a clutch or anything but you'll just be stalling at every stop light looking like an idiot.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    I've seen a dude's wife take out her husbands week old 5 series bmw and burn the clutch out. He was pissed and they wouldn't cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    I've seen a dude's wife take out her husbands week old 5 series bmw and burn the clutch out. He was pissed and they wouldn't cover it.
    3grand down the toilet...

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    I remember 20 years ago when I learned how to drive stick on a rental car.
    I wouldn't drive home from the dealership if I didn't know how to properly drive my new car. How are you going to be able to concentrate when you are playing with all the bells and whistles on your new car? You don't know 1 person that drives stick and can help you out?
    Peace,
    CR

CAT1 is offline Female Member
    thats how i learned , as long as you dont ride the clutch you should be fine ... your just going to piss everyone off around you till you get home . Stay away from hills in the begining till you get used to the roll back...

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    just get someone else to take it home for you and learn how to drive it properly. no sense wearing out the clutch or putting any strain on any of the engine components

batlin is offline Associate Member
    Come on guys, with the new cars out there, he isnt going to permanently damage the car if he learns on it on the way home.. it might not be the most exciting drive in the world but hey it wont burn the clutch out.. that is what the clutch it for.. ya you might take a few thousand miles off the clutch but in the grand scheme of things.. it wont kill it... most card wont even let you drop it into reverse if you are going forward.. tried this (on my 335i bmw) and it just wouldn't let me... no i wouldn't have dropped the clutch but it litterally wouldnt let me shift to reverse... so go for, have a good time

most likely you'll stall every time you stop. it takes a few days to get stick down, and i wouldnt want to do it in the middle of the day with a new car in the middle of town.

Quote Originally Posted by ottomaddox View Post
    I remember 20 years ago when I learned how to drive stick on a rental car.
    I wouldn't drive home from the dealership if I didn't know how to properly drive my new car. How are you going to be able to concentrate when you are playing with all the bells and whistles on your new car? You don't know 1 person that drives stick and can help you out?
    Peace,
    CR
    the infamous sayings "i wish i could but i don't have a peice of junk clutch car to teach you"

i just want to say thanks for everyone's input and their knowledge, i appreciate it.. i think i'ma just have my bro's gf drive it home form the dealer and i'll learn in a parking lot or something.. kinda sucks i can't take the first drive in the car

Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member
    driving clutch is easier than people make out pal, just wen you begin, featehr the throttle, then the clutch out slowly, you will feel the engine bitting the clutch then lower the handbrake and you will feel the car starting to move, then let the cluthc out further till all the way out and put on some gas

when you are shifting up just let off the gas and press the clutch all teh way down, change gear up and let the cluthc out when in gear then put the gass on again
    changing down is just the same only
    brake then as sthe revs hit say 1500 clutch in and gear down then clutch out. easy

gears are piece of piss

my hint, get it to a parking lot that is empty or quiet.

practice stopping and starting for 20 mins or so, you will have the shifting thing done then

dont worry about clutch damage, its balls what people say, and if they do go, big deal.

On the 2nd-4th or 5th to 3rd. it known as a block change

say if i was going at say 90, and wanted to come to a stop, id hit the break, break it down all the way to say 1000 rpm then cluthc in in to 3rd clutch out and keep breaking, saves takign yoru hand off the wheel to change gear down all teh time 5-4-3-2-1.

The engine will break aid for you as well as the breaks, called "engine breaking"

Quote Originally Posted by batlin View Post
    most card wont even let you drop it into reverse if you are going forward.. tried this (on my 335i bmw) and it just wouldn't let me... no i wouldn't have dropped the clutch but it litterally wouldnt let me shift to reverse... so go for, have a good time
    Ive always wondered about this, never tried it at a decent speed tho

I imagine at worst you will lock the diff up and end up wrapped around a tree on in a field on your roof sumwhere after doing about four 360degree spins

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    lol i killed my clutch like that ouchhhh learn on a POS car b4 u drive your new one

Quote Originally Posted by big daddy k de View Post
    lol i killed my clutch like that ouchhhh learn on a POS car b4 u drive your new one
    even if i got someone next to me teaching me?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajc330
    even if i got someone next to me teaching me?
    google how to drive manual, it'll give you a good idea how. thats how i learned. do some reading to grasp the concepts and then go try. guaranteed you are going to stall quite a few times. the hardest part of driving stick is getting used to the friction point where the clutch engages. it takes practice

yeah i saw a few google vids, thanks for the help fellas

i have the main idea of maual driving down, but just a few questions...
    if i am driving around 55 or 65 and the light is green and it turns yellow when you approach and you won't make it, how do i downshift so quick to break and catch the red light..

and when i am slowing down, how do i know when to go form 5th gear to 4th gear, then 4th gear to 3rd gear and so on?

and to go from 1st gear to second gear, and i will know by the sound and feel of my car, correct? someone once told me to watch my rpms and do it in between 2000 and 3000 rpm

if you have a tach, you should shift at around 3k rpms as you accellerate. downshifting is the opposite, when your rpms start to drop you need to shift down or else you will stall. you'll find out when the best speeds are to do this if you just brake and push the clutch in and downshift, the engine will rev up as you downshift and the higher it revs, the lower your speed needs to be when you downshift to make the transition smoother.

keep reading and looking at vids and play around with the car to get the feel for shifting.

just make sure you arent redlining your tach.

what kinda car is it anyway?

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Just get a rental car with a standard for a few days.

08 lancer the test drive was awesome

Just make sure you plan a route home from the dealership that won't have you stopping on any hills and you should be fine

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    go to the rental shop, rent a stick, drive for 1 day.. then pick up your new car..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

3bd
    3bd is offline Anabolic Member
    r u kidding me? just drive the fvcker. a clutch is the best friend you'll ever have... beats the living shit out of automatic. have fun and "just do it". can you ride a dirt bike? then you can do this.

never rode a dirt bike hmm what's the rate for a 1 day rental

3bd
    3bd is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajc330 View Post
    never rode a dirt bike hmm what's the rate for a 1 day rental
    alright then you're probably right to get some sort of experience first, but i seriously doublt you will damage anything unless your just totally wacked. it's the same learning curve we all went through and we didn't tear anything up - shortened the life? maybe, but who can really say. you'll be fine. just stay relaxed and know what it is you are doing. it would be best if you have a friend with a stick more than a rental cuz he/she could help talk you through the first couple of attemps.

Thread Information