Clincher is offline Junior Member

Desperate need of HELP!!! // Flying to Europe

Hey guys, I am in need of some ideas on how I can make this work. I am 26 years old and I have to fly to Germany and back in December. The flight is 8 hours each way. My problem is I am absolutly horrified of flying since the first time I went there two years ago when my plane hit wind sheer and dropped about 10,000 feet in what seemed like 2 minutes of free fall. People and drinks and everything hit the cieling of the plane as we were falling it was insane. Long story short I can barely force myself to make these extremely important business trips now. I need some ideas here.... I need someone to help me find something to help me through this because my job and lively hood is on the line...

So here is a little background. I am 6'4 275lbs and pretty solid. I had ADHD pretty bad when I was a kid but overcame it as a adult yet I still react adversely to some meds that are suppose to slow me down. I have tried going to the airport two hours early and getting sloppy drunk prior to getting on the plane. Didn't work. I sober up in about 45 minutes and go into panic mode. I have tried X**** but I took so many I thought I was going to ruin my liver and it doesn't chill me out in the least bit. Last time on the way home I took like 8mg of v***** but I was still in panic mode just not able to do as much physically when I was in the air plus every 2 hours I have to pop more to keep me the least bit calm.

Does anyone have any kind of ideas that I could try? Is there anything out there that I haven't tried yet or some magic pill that is garunteed to zonk me out for 8 hours till I get to my destination? I am willing to try anything but I have to find something because my flight is less then two months away at this point and I am already losing sleep over it.

I can honestly say I feel like I am on the brink of a heart attack everytime my flight hits the least bit of turbulance. Please someone help....
    Last edited by Clincher; 11-13-2007 at 04:13 PM.

johnmacdan is offline Associate Member
    Try some of that shit they used to shoot BA up with on the A Team. Seriously, I always do the drink some first, not drunk, but enough to make me sleepy. I fall asleep before we leave the ground and that helps a bunch. You could also try hypnosis. Don't know if I believe in it much, but it could help. One other thing is to block out your senses. Sleep mask and ear plugs. If you can stand the sensory deprivation, you should be able to get off the ground with relative ease.

longhorn814 is offline Anabolic Member
    dude its all mental..Ive similar things happen on a flight before..yeah its kinda freaky feeling the plane drop, but you have to realize flying is the safest form of transportation there is. The pilots have experience with almost everything you can imagine so they know what theyre doing. Most airplane incidents actually occur on the runway. Once your in the air you have nothing to worry about. Those planes are designed to handle turbulence and rough weather. Have you ever been in a car accident? Were you able to drive again? I had a near death car accident 3 years ago and I was lucky I walked away, sure I was kinda freaked out, but I was driving the next day. Good luck with it bro, but if xannies or alcohol dont help, I suggest going to talk to a therapist about your problem. The other suggestion is to force yourself to stay awake for about 24 hours or so until you flight so that you reach the point of exhaustion, then try to pass out on the plane after a couple drinks..they might be a short term problem

wantmoremass is offline Associate Member
    you might want to try therapy (i'm serious). sounds like you have some deep-rooted issues that won't easily be solved by anything short of having someone knock you out before they drag you on the plane. you can actually work through your fears - if you think about it, your chances of having another scary incident flying are pretty much nothing now that it's happened once... i realize that phobias are not rational, but try thinking about it that way. if all else fails, try an ambien... you've got 8 hours.

Expat is offline Female Member
    Blog Entries
    ..I used to be the same way as u...until I sat next to an airflight attendant and she put it in perspective for me...this is what she said that quelled a large part of my fear....My father was a WW2 pilot and then he went on to being a Commercial pilot..he did this for 30 years...he died in his sleep not from from an aircraft fatality...she had been an airflight attendant for 15 years...and she was still alive. that my dear is food for thought....They flew damn near everyday making the odds against them..so...think about it...That pilot does not wish to die..just as much as u don't wish to die..he is going to do everything in his power to stay alive..thus keeping u alive...When u get back let us know how u did!!

Expat is offline Female Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by longhorn814
    dude its all mental..Ive similar things happen on a flight before..yeah its kinda freaky feeling the plane drop, but you have to realize flying is the safest form of transportation there is. The pilots have experience with almost everything you can imagine so they know what theyre doing. Most airplane incidents actually occur on the runway. Once your in the air you have nothing to worry about. Those planes are designed to handle turbulence and rough weather. Have you ever been in a car accident? Were you able to drive again? I had a near death car accident 3 years ago and I was lucky I walked away, sure I was kinda freaked out, but I was driving the next day. Good luck with it bro, but if xannies or alcohol dont help, I suggest going to talk to a therapist about your problem. The other suggestion is to force yourself to stay awake for about 24 hours or so until you flight so that you reach the point of exhaustion, then try to pass out on the plane after a couple drinks..they might be a short term problem
    I don't suggest doing any sleep aids...there is the problem from deep vien thrombosis from lack of movement in your legs....be sure and move about some and stretch your legs and move your toes around in a circular motion...I would be more concerned w/this than a crash

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    You have a better chance of dying in your car then you do on a plane. There are other alternatives to calm your nerves than heavy meds, in forms of herbs. Your local health food store should carry something. A nice glass of red wine helps me relax, and I hate flying but I do it almost every week. I will get you the name of the liquid drops I take before flying to help u chill.

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    I take 2mg of *EDIT* 1 hour before boarding and 6 double vodka tonics.....I am sleeping on the runway.....
    Last edited by damiongage; 11-14-2007 at 07:37 AM.

Man I took more x**** then I can remember trying to knock myself out. I think I am going to cocktail soem a***** and v***** and try to make it. A few months back I had to fly from CHicago to West Viginia. When I got to the plane i saw that it was a older plane and was freaking out. I walked onto the plane and got about 10 rows deep when I turned around and got off. I have flown once since then and it was to Germany and back. I mean I can get on teh plane and sit there but **** man soon as the bitches starts to take off I feel like my heart is about to explode.

I appericiate all the ideas from you guys but the whole thing is way to serious for me to just think of a few things that might calm me cause it doesn't at all. Either way I am now in the search for V*****.
    Last edited by Clincher; 11-13-2007 at 02:52 PM.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    ***No source checks!!!***

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    The best thing would be to talk to your doctor. Please edit the drugs out of your posts. Thanks.

Roida did you want me to take the names out of the post?

RA
    Yes please

Quote Originally Posted by TheDecon View Post
    Roida did you want me to take the names out of the post?

I apologize for posting those I didn't realize it was against the rules. Sorry bud.

RA
    No problem. Could you hit your first post also?

Ive always had an abnormal fear of flying...heights in general. When I try the stuff you did then I want to sleep when I get there but I dont have a choice. Without anything I doubt I would get on the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDecon View Post
    I apologize for posting those I didn't realize it was against the rules. Sorry bud.

xero is offline Associate Member
    Have you tried Ambien?

Thread Information