DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Any overclockers here ?

I just build a new rig and am just now starting to play with her.
    I use to be 100% an AMD guy but i am trying the intel dual core for the first time. With the reviews i have read and the experience thus far i am really impressed. I also went out on a limb with the video card and went Nvidia instead of Ati (i use to be Ati fan as well). I traded out my Ati 2900Pro 1GB for the OC'ed XFX 8800GTX and holy @#$% the difference.

Specs
    On XP Home
    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R rev.2
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 3.2 --24/7 OC
    Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC2 6400 4-4-4-8 @ 2.2v
    XFX 8800GTX Extreme 768MB 600/1900
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
    Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM

These are my mild-24/7 clocks at the moment. I wanted to see where i could get the CPU without touching the Vcore and at the same time having it be stable as possible. Running @ 3.2 VS default 2.66 seems to be rock solid. I have had it under stress for about 12 hrs with no problems (heat or artifacts). I am getting ready to start bumping the vcore and see where she takes me.
    Last edited by DSM4Life; 11-17-2007 at 12:23 PM.

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    What exactly is overclocking ?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuieTSToRM33 View Post
    What exactly is overclocking ?
    From Dictionary.com

overclocking hardware
    Any adjustments made to computer hardware (or software) to make its CPU run at a higher clock rate than intended by the original manufacturers. Typically this involves replacing the crystal in the clock generation circuitry with a higher frequency one or changing jumper settings or software configuration.
    If the clock rate is increased too far, eventually some component in the system will not be able to cope and the system will stop working. This failure may be continuous (the system never works at the higher frequency) or intermittant (it fails more often but works some of the time) or, in the worst case, irreversible (a component is damaged by overheating). Overclocking may necessitate improved cooling to maintain the same level of reliability.

In laymen terms, i am running the CPU faster than it was intended. The manf (intel) released the CPU at a clock speed of 2.66Ghz. I have bumped that up to 3.2Ghz thus making the CPU/computer faster than the manf originally intended it to be. Why would i want to do this ? Save money and gain performance.

Ex
    You have two CPU's

CPUA 2.0Ghz and cost $99.00

CPUB 3.0Ghz and cost $210.00

I would buy the CPUA and overclock that to 3.0Ghz. Not only am i saving $111.00 bucks but at the same time i getting the same performance as the more expensive CPU.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    I haven't overclocked in years, I had a K6 2 350 that I clocked at 400 and all was swell, so I got greedy and bumped it to 450, it lasted about 2 seconds after power up.

siddy101 is offline Associate Member
    I burnt out my old pentium 366mhz i think it was when a mate overclocked it to over 500mhz. the good old days.

Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member
    I have a Inter(R) M processor 1.73GHz in my packard bell laptop,

Running it at 100% clock speed at the moment so Windows Care is telling me.
    Was running at 900Mhz but had adjusted the settings and am now only using 16bit on the graphics side of things.

Tried clocking it when the syste was on maximum stress but averytime i took her past 1000Mhz it crashed.

Got the core voltage at 1.2v
    External clock at 400Mhz

Only have 512Mb of Ram but to help a little im using 10G of virtual memory on my HDD (what is the point in having it empty eh?

siddy101 is offline Associate Member
    haha good stuff

Thread Information