Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mr newbreed is offline Banned

Religion And Your Opinion ?

IM WRITING this because im intrested to know abouth different religions in different countrys,especialy JEHOVAHS WITNESSES as a relative has just become one !.
    please also give me your opinion on your religion and why its for you ?

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    I like the thought of there being something after life but i dont believe in organized religion or miracles.

i hope there is something but until i see some kind of evidence, i dont believe in anything

kif
    kif is offline Member
    ^^^^^same way I feel amorphic nothing organized...i need evidence!!

southmadejd is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr newbreed View Post
    IM WRITING this because im intrested to know abouth different religions in different countrys,especialy JEHOVAHS WITNESSES as a relative has just become one !.
    The only thing I know about Jehovah's Witnesses is that they enjoy waking me up extra early on my Saturdays. And I am too polite to be rude to them and it is kind of hard to get mad at somebody when all they are doing is "spreading the word of the lord" but I swear that God wants me to sleep past 8 am on Saturdays. Oh well it lets me start drinking earlier for College Football.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Use wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron View Post
    Use wikipedia.
    i have done a wiki search but im looking to hear real feedback off real people

Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member
    They are weird if you ask me. They dont fvck out of their circles (well not supposed to), they will not accept blood transfusions and they donate a 3rd of their earnings to the "circle they are in"

dupa95 is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    For real religion sucks! spirituality is where it's at.

I_Want_Abs is offline Senior Member
    My dad is an Anglican Priest but i myself dont follow religeon to closely. I do however believe there is something else out there.....

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    All the other animals on the planet that I see just rot away when they die.
    I expect I'll do the same, and that will be that.

Is there anything more past death? Not that I've seen. And nothing that anyone can demonstrate to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock

Is there anything more past death? Not that I've seen. And nothing that anyone can demonstrate to me.
    thats the reality that scares me. I always think to myself, how can someone cease to exist when theyve known existance?

it freaks the hell out of me, death is the only thing i am 100% uncomfortable with, i dont know if i can ever accept my mortality

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorphic View Post
    death is the only thing i am 100% uncomfortable with, i dont know if i can ever accept my mortality
    Don't worry about it.

Remember last night the moment when you fell asleep? Or the moment when you fainted or blacked out? IMHO, that's what death will be like. You'll lose consciousness for the last time, and that will be that.

There's a grieving process that people go through whenever they experience a significant loss. Anger, depression, denial, bargaining, and finally, acceptance. As you age, you'll (hopefully) contemplate your mortality, and go through this process as you grieve the eventual loss of your life. Your philosophy on life will broaden and change, and you'll gain some wisdom.

Then, one day will be your last, and then your friends will dig a hole, and throw you in it. And that will be that.
    On the up-side, there's no Hell to worry about, so that's something. So meanwhile, just focus on living the best life you can right now, because this is the only life you're going to ever have.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    Don't worry about it.

Remember last night the moment when you fell asleep? Or the moment when you fainted or blacked out? IMHO, that's what death will be like. You'll lose consciousness for the last time, and that will be that.

There's a grieving process that people go through whenever they experience a significant loss. Anger, depression, denial, bargaining, and finally, acceptance. As you age, you'll (hopefully) contemplate your mortality, and go through this process as you grieve the eventual loss of your life. Your philosophy on life will broaden and change, and you'll gain some wisdom.

Then, one day will be your last, and then your friends will dig a hole, and throw you in it. And that will be that.
    On the up-side, there's no Hell to worry about, so that's something. So meanwhile, just focus on living the best life you can right now, because this is the only life you're going to ever have.
    I'll keep that in mind Tock.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Heh, since time is an illusion anyways, maybe the brief "period" between unconsicousness and brain failure will feel like an eternity.

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock View Post
    Don't worry about it.

This seems to be a reasonable analogy

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr newbreed View Post
    I lean more towards being a realist. When your life ends and you die its lights out, over. Some people might say this kind of thinking might be depressing but it’s like any other living animal. It lives and it dies.

Blog Entries
    Don't worry about it.

+2

Didn't read your post before i posted but i agree 100%.

The only certainty of life is that you will die ............LMFAO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paulzane View Post
    The only certainty of life is that you will die ............LMFAO
    Some say you begin dying the moment you are born.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Quote Originally Posted by Odpierdol_sie! View Post
    They are weird if you ask me. They dont fvck out of their circles (well not supposed to), they will not accept blood transfusions and they donate a 3rd of their earnings to the "circle they are in"
    Quite simply...you have no idea what you are talking about...

1. They do not associate intimately outside of their religion, as they believe that "Bad association ruins useful habits." They consider people who are not in their religion to be "Worldly," meaning that they are involved in the materialistic world around us.

2. They believe that blood is sacred, as it is stated in the bible, and that is why they do not accept blood transfusions.

3. You are absolutely incorrect. They do not donate a 3rd of their earnings to their church (actually they call it a Kingdom Hall). Donations are completely optional, again I dont know where you recieved your information but you should realize that what you just stated is completely false.

4. They are called Jehovah's Witnesses because that is God's name. God is a title, it is not a name. They follow a version of the bible which is completely unedited from the original text. Versions such as the King James bible edit out the name Jehovah over something like 300 times.

5. They do not say the pledge of allegiance to the flag in school. This is because they do not pledge allegiance to a government run by man. Their only allegiance is to god.

6. They dont celebrate holidays such as Christmas, Halloween, etc. Because none of them are actually in the bible. They are traditions that were instituted over time from religious or cultural entities.

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Quite simply...you have no idea what you are talking about...

1. They do not associate intimately outside of their religion, as they believe that "Bad association ruins useful habits." They consider people who are not in their religion to be "Worldly," meaning that they are involved in the materialistic world around us.

2. They believe that blood is sacred, as it is stated in the bible, and that is why they do not accept blood transfusions.

3. You are absolutely incorrect. They do not donate a 3rd of their earnings to their church (actually they call it a Kingdom Hall). Donations are completely optional, again I dont know where you recieved your information but you should realize that what you just stated is completely false.

4. They are called Jehovah's Witnesses because that is God's name. God is a title, it is not a name. They follow a version of the bible which is completely unedited from the original text. Versions such as the King James bible edit out the name Jehovah over something like 300 times.

5. They do not say the pledge of allegiance to the flag in school. This is because they do not pledge allegiance to a government run by man. Their only allegiance is to god.

6. They dont celebrate holidays such as Christmas, Halloween, etc. Because none of them are actually in the bible. They are traditions that were instituted over time from religious or cultural entities.
    very informative,thankyou

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    science = fact

I need to see it to believe it. Scared of death? No, but curious to see what awaits, if anything.

the truth is what u want it to be. everyone thinks their right and everyone else is going to "burn in hell"....bullshit

Just be a good person with good morals, and if anything, u will end in a good place

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Also....

7. They do not believe in hell. They do believe in the devil, Satan. Who was cast down from heaven and confined to the Earth. They believe that this happened in the first World War I. This is because the bible states that the devil would be cast down from heaven and the world would goto war when this happened, or something to that effect.

8. They believe that 144,000 people from Earth will be selected to rule in the Heavens with Jehovah.

9. They also believe that Jesus is Jehovahs only begotten son.

10. They beleive in Armageddon. However, they believe that after Armageddon, the people who are selected by God, those who have lived their lives according to his law, will live in a paradise earth forever, without sickness, suffering, or death. They often referr to this as "The New System." As it will be a new system of things, where sickness and death do not exist, and that people will live eternally. This is because Adam and Eve were originally intended to live forever, and only became imperfect after eating the fruit from the tree.

11. Also, in regards to them waking you up at 8am. They go door to door, which they call "Field Service." They do this because in the bible it says to spread Gods word and to try and save as many people as possible before Armageddon. They have different tiers of people who perform this field service. There are those who devote a certain amount of hours per week to it, usually 3-15. Those who devote 40-60 hours of their time to field service are known as 'Pioneers'.

I mean really, their religion is based off a quite literal interpretation of the bible. Everything I have just stated can be cited by scripture. It's really hard for anyone to refute most of their beliefs, as they are all stated in black&white in the bible. Another interesting fact, is that people who are Jehovahs Witnesses also refer to it as "The Truth." And when they speak to one another if they were to ask about another person, they would say "Is that person in the truth?"(meaning a Jehovahs Witness). It's also noteworthy that none of their governing body of their Kingdom Halls ever make any kind of monetary profit from the donations. Any money takin in is for maitenance fo their building or other needs, never for anyones personal gains. No priests driving Mercedes-Benz like in the Catholic churh. Also, as far as their heirarchy within their Kingdom Halls. There are two types of people who hold positions. The first is the 'Ministerial Servant', they do a number of small tasks such as running the microphone system at the Kingdom Halls, carrying microphones to people when they are giving answers, etc, etc. The highest position in the Kingdom Halls are called "Elders." There are several of them, who are appointed by other Elders. They run all aspects of the Kingdom Halls, from finances, and etc. They also give advice to other members of the Kingdom Hall, and they make tuff decisions based on conduct of certain members.

A Jehovahs Witness is not baptised at birth, they are baptised when they feel they are ready to live their lives in accordance with Gods word. They are asked a series of questions by the Elders before they are able to be baptised. After doing so they are a baptised member of the Kingdom Hall, and are able to participate in field service. If a person who is baptised commits some type of offense, such as using drugs, having sex before marriage, cheating on a spouse, or some other type of conduct which is unbecoming of a baptised person, they have a meeting with the Elders. If the Elders decide that the offense is bad enough, they are "DISFELLOWSHIPPED." If this occurs, the person is still free to attend meetings at the Kingdom Hall, however no one is allowed to talk to them, and sometimes even their own family members will disassociate themselves with the person, although they are allowed to talk to them. A person must show dilligence in attending meetings and after a period of 6mos-1year they may be 'reinstated.'

Thats about all I can come up with off the top of my head, any other specific questions on their beliefs just ask...

Z12
    Z12 is offline Associate Member

Absolutely right Tock. Religious people seem to think that we are not animals, that humans are "special." I don't buy this. Yes, humans are smarter than animals, at least in some ways, but IMHO sound science and simple observation seem to prove that we are more similar to "simple" animals than we are dissimilar. And don't forget..... humans are the only species that is stupid enough to be in the process of destroying ourselves and all that surrounds around us.

Also....

8. They believe that 144,000 people from Earth will be selected to rule in the Heavens with Jehovah.
    That is almost as stupid as the Muslim's 72 virgins in Heaven!

doolo is offline Associate Member
    When my Father died i had trouble with my non belief cause it hurt so bad to think that he was just gone. Then that made me realize even more how much a spoof religion is.

Also....

7. They do not believe in hell. They do believe in the devil, Satan. Who was cast down from heaven and confined to the Earth. They believe that this happened in the first World War I. This is because the bible states that the devil would be cast down from heaven and the world would goto war when this happened, or something to that effect.

9. They also believe that Jesus is Jehovahs only begotten son.

10. They beleive in Armageddon. However, they believe that after Armageddon, the people who are selected by God, those who have lived their lives according to his law, will live in a paradise earth forever, without sickness, suffering, or death. They often referr to this as "The New System." As it will be a new system of things, where sickness and death do not exist, and that people will live eternally. This is because Adam and Eve were originally intended to live forever, and only became imperfect after eating the fruit from the tree.

11. Also, in regards to them waking you up at 8am. They go door to door, which they call "Field Service." They do this because in the bible it says to spread Gods word and to try and save as many people as possible before Armageddon. They have different tiers of people who perform this field service. There are those who devote a certain amount of hours per week to it, usually 3-15. Those who devote 40-60 hours of their time to field service are known as 'Pioneers'.

I mean really, their religion is based off a quite literal interpretation of the bible. Everything I have just stated can be cited by scripture. It's really hard for anyone to refute most of their beliefs, as they are all stated in black&white in the bible. Another interesting fact, is that people who are Jehovahs Witnesses also refer to it as "The Truth." And when they speak to one another if they were to ask about another person, they would say "Is that person in the truth?"(meaning a Jehovahs Witness). It's also noteworthy that none of their governing body of their Kingdom Halls ever make any kind of monetary profit from the donations. Any money takin in is for maitenance fo their building or other needs, never for anyones personal gains. No priests driving Mercedes-Benz like in the Catholic churh. Also, as far as their heirarchy within their Kingdom Halls. There are two types of people who hold positions. The first is the 'Ministerial Servant', they do a number of small tasks such as running the microphone system at the Kingdom Halls, carrying microphones to people when they are giving answers, etc, etc. The highest position in the Kingdom Halls are called "Elders." There are several of them, who are appointed by other Elders. They run all aspects of the Kingdom Halls, from finances, and etc. They also give advice to other members of the Kingdom Hall, and they make tuff decisions based on conduct of certain members.

A Jehovahs Witness is not baptised at birth, they are baptised when they feel they are ready to live their lives in accordance with Gods word. They are asked a series of questions by the Elders before they are able to be baptised. After doing so they are a baptised member of the Kingdom Hall, and are able to participate in field service. If a person who is baptised commits some type of offense, such as using drugs, having sex before marriage, cheating on a spouse, or some other type of conduct which is unbecoming of a baptised person, they have a meeting with the Elders. If the Elders decide that the offense is bad enough, they are "DISFELLOWSHIPPED." If this occurs, the person is still free to attend meetings at the Kingdom Hall, however no one is allowed to talk to them, and sometimes even their own family members will disassociate themselves with the person, although they are allowed to talk to them. A person must show dilligence in attending meetings and after a period of 6mos-1year they may be 'reinstated.'

Thats about all I can come up with off the top of my head, any other specific questions on their beliefs just ask...
    how do you know all this if you dont mind me asking,also as a religion what do you in your opinion think of it

suprman09 is offline Associate Member
    Sometimes I freak out when I think about this stuff, but I know I will never die so I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by suprman09
    Sometimes I freak out when I think about this stuff, but I know I will never die so I don't care.
    you know you will never die? want to explain that?

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by Z12 View Post
    Absolutely right Tock. Religious people seem to think that we are not animals, that humans are "special." I don't buy this. Yes, humans are smarter than animals, at least in some ways, but IMHO sound science and simple observation seem to prove that we are more similar to "simple" animals than we are dissimilar. And don't forget..... humans are the only species that is stupid enough to be in the process of destroying ourselves and all that surrounds around us.
    thats greed.....not stupidity

big difference

goose is offline Banned

sorel_C is offline Member
    Look at his user name.... BTW intresting points some ppl are bringing up here, i personally dont think it too much, kinda gives me a head ach, but i defitnaly leans towards the side of, once i see it, ill belive it,, not too say i havt expericened miracles or whatever you would like to call them,, just not enough proof as of yet

I have a couple things to say

-I am not a big fan of organized religion firstly.......it might have some use though

-I like to take a rational approach.........I think, imo opinion, any rational person has to accept that its a 50/50 shot......agnostic.......we have no way of truly knowing whether or not their is a god, his existance or non existance is of equal probability.

-somebody made a comparison with humans to animals.....and I disagreed.....we are alot different......one huge huge difference, is that we can think about existance and think about what happens when we die.....we can hypothesize about the conepts of afterlife as well as siezing to exist......Now I think that is a pretty cruel thing for nature to do to humans if you ask me, if their is no after life.....this is the big difference between humans and animals.......the fact that I can ponder after life, and existance, makes me lean toward believing in a God. Here is something I learned by descartes

I am imperfect
    I have the concept of perfection
    I could not have learned the concept of perfection from something imperfect
    God is the only perfect being
    I must have learned the concept of perfection from God
    therefor, God must exist

Now that is kind of out there, but it really does make me think....the main argument against it is.....do we really ahve the concept of perfection?

-I think that historians agree that Jesus existed, died on the cross, was moved to a tomb, which was gaurded by roman soldiers, and on sunday, despite being gaurded by romans, the body was gone.......now how the hell do you explain that....and dont nobody try because i will not believe your explanation. He died on the cross, so people 2000 years later could have something to believe in........

then you have saints.....at times, they were given the choice to either die viciously, or deny their faith.....NOw, thats a goddamn strong message if you aks me......and if you ask me, they were afraid of something. Their beliefs were so strong, that they had the courage and bravery to go through the unimaginable.....

-then you have ghosts.........which i used to think was bullshit, until I, and a family member had experiences......and I am completely rational in my approach to this stuff

the main thing here......to me.........is that christ and sants, make the idea of God a rational one

also, its my belief, that God, is the simplest explanation for creation.....

TexSavant is offline Associate Member
    Also....
    I mean really, their religion is based off a quite literal interpretation of the bible. Everything I have just stated can be cited by scripture. It's really hard for anyone to refute most of their beliefs, as they are all stated in black&white in the bible.
    You act as if the bible WASN'T in and of itself a collection of texts from different authors, or as if it it were all "handed down" in one piece. It was VOTED on by the nascent organization that would become the Catholic Church before breaking into ever smaller denominations.

In hebrew, Yaweh is the name of God... have you ever asked God his name, or since God is a title, have you ever spoken to the creator of the universe (actually, universe[s]) to ask him what his name is? If a Jehovah's Witness comes to my door I will tell him that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster in Four Courses. If you question the existence, authority, or power of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, He will boil you in a pot of Marinara sauce for all eternity (but he loves you). Only by believing in the FSM can you reach Pasta Paradise where you can eat all the pasta you want and never get fat, oh and you get 72 Italian babes with perpetually renewed virginity (but only if you blow yourself up in the name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster while killing the LOW-CARB INFIDELS.) If you're kinda-in-between, He might send you to Pasta Purgatory, where you must swim in an ocean of rancid alfredo sauce until 'purified'. Then you can go to Paradise (minus the 72 Italian Babes) HOW COULD ALL OF THIS BE POSSIBLE YOU SAY.....HOW COULD PASTA EXIST BEFORE THE UNIVERSE...simple really...IT'S A MYSTERY!!!

edit in last post........ about saints

if they were nutzo's, they wouldnt be the only group in history to have died for their beliefs, even if their beliefs were bogus...ie purple koolaide.....

but i think a martyr is a little bit of a tougher thing than a silent suicidal death....and I think the situations is different enough, to hold the saints up higher

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    I belive Yahweh in greek translates to Jehovah as noted above

Dying for a belief does not make it valid. Nor is it the slightest bit of proof therof, or else Mohammed Atta and his 18 fellow hijackers proved Islam correct by slamming into buildings at 500 mph.

But then Jim Jones and David Koresh are right too, and what about the atheist Rosenbergs...Timothy McVeigh.and Buddhist monks who light themselves on fire....a friend of mine who ate mushrooms... and peyote and commited suicide two days later because the world wasn't "REAL"...lots of people die for their beliefs and that is not evidence of their correctness...

As for God being the simplest explanation, it actually is tied with the "scientific" explanations (ie the Big Bang, M-theory [very strange stuff about membranes touching each other and creating new universes, and theres an infinite number])

I AGREE with you that the KEY difference between humans and OTHER ANIMALS is our ability to reason. REASON is the best evidence that we are made in the image of God. Reason is the only way we can understand his creation. I AGREE that the universal desire amongst sentient beings can be taken - in some ethereal way- as evidence of a Creator. Its when you start arguing that God is ALL-POWERFUL and ALL-LOVING and ALL-KNOWING that you run into problems, because that requires a perfect world (see the Riddle of Epicurus)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan2 View Post
    I belive Yahweh in greek translates to Jehovah as noted above
    Jehovah, or rather IEHOVAH, is how the Latin speaking romans transliterated and pronounced "Yahweh". Its a transliteration, not a translation. Like taking the arabic name spelled "Meem-Waw-Haa-Meem-Alif-Daal" and writing it Muhammad, or Mohammed, etc

thetank is offline Anabolic Member
    ile copy and paste my post from the last religion thread...
    organized religion is ridiculous to me...i think alot of it goes against the very idea faith and freedom i think any god would want us to have. proof jesus exsisted? youre relying on a source...proof that he didnt, your countering that source with another one..the truth is no one has any idea of where we came from or what we are here for backed with real tangible explenation..but i think its alot easier to justify exsistance/your reason for being alive by sticking to someone elses story. being a catholic(or whatever)..confessing your sins and layin on heavens clowds when you die makes the world a lot more simple then being alone and having your own theories, your own faith, and your own ideas IMO... religion never felt right to me..i went to a catholic school but refused to be confirmed when i was 13.. who is anyone to tell me whats gospel and explain every piece of of he world and space that exsists around it? what makes the bible any more important or divine than what everyone believed before, or after its time? hell you can look a mere 300 years ago and find people being executed for witchcraft!! ****in witchcraft?!!?! and im suppose to believe people thousands of years ago had their story straight?!?!?!?!? and live by thier suggestion?? come on..
    but thats not to say im an athiest with no faith...i have an unshakable belief in god, and divine creation..i just dont think anyone should be told how, or why to believe in something that profound.

suprman09 is offline Associate Member
    I was kidding, but I do believe in God(Catholic). Also whoever brought up that he created us had a great point. For all of you that don't believe in an organized religion how do you think we were created?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information