l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger

History Buffs help needed

Pre civil war, what were the different attitudes regarding gender and sex roles vs the North and South?

Z-Ro is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by l2elapse View Post
    Pre civil war, what were the different attitudes regarding gender and sex roles vs the North and South?
    I would take a stab here by say: most definatley.

I am just coming with this off the top of my head but I am sure a dramatic event such as the civil war would cause a shake up in gender roles.

Lets take the south, before the Civil War you had a society that predominatley used cheap labor or slaves to run the economy. I'm sure women did not do a majority of the work unless she was a slave, share-cropper, tenant, etc...black females had no choice and poor white females had to work as well.

No after the Civil War ended and slaves were freed. Your labor is gone and I am pretty positive many women had to get out and work the fields and cook. Things they were not used to doing, this would have forced them to be around/do masculine activities. While their husbands were gone, who do you think tended to the household or stead.

In the North, not so sure. I would say more women had to develop themselves to be the women and man of the house. Which would thrust into a society that was back then dominated mostly by males.

I am not positive but I can look later on, just my instant take on the question.

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    i would guess that since the north was more liberal, they were more pro womens rights than the south

Thread Information