Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member

Are Nuclear weapons the reason why we haven't had WW3?

There was a debate I was listening to on Radio 4 today about whether Nuclear weapons are a necessary evil. One side was arguing what is the point in having a weapon you cannot use while another said it was because of nuclear weapons that the planet hasnt seen a war on the scale of WW2, while others were saying Nuclear weapons are merely an eventuality waiting to be fired in a Doomsday Sceanario.

So it got me wondering, ARE nuclear weapons needed? Would the world be the same way today if no one had a stockpile?

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    i think nukes are mostly for intimidation. Nuclear warfare would most likely result in the end of humanity, and that isnt exactly good for war profiteerers

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    It is pointless eradicating your enemy if they will, in turn, eradicate you. That is the principle behind NUKES. So yes they have kept the world safer since WW2.

The only problem will be if some rogue state, who doesn't care, gets hold of them!!

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulzane View Post
    It is pointless eradicating your enemy if they will, in turn, eradicate you. That is the principle behind NUKES. So yes they have kept the world safer since WW2.

The only problem will be if some rogue state, who doesn't care, gets hold of them!!
    Or if some mentally unstable person is put in a position of power that allows them to fire one off...And thats my fear...but I believe that Nuclear weapons are a huge contributing factor in why wars of the scale off WWII have been averted for so long...

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    Im not too worried about the current nuclear countries. Its freaks like Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who want to hasten the return of the Messiah by creating mass chaos and destruction that Im worried about. If he or some other tard like him gets a nuke, its going to be nasty. Isreal and the US will be the first targets.... This, I may argue, could be how this world will be introduced to a nuclear war or WWIII.

crazycrab is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johny-too-small View Post
    Im not too worried about the current nuclear countries. Its freaks like Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who want to hasten the return of the Messiah by creating mass chaos and destruction that Im worried about. If he or some other tard like him gets a nuke, its going to be nasty. Isreal and the US will be the first targets.... This, I may argue, could be how this world will be introduced to a nuclear war or WWIII.

AGREED!!

Waiting for the next wack job to get NUCS. Then we all have something to worry about.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    We almost destroyed the entire planet several times during the cold war. It is human error that will cause a mistake to happen, and it is not really a question of IF but WHEN. The odds of having some sort of mistake/accident happen close to where the button gets pushed, get greater and greater with each passing day, as time goes on. The problem is that the mistake cant be made, and then you learn from it. If the mistake is made, thats it, its done, the world is gone.

J*U*icEd is offline Anabolic Member
    everybody say bye bye if iraqi extremist or bin laden get into the process of concentrating nuclear material....

Quote Originally Posted by J*U*icEd
    everybody say bye bye if iraqi extremist or bin laden get into the process of concentrating nuclear material....
    i highly doubt it would be an iraqi extremist, more likely iranian or russian or saudi or the like

cookiemonstR is offline Associate Member
    Thats a good question, between responsible countries, in the current state of affairs yes, likely it is, but as the ability to acquire technology grows there will be a lot of interest in renegade states to get this technology to affirm themselves as a world power and for security, eventually imo this could be the cause of ww3, but well see.

On another note, i dont even think nuclear weapons are needed to destroy entire states with advanced bombs that are out there now.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonstR View Post
    Thats a good question, between responsible countries, in the current state of affairs yes, likely it is, but as the ability to acquire technology grows there will be a lot of interest in renegade states to get this technology to affirm themselves as a world power and for security, eventually imo this could be the cause of ww3, but well see.

On another note, i dont even think nuclear weapons are needed to destroy entire states with advanced bombs that are out there now.
    Nothing can destroy as much area as a nuclear weapon... you'd have to drop a whole shiteload of heavy heavy bombs to come anywhere close to a single nuke.

Either way, I'm stocking up on guns and ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    Nothing can destroy as much area as a nuclear weapon... you'd have to drop a whole shiteload of heavy heavy bombs to come anywhere close to a single nuke.

Either way, I'm stocking up on guns and ammo.
    and thats without even knowing how large modern day nukes are getting.

i dont think anything can strike fear into the hearts of men more than that mushroom cloud and raining ash

J*U*icEd is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorphic View Post
    and thats without even knowing how large modern day nukes are getting.

i dont think anything can strike fear into the hearts of men more than that mushroom cloud and raining ash
    i saw a special on HBO called "white" or "white light", and it was an interview with all the survivors in hiroshima and nagasaki... with detailed pictures and video of the aftermath... i will forever be scarred!!

Quote Originally Posted by J*UicEd
    i saw a special on HBO called "white" or "white light", and it was an interview with all the survivors in hiroshima and nagasaki... with detailed pictures and video of the aftermath... i will forever be scarred!!
    I'm pretty sure if i saw a nuke go off and destroy basically everything around me i would be a little twitterpated. It would be pretty eerie walking around in 'rain' of nuclear fallout. an ominous image indeed

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Not to mention you'd probably die in a short while anyway from radiation

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    The only place to be when a NUKE goes off is close to the centre where you will know nothing .... to be a fair distance away and die a lingering death in the aftermath days, weeks or months later through radiation poisoning is my greatest fear!!

brajosm is offline Banned
    bro who the f*ck who's why we havent had WW3, no one can anser that question its all opinion. Just like what im about to write, we need to stop playing world police not saying we should isolate just concetrate on problems we have here at home.

Thread Information