Midwest Viking is offline Junior Member

Total gym opinions

Was wanting to know what everyone thinks of the total gym. Not the crappy commercial or shitty ads, just the machine itself.
    I work at dicks sporting goods, and was offered one for a good price. I have now been using it for a couple of months, and I am very happy with the results. I mean, It is definitely not for power lifters, but if you already have gym experience,and know how to target the muscles, I think it is great. What got me hooked was when I was playing around with the floor model at work, and did some tricep pressdowns, no shit, it hit the triceps better than 95% of anything I have ever done.

Anyone else have experience or opinions?

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    We had them at my job to sell. They were crap. I would talk people out of them. I know a few physical therapy places use them just for doing some limited leg work.

more specifically, what was "crap" about them? I mean, I used to talk nothing but shit about them, and tell everyone how shitty they were. etc etc
    But it wasn't until I started using one on a regular basis that I noticed a good workout is very attainable.
    What is it that you didn't like about them?

Ajc330 is offline Senior Member
    free weights all the way

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Viking View Post
    Was wanting to know what everyone thinks of the total gym. Not the crappy commercial or shitty ads, just the machine itself.
    I work at dicks sporting goods, and was offered one for a good price. I have now been using it for a couple of months, and I am very happy with the results. I mean, It is definitely not for power lifters, but if you already have gym experience,and know how to target the muscles, I think it is great. What got me hooked was when I was playing around with the floor model at work, and did some tricep pressdowns, no shit, it hit the triceps better than 95% of anything I have ever done.

Anyone else have experience or opinions?
    If you belong to a gym there is no need for one.

well, I am not saying it can really replace a gym, or anything like that. I am not even comparing it to other ways of working out, I guess my main thing is, I have seen VERY good results on mine. I have looked online and seen other people who have used it and are built pretty well (not shitty "before and after photo's", actual people with home videos) and I am impressed with it. But I figured since this is the place where any kind of lifting happens, I should ask for opinions in here.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Viking View Post
    well, I am not saying it can really replace a gym, or anything like that. I am not even comparing it to other ways of working out, I guess my main thing is, I have seen VERY good results on mine. I have looked online and seen other people who have used it and are built pretty well (not shitty "before and after photo's", actual people with home videos) and I am impressed with it. But I figured since this is the place where any kind of lifting happens, I should ask for opinions in here.
    The models you see who do those commercials did not get their bodies from that machine.

Nothing beats a gym hands down.

thats what I am trying to say, I am not refering to the models in the commercials, I know they did not use them, I am talking about every day people I have seen online with real home videos of them using them.
    And not to sound like a broken record, but as I said, I am not comparing it to anything, especially not a gym.

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    i wouldnt bother, with the known benefits of free weights there is no reason to use anything else

FREAK is offline BLACK MARKET BUILT
    exactly

i do agree there, free weights will never let you down. I do own a total gym, but i also own a tricep bar, a curl bar, a texas power bar (55 lbs olympic bar with 1500 lbs capacity), dumbbell handles, a incline/flat/decline bench, a free standing bench, 800 lbs of weight, etc etc etc
    the only problem is, right now i do not have a place to set up all my free weights, so the total gym comes in handy as a space saver.

u wont get forearms like these on a total gym bro

Quote Originally Posted by ramblin freak View Post
    u wont get forearms like these on a total gym bro
    just jokin dude if thats what u gotta do then buy it!I just personaly think there a waste

well, I am open to every opinion. I mean, i have seen good results from mine, but, I have not been using it for a long period of time, maybe the long term will let me down. Just curious on everyone's thoughts

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    I hate they way they feel/ But the reason i say they suck is they are very poorly made. Crappy quality construction

Thread Information