Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    jaydub is offline Senior Member
    the concept of sin is directly connected to the bible. thats where the notion of sin originated.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    well I am not too big on this thread, but one thing i'd like everyone who says that they don't believe in sin is to answer me something.... we can start from here or go another angle.

In general does anyone here think it is ok to go up to your mother and stab or shoot her to death right now??? yes or no? and why?? If you believe this is wrong where do you get this premise from?

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    According to the new list of deadly sins they are.

Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536 View Post
    According to the new list of deadly sins they are.
    yes, I do think that people that try and put a list together are silly and narrow minded... but I also have a point to prove that things are a little more deep and not too simple....and I also believe that there are rights and wrongs in life...

xero is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinred View Post
    w

In general does anyone here think it is ok to go up to your mother and stab or shoot her to death right now??? yes or no? and why?? If you believe this is wrong where do you get this premise from?
    No I obviously would not feel ok about doing that. In my opinion it is wrong. But i still dont know whether this is a "sin".

Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    No I obviously would not feel ok about doing that. In my opinion it is wrong. But i still dont know whether this is a "sin".
    chose a different word then, but in general it means the same difference...

How about that one dude in south america that molested and murdered like 200+ 6-11 year old girls.... is that wrong? he claims he was done wrong when he was younger so that was his justification.... anyone want to agree with this dudes logic?

chose a different word then, but in general it means the same difference...

How about that one dude in south america that molested and murdered like 200+ 6-11 year old girls.... is that wrong? he claims he was done wrong when he was younger so that was his justification.... anyone want to agree with this dudes logic?
    In my judgment this behavior is wrong, but again, i still dont know whether it can be defined as a "sin". The word sin implies some form of supreme judgment as to what is precisely right and wrong. Who knows exactly what is right and wrong? Some people believe they know, but it is still just opinion.

For example, many thousands of innocent citizens have been killed in iraq by the US military. Most not intentionally, collateral damage, but yet these people are dead. Is that a sin? If you are an iraqi that had a family member killed by a stray US bomb you may be inclined to see the US as an evil "sinful" nation, but a US citizen or the US pilot that dropped the bomb you dont feel you have committed a sin as you believe in the cause.

Who is right? It is relative to your subjective point of view. So there can be no definitative on what is a "sin".

BB's Dad is offline New Member
    Xero : The problem with your statement is that it is built on a false premise. You are assuming that there is sin with out the Jewish / Christian world view which is false. The word sin is defined by the word of God. Sin will never be interrupted by Societies norms or laws. Mans law can reflect Gods Laws but it can not substitute Sin and create it own. It is not in mans power.

In my judgment this behavior is wrong, but again, i still dont know whether it can be defined as a "sin". The word sin implies some form of supreme judgment as to what is precisely right and wrong. Who knows exactly what is right and wrong? Some people believe they know, but it is still just opinion.

For example, many thousands of innocent citizens have been killed in iraq by the US military. Most not intentionally, collateral damage, but yet these people are dead. Is that a sin? If you are an iraqi that had a family member killed by a stray US bomb you may be inclined to see the US as an evil "sinful" nation, but a US citizen or the US pilot that dropped the bomb you dont feel you have committed a sin as you believe in the cause.

Who is right? It is relative to your subjective point of view. So there can be no definitative on what is a "sin".
    well, if a person was to look at governments as the judge then it would dep e end on what side you were on, but to me both are wrong... so to me both would be a sin if we were to going to look at it in that angle of the "supreme universal standard".... I think the problem is many think that just because the gov says this is wrong or right then that is a universal truth or standard and then it falls into what people think of as sins, hence the list comes out... but to go back on what I was trying to say earlier...

Both you and I agree that the person's behavior above is "wrong"...then you go on to say but I don't know if that is a sin or not?... what i am saying is what is your premise for a wrong standards of behavior and where did it derive from? why would this situation be any different then lions eating an innocent gazelle in a savage manner? so if you believe that it is wrong but uncertain as to whether or not it is a sin then, basically I could make a case that you know it is a sin, but either need to learn more about the english definition of sin, or you can call it something different...yet we still agree together (above) that we meant the same... (mainly that it is flat out wrong)

What i am getting at is that this "universal standard" or as others call it "sin" is written in our morals or concious.... and we make decisions in life that affect this in one way or another and that you can't just say I don't believe in sin therefore it does not exist.... you see, i think it exists whether one wants to say so or not and that is what I was trying to get at.
    Last edited by rockinred; 03-13-2008 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BB's Dad View Post
    Xero : The problem with your statement is that it is built on a false premise. You are assuming that there is sin with out the Jewish / Christian world view which is false. The word sin is defined by the word of God. Sin will never be interrupted by Societies norms or laws. Mans law can reflect Gods Laws but it can not substitute Sin and create it own. It is not in mans power.
    Well that sure was easier then my long post with straight forward anwer...

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    You'd be hard pressed to find any religion or any atheist society (Communist China, Soviet Union, etc) that approves of such a thing. It's just common sense -- there's no need for any divine being to tell humans that it's not a good idea to go around killing people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock View Post
    You'd be hard pressed to find any religion or any atheist society (Communist China, Soviet Union, etc) that approves of such a thing. It's just common sense -- there's no need for any divine being to tell humans that it's not a good idea to go around killing people.
    that's it? commom sense, huh? simple enough i guess.

Tock history proves your statement false.

I think you misunderstand me.

My point is that there can be no such thing as "sin". Societies define do's and dont's that suite the culture of that society. Religions define do's and dont's supposedly at the will of some imaginary higher power, a god.

Both are subjective views, not definitive. We know that do's and dont's can change from from one society or religious doctrine to another to suite the needs and views of that collective.

As per my example, its not okay in US society to kill fellow students at school, but it is ok to drop bombs on Iraq and kill a few thousand innocent civilians. One is a terrible sin, the other not a sin.
    But yet both groups of victims are equally dead, killed by another human in act of aggression.

...What i am getting at is that this "universal standard" or as others call it "sin" is written in our morals or concious.... and we make decisions in life that affect this in one way or another and that you can't just say I don't believe in sin therefore it does not exist.... you see, i think it exists whether one wants to say so or not and that is what I was trying to get at.
    You see i actually agree with your point of view. I seem to have an internal sense of feeling for knowing that certain fundemental actions are "wrong", like killing and theft. But the problem with recognizing or accepting the concept of "sin" is that there is no single authorative truth as to what is inclusive as a sin as we as humans are making the judgment calls, all from the different subjective perspectives of our collective grouping (religions, cultures, countries,...whatever).

So in order to accept the concept of "sin" you have to adopt the view/rules of one of particular collective view (e.g. christianity) in the belief that this view is the one true view on what is and is not a sin...or you go with your "inner" sense of what is right or wrong.

Both approaches have a chance of being wrong.

You see i actually agree with your point of view. I seem to have an internal sense of feeling for knowing that certain fundemental actions are "wrong", like killing and theft. But the problem with recognizing or accepting the concept of "sin" is that there is no single authorative truth as to what is inclusive as a sin as we as humans are making the judgment calls, all from the different subjective perspectives of our collective grouping (religions, cultures, countries,...whatever).

So in order to accept the concept of "sin" you have to adopt the view/rules of one of particular collective view (e.g. christianity) in the belief that this view is the one true view on what is and is not a sin...or you go with your "inner" sense of what is right or wrong.

Both approaches have a chance of being wrong.
    Ok you just have a problem with God. Just like Adam and Eve you want to be your own God. This concept has been around from the start of man kind nothing new. I thought you had a Original thought but you have Original sin.

boots555 is offline Member
    Yes they are a sin if you live in America. The bible tells us to obey the laws of the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock View Post

Hey tock I have missed you.

Quote Originally Posted by boots555 View Post
    Yes they are a sin if you live in America. The bible tells us to obey the laws of the land.
    Where?

Ok you just have a problem with God. Just like Adam and Eve you want to be your own God. This concept has been around from the start of man kind nothing new. I thought you had a Original thought but you have Original sin.
    This is another example of subjective opinion on sin. No way is definitively right or wrong. Just mortal human opinion.

Romans 13:1-7 states: "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right
    and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor."

http://www.gotquestions.org/laws-land.html

Quote Originally Posted by boots555 View Post
    Romans 13:1-7 states: "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right
    and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor."

http://www.gotquestions.org/laws-land.html
    Like I said, this doesnt help define what is ior is not a sin. This is just another collective opinion from one corner of human society. Not definitive.

a lifeless plague is offline Junior Member
    gluttony- excess eating or drinking, is one of the seven deadly sins.. SO, if you ARE using AAS and arent eating a lot thn you are contradicting your actions, and would be just like 50% of the kids in the gym, with their blowouts, running gear and eating a measly two meals a day. so assuming you use AAS, its safe to assume you DO or SHOULD be stuffing your face...which is a sin in itself. cant live life worrying about sinning. it doesnt exist anyway...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cslade305 View Post
    I'm not saying it is a sin, but I'm sure some people or organized relion might think differently. While I have a faith, I choose to believe, that despite they are illegal in a lot of places (mans choice not God's) that abuse of them would be a sin. I'm just curious what others with or without a faith think on the subject.

not just laws on steroids , but IMO, religion is a man made "law" too!

Ajc330 is offline Senior Member
    i would think to myself "did i really get this big on my own, no a drug aided me" that would bother me before talking about sins

m8intl is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    to sins and religion !!!!
    Amen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information