Nstart is offline Associate Member

How do you handle interviews at a new organization?

Today I went for an interview at a high profile insurance agency in the city. The guy interviewing me saw I lifted weights and asked me about it. I initially told him I lift weights and I am overweight at the moment and he replied with something like "you have such large shoulders and such a chiseled face, you are by no means overweight". Then I tried to stick my gut out, but that didn't really work.

He then brought me over to meet a few of the employees and we talked for about 15 minutes. They too commented on how muscular I looked and asked me if I used to play football. One jolly older guy commented with something along the lines of "I've been at this computer desk for about 5 years now, and the only thing that gets bigger is my butt and stomach. You don't get muscles like that working on computers all day". I told them I have a strict diet, I lift weights 5 days a week and have been doing so since high school. They didn't really buy that.

I was starting to get a little nervous.

Has anyone had a similar problem like this?
    Do you think they will test me for steroids ?

BIGDOGIRISH is offline Associate Member
    I think its shows your not bone idle lazy like the guy with the fat ass.
    Are you sure the interviewer was'nt in admiration of you??

Maybe he figures you'll be a hard worker if you can be dedicated enough to keep strict diet and lift weights continually??

Nstart is offline Associate Member
    I don't think he was admiring me. He was commenting on my size and it being abnormal. He almost spun it in a negative way.

I told him I used to be overweight and since I lost weight, I wanted to continue my healthy lifestyle. He then proceeded to tell me that there is a big difference between being healthy and having an obsession with weight lifting. I'm fairly certain the interviewer looked at it negatively but the others might have been in admiration?

WEBB is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    did he ask for your phone number after he paraded you around like hos new boy toy...hahhaha j/k man...i dont think they were searchin for steroids or shit, just envious of your hard work cause not very many people can do it...take it as a compliment and dont read to much into it...

BIGDOGIRISH is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstart View Post
    I don't think he was admiring me. He was commenting on my size and it being abnormal. He almost spun it in a negative way.

I told him I used to be overweight and since I lost weight, I wanted to continue my healthy lifestyle. He then proceeded to tell me that there is a big difference between being healthy and having an obsession with weight lifting. I'm fairly certain the interviewer looked at it negatively but the others might have been in admiration?
    Did lard ass say this or the interviewer??

You should have said "Theres a big difference between being unhealthy and obese but that has'nt stopped you!!!"

Cheecky shlt wouldnt have been so smug then.

wilson9d is offline Senior Member
    This is in your head man. There is no way the guy suspected anything until you got nervous. the way to handle this from now on is to practice not acting guilty.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    I always like to close an interview with a firm handshake, while saying something like "this is a really nice place you have here, it would be a shame if something happened to it..." It lets them know you are passionate about the position.

^^Flawless

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    They're just jealous you're not a fat slob.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I always like to close an interview with a firm handshake, while saying something like "this is a really nice place you have here, it would be a shame if something happened to it..." It lets them know you are passionate about the position.
    LOL

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstart View Post
    He then brought me over to meet a few of the employees and we talked for about 15 minutes.
    He probably wouldn't have wasted 15 minutes introducing you around if he wasn't actually considering hiring you.

Do you think they will test me for steroids?
    Probably not. It costs too much, and all they really are concerned about is how well you will be able to do your job.
    Just blend in with your co-workers, and you'll be fine.

DKU
    DKU is offline Associate Member
    They can't test you for steroids unless they test everyone in the company - it would be discrimination.

feanixco is offline Banned

Classic

im83931 is offline Senior Member
    The last company I ws with trained us in interviewing techniques. Sometimes if you are concerned about a persons ability to work with a team or to be a trouble maker, we were taught to try and push someone, and see what kind of reaction they would give. Maybe he was doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by im83931 View Post
    The last company I ws with trained us in interviewing techniques. Sometimes if you are concerned about a persons ability to work with a team or to be a trouble maker, we were taught to try and push someone, and see what kind of reaction they would give. Maybe he was doing that.
    Exactly, the only reason he pushed is because is saw you get uncomfortable. Stop acting guilty.

PEWN is offline AR Addict
    Blog Entries
    you should have flipped out and punched him... or kissed him

im83931 is offline Senior Member
    or punched him and then kissed him.

Thread Information