Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buyin a bike

legobricks is offline Retired AR Monitor

Buyin a bike

Make a long story short im buying a bike in the next couple of days due to my car taking a crap.

Currently looking at a yamaha R6 2006. BLue and black wiht 1100 miles on it. They're asking 7999 for it and ive chewed them down to 7000. Now im looking for insurance, i just got a quote thru Geico and they want to charge me 4300.00 a year!!! WTF?? Its almost like getting my car insured thru american family which wanted to charge me 460.00 a month. So anyone from AZ have bike insurance or does anyone know which insurance company is relatively cheap?

feanixco is offline Banned
    Holy crap....i didn't know motorcycle insurance was that much! Whats your driving record like?
    I was thinking about getting a bike too but I haven't looked into ins just yet.

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    bike insurance is always really expensive no matter what, its a high risk activity

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    I have liability and theft on both of my R1's through Progressive and it's $720 a year for both.

jchopper1 is offline Banned
    try progressive

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorphic View Post
    bike insurance is always really expensive no matter what, its a high risk activity
    Not true. That's mainly only for sports bikes because of the power, potential risks, and reputation they hold. If you get something like a supermoto (retardedly fun bike), enduro, and maybe even a cruiser you'll pay a lot less. I'm talkin like $150 for the year, which is what I payed for a KTM 625 SMC and I had more fun on that bike than I did any bike.

I love rockets.

YEah i only went thru geico but imma try progressive and other places. IT all depends on who your going thru too cus like i said, sometimes different companies will be cheap and other will be out the ass expensive. But Blome hit the nail on the head for why they are so expensive for insurance. Im going to have a loan on it tho so im going to need some coverage, not just liability.

Legobricks, have you ever owned a bike before this one?

Yeah I had a GSXR600. Loved it, wish i never would have sold it.

Other then that ive had 125cc dirtbikes, 250cc enduros, and mini-bikes all my life.

Haro3 is offline Anabolic Member
    pay cash dont take out a loan then get liability p.s. if this is your first bike an R6 is to much bike for a newbie, and 2 i would find something older cuz its pretty inevitable you will drop your first bike. its sad and unfortunate but it happens thats why i stick to my ugly ass bikes cuz they're cheap and still run with the pretty ones

Is there any twisties in Phoenix? It seems like there wouldn't be.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    insurance try rider and state farm.

2006 r6 7k to much money a new 08 is only like 9k

I have full covage on my 1000 and pay $325 a year with state farm

Quote Originally Posted by Haro3 View Post
    pay cash dont take out a loan then get liability p.s. if this is your first bike an R6 is to much bike for a newbie, and 2 i would find something older cuz its pretty inevitable you will drop your first bike. its sad and unfortunate but it happens thats why i stick to my ugly ass bikes cuz they're cheap and still run with the pretty ones
    Ohhh, I missed the part that said you were takin out a loan. Haro's right, buy outright if you can and just get liability. You save big time in the long run.

BigTurk is offline Junior Member
    i have liability on 06 cbr1000rr; i pay $270 per year in NJ. And NJ is the highest rate of insurance out of any state

Quote Originally Posted by Blome View Post
    Not true. That's mainly only for sports bikes because of the power, potential risks, and reputation they hold. If you get something like a supermoto (retardedly fun bike), enduro, and maybe even a cruiser you'll pay a lot less. I'm talkin like $150 for the year, which is what I payed for a KTM 625 SMC and I had more fun on that bike than I did any bike.
    im more referring to someone in my own demographic (21 years old, new rider), insurance can be like 2000 bucks for 3 months here for someone like me with a new bike.

^^I'm only 24 and my first bike was when I was 21. Than again you are in Canada so it could be different.

Yeah i wish i could just buy outright.....Ran into troubles with the car so therefore i have to sacrifice that and get the bike cuz its cheaper. I know ive gone thru 1000 different possabilities b4 i came to this conclusion. I just got a quote from progressive and thats at 187 a month which aint bad. Ill try ride and state farm, Im goin in to talk price tommorow GSXXR, what u think i should offer them? end of the year 06 with 1100 miles on it seemed reasonable for $7k but you have been round that stuff for longer. I plan on paying this thing off in a year guys so insurance wouldnt be for that long. And ive been riding sport bikes for a few years so not TOOO worried bout dumping it......yet .

Im also aware of the liability thing, my GSXR600 i bought outright and the liability on that was like 500.00 a year for me, i shopped around and that seemed to be the cheapest.

Quote Originally Posted by Blome View Post
    ^^I'm only 24 and my first bike was when I was 21. Than again you are in Canada so it could be different.
    BC has some ridiculous new drivers laws. The graduated licensing system is basically designed to bend you over. Since BC ony has one insurance company (ICBC), you have no options when it comes to choosing rates etc.

J*U*icEd is offline Anabolic Member
    wow bro ur getting ripped a new one... i pay 900 bucks a year for my 05 R6 raven edition... with colision, theft and liability.... by the way you want my bike its for sale, im getting a brand new R1 in a week...

Damn Esurance was like 4000 a year as well. YIKES!

Quote Originally Posted by J*U*icEd View Post
    wow bro ur getting ripped a new one... i pay 900 bucks a year for my 05 R6 raven edition... with colision, theft and liability.... by the way you want my bike its for sale, im getting a brand new R1 in a week...
    How much? Details please.

D-Unit 39 is offline Member
    I just moved from AZ last year... I had my bike insured with Progressive and it was super cheap; although I had liability only.

I figured why pay for collision & theft when 2 years of premiums for that would basically pay for the bike itself!

4K miles for 5500

okapovic pipe... tinted wind screen...

Haro3 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J*U*icEd View Post
    okapovic pipe... tinted wind screen...
    akrapovic? lol

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    I only pay 250 bucks a year, liability only though on my aprilia thru progressive
    I asked geico for a quote first and they just said no. I have them for auto insurance and I have a lot of speeding tickets. I've been to driver retraining a few times. No claims though so what's their problem?

Insurance companies are evil, my friend put full coverage on his 999 duc and totaled it the first day of riding last year, bringing down a 70 mile per hour wheelie too hard. They were like "that coverage isn't active for 24 hours."

MotoXracer is offline Associate Member
    Geico and progressive are waaay expensive. Check out State Farm. I got a quote from Geico/Progressive for about $2500, then checked with State Farm and it was $700 for the year.

jchopper1 is offline Banned
    state farm was more for me

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    I have an 08 harley insured for $83 a month. 24 years old and an at fault accident on my record.

Reprisal 6 is offline Associate Member
    That price is high for the r6. But if you are financing from a dealer its not the worst I've heard. Prices start going up around spring time though. The perfect time to buy was a couple months ago. That being said, I just picked up a 2006 600rr with some very minor cosmetic damage for under $5,000 with under 100 miles on it. And there were better deals out there too but the low miles sold me.
    Some kid bought it, dumped it, now I have a new track bike

I go through state farm for my bike insurance. I have a new r1 that I pay $33 dollars a month for, and I have 1 ticket on my record.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    gotta say...i hope you aren't a new rider with the bike you wanted...if so it's a little to much bike for a new rider. Crotch rockets are the reason insurance is so high...lil kids doing wheelies and sh*t racing ont he street cutting in and out of traffic...just being kids

james21 is offline Anabolic Member
    r6 too much for a new rider ? what ? itll be slow to a new rider in a week

Fordfan01 is offline Member
    my first bike was a 2005 r6...bought it last sept. and i LOVE IT!!! U should look around for some better insurance..i pay 500 a year for full coverage.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    Quote Originally Posted by james21 View Post
    r6 too much for a new rider ? what ? itll be slow to a new rider in a week
    He said he had a bike before, and no an r6 is not slow they put out big horsepower. Short shift it and a beginner can handle it no prob...I started on a liter bike. The only additional danger I can see with a bigger engine is you might loop it, they all get up to speed plenty fast.

james21 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    He said he had a bike before, and no an r6 is not slow they put out big horsepower. Short shift it and a beginner can handle it no prob...I started on a liter bike. The only additional danger I can see with a bigger engine is you might loop it, they all get up to speed plenty fast.
    i was responding to zimmy's post above mine. ive riden all the major 600's and liters I thought the R6 was rather slow when i rode it. along with the honda 600rr's maybe its because i like the torque you get off the liter bikes. all the 600's you can lay on the throttle and not be in any trouble as long as youve riden somethng before. and back to the original post 4k a year for insurance ?!? ive never been quoted that for a bike not even close i dont think i even get that high on a car and my driving record is shot

DKU
    DKU is offline Associate Member
    Another option is to put the insurance in someone else's name, like a parent or wife.

I put mine through my dad's name and my quote of $11k/year went down to $400/year.

K, im still checkin on insurance companies but Im puttin 5000 down on the bike now. I dont have any more so ill have a loan for 2000. which ill pay off in the next couple months.
    And again its not my first bike, only think imma have to getused to is the slipper clutch it has (at least thats what ive been reading). Oh and no twisites in phoenix so id have to drive out towards globe in the mountains OR go to flagstaff.

Reprisal 6 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by legobricks View Post
    K, im still checkin on insurance companies but Im puttin 5000 down on the bike now. I dont have any more so ill have a loan for 2000. which ill pay off in the next couple months.
    And again its not my first bike, only think imma have to getused to is the slipper clutch it has (at least thats what ive been reading). Oh and no twisites in phoenix so id have to drive out towards globe in the mountains OR go to flagstaff.
    The slipper clutch is something you won't notice too often riding around the street except maybe in an emergency stop situation. It comes in useful when slamming down gears and not having enough engine speed to match the ground speed. It will HELP in keeping your rear tire from locking up and skipping but not completely eliminate that problem.
    A 600 is not too slow as someone mentioned. It's all in rider skill. I take my 600 to the race track and pass guys on liter bikes all day long. Even on the straight aways. And I'm not even close to my full potential on it yet. Sure, you might lose a flat out drag race on the freeway to a liter bike, but thats not what these bikes are designed for.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Lego, congratulations!... you can look into motorcycle riders safety course too... a lot of insurance companies will discount insurance if you show that you have taken course.... be safe.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    also, lots of good riding in PHX area.... everywhere... early morning then get out of the heat by heading to Flagstaff..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information