Boost n Juice is offline Associate Member

Can get a descent equipment setup for $500 or should I just join a gym?

Just curious. I have nothing at my house. So I'd need weights and all. Any ideas?

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    no a dumbbell set would cost more then that

NATE0406 is offline Anabolic Member
    well if you can get everything you need to do your workouts for $500 then i would say it worth it. but i dont only go to the gym for the workouts. i like the atmosphere as well.

No One Knows is offline Senior Member
    You wont get much for 500. Maybe a decent bench with a leg developer + a bar and 300lbs of plates.

200byjune is offline Senior Member
    go to the gym. 30 bucks a month. you can go to a gym for over a year with that. go with the gym. u can get a spot and alot more better equipment

inky-e is offline AR's ORIGINAL ANABOLIC OUTLAW~ [RIP-8/20/11]
    My gym is $220 per year or $175 couples.I'm not sure if that applies to same sex couples?

xavier_888888 is offline Senior Member
    Definely just join a gym

Manorexic is offline Associate Member
    join a gym.... 500 bucks will only buy you some piece of sh!t sports authority crap...... youll get tired of it and lose all motivation..... trust me

qualityclrk1 is offline Senior Member
    go to the gym......

200byjune is offline Senior Member
    yup. i got mine when i was in the 8th grade spent 400 dollars on it and all i did was bench and i was and now am pissed i let my mom do it because i feel terible she wasted her money

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    You guys are lucky. Gyms around me run for around $45-70/month with contracts! Of course, I only pay $12/month with no contract, but my gym is a little shit hole and it's the cheapest around.

im83931 is offline Senior Member
    Use the gym. Like was said before, its more than just pushing the weights. Its the atmosphere.

PROTEINSHAKE is offline Protein Power
    the only thing u could get for 500$ is a set of bowflex adjustable dumbells & an adjustable bench. depends what u want & how serious u are.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I've got my setup down in my shop. I spent almost $3k and I've barely got the basics. Used hex dumbells up to 150, about 1,500 lbs. of used Olympic plates, Olympic curl bars and straight bars, a Smith machine (linear bearings) with pulldown/pressdown cable attachment, Power rack and a hip/leg sled, BodySolid incline/decline bench and a semi decent flat bench.
    I still find myself missing the use of Hammer strength machines, pec deck, leg curl, leg extension, etc.
    Personally, i would opt for the gym mebership for a year, find out which equipment you get the most use/results from, then start bargain shopping, and gradually build up your home equipment if you're still inclined to.
    The closest gym is 45 minutes away, so I just have to make do with what I've got.

AG
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    Go to the gym. You see nice looking ladies. Meet new friends and they have all the equiptment.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    my gym memebership has been free for for the last four year. My buddy put me in the computer, he works there. Every time I go I pray my little bar code tag keeps working. I like going to the gym, if it wasn't free I would join rather than work out at home. Better concentration on your workouts, keeps you on a routine, better equipment than home crap, scattered ass walking around, people to talk to, competitive environment. I never see anyone get anything but fatter who works out exclusivly at home, it just takes more dedication, esp. when the couch and tv are right there.

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    I bought a Powertec bench/rack system, some used Olympic free weights, and a pair of Sport Blocks. I LOVE working out at home. I can play the music I like in conjunction with a slideshow of bodybuilding photos, I don't have to put up with the usual gym bullshit, I don't have to commute, etc., etc. But at some point in the future, I will join a gym again.

TheArtist is offline Member
    i find that working out at home gets stale after a while, but then all i have to do is go to the gym for a week or so, then that gets old.... But i've got about 1300 invested in mine, and no dumbells....

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Where do you people like that gyms are 45 mins away, the moon ?!

I could throw a rock in any direction and hit about 2 of them from my place. City life is good.

Zipper is offline Associate Member
    Check out craigslist. Lots of people go gung ho and buy stuff and then it ends up collecting dust cuz they are lazy and then they dump it cheap cuz it ends up taking up room, and they get feeling guilty cuz they keep looking at it and realize how pathetic they really are!

thetank is offline Anabolic Member
    it depends on the person ide say. some people feed off the atmosphere of the gym and like structure of schedule. personally, i spent like 700 bucks, and love working out at home. i dont lose motivation with the TV a room away, i ****in love it. im nursing an injury and not working out too heavily right now, but even when i was i loved it. i have adjustable dumbells, you could fit 100 lbs on them. an olympic bar and around 455 in plates..i made some of my best gains in my garage. sometimes ide wake up in the middle of the night and go in there, like 3 am and workout untill i puked, i thought it was great. the gym never closed, there was no management telling me to keep it down, or give me shit about me using chalk. i listened to metal as loud as i wanted, dropped my weights when i was done a set, screamed as loud as i needed to on that last rep. when i got too hot i would take my shirt off, and sweat all over the ****in place and not clean shit unless i wanted too. when i was done all i had to do was walk 10 paces into my house, make my shake, and cook some chicken. personally i like a gym that never closes, where i can do whatever the **** i want and no one takes my bench when i get a drink of water...but to each his own. if your big on machines and a broad spectrum of gear to train with then obviously the gym is better suited for you, i just find the freedom of training at home outwieghs the pros of a gym membership

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    H@ll we don't even have cable or DSL. No water unless you have a well drilled and then if the power goes out the well pump ain't going to work......
    ....but I like it.

AG

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Where do you people like that gyms are 45 mins away, the moon ?!

I could throw a rock in any direction and hit about 2 of them from my place. City life is good.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

fatback25 is offline Associate Member
    I agree with theTank. Depends on the person. I spent $4,500 on my own set-up because I like to train in ways that usually get odd looks at any standard gym/healthclub. I bought a power rack, bench, reverse hyper, glute ham raise , 500lbs of free weights, plyo boxes and a curl bar, no dumbells. I can do box squats, dynamic bench and squat, use bands or chains, board presses, plyo jumps, cleans etc etc without people staring. I can listen to whatever I like. Workout without a shirt etc etc. I do have a gym membership too to use the cardio machines and use dumbbells at times and also to get a new atmosphere. But overall workingout at home is much better for me because I have my own space, don't have to worry about your weights being taken(like theTank mentioned) etc.

If any of you are thinking about investing in a quality home traing set-up look into doing business with EliteFTS. Look them up. They have great deals on strength equipment...basically anything you can imagine especially for serious weightlifters and powerlifters.

Anyone recommend a somewhat cheap ($150 shipped range) adjustable bench (incline, flat, decline) that would work well for dumbbells from a place like amazon?

I just bought a set of ironmaster adjustable dumbells. Was $508 shipped. They include a stand and range from 5lbs-70lbs. They sell an upgrade kit that goes up to 120lbs and another that goes up 165lbs. They're solid with a locking collar that only takes a quarter turn, but you have to manually add or remove plates.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by inky-e View Post
    My gym is $220 per year or $175 couples.I'm not sure if that applies to same sex couples?
    only $18 a month? damn good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by fatback25 View Post
    If any of you are thinking about investing in a quality home traing set-up look into doing business with EliteFTS. Look them up. They have great deals on strength equipment...basically anything you can imagine especially for serious weightlifters and powerlifters.
    Agreed. Elitefts and ironmind.com has some of the best stuff in the world. (forza benches, magnum fitness, ivanko, elieko, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    it depends on the person ide say. some people feed off the atmosphere of the gym and like structure of schedule. personally, i spent like 700 bucks, and love working out at home. i dont lose motivation with the TV a room away, i ****in love it. im nursing an injury and not working out too heavily right now, but even when i was i loved it. i have adjustable dumbells, you could fit 100 lbs on them. an olympic bar and around 455 in plates..i made some of my best gains in my garage. sometimes ide wake up in the middle of the night and go in there, like 3 am and workout untill i puked, i thought it was great. the gym never closed, there was no management telling me to keep it down, or give me shit about me using chalk. i listened to metal as loud as i wanted, dropped my weights when i was done a set, screamed as loud as i needed to on that last rep. when i got too hot i would take my shirt off, and sweat all over the ****in place and not clean shit unless i wanted too. when i was done all i had to do was walk 10 paces into my house, make my shake, and cook some chicken. personally i like a gym that never closes, where i can do whatever the **** i want and no one takes my bench when i get a drink of water...but to each his own. if your big on machines and a broad spectrum of gear to train with then obviously the gym is better suited for you, i just find the freedom of training at home outwieghs the pros of a gym membership
    Thats what im ****ing talking about!! Sounds like me. Golds gym really pisses me off with there "we're open 24 hrs" crap. Yea, 24hrs 4 days a week (Mon-Thurs ONLY)

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Way I figure gym is about $400-500 a year, plus gas say $500 as well.

Thats $1K. Times however many years...

Just from a financial stand point I think buy makes sense.

I bought a nice power rack that I bench/squat in, another bench, attachments, a dumbbell storage rack and plenty of plates and dumbbells from Dick's when they had a huge sale. I stole my iron from them basically. Then when I need to move up a dumbbell I go to PlayItAgain Sports and buy them used. Rich terds sell nice stuff back to them all the time.

PLUS...mugs always want to come lift with me at my place. I make them buy my protein powder for the month...solid deal!

wilson9d is offline Senior Member
    gym.

T_man87 is offline Junior Member
    I have almost everything I currently need at home. Have about a grand invested in it, however much of it I got for dirt cheap from a buddy who was moving and couldn't take it with him. A gym will of course offer more and better equipment, but I've found I can make do with what I have at home pretty well if I get creative.

IMHO the biggest advantage a gym has for me would is the possibility of meeting the opposite sex. Being into staying fit myself, the gym is a great place to meet attractive women who are into the same.

GT2
    GT2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAR View Post
    I bought a Powertec bench/rack system, some used Olympic free weights, and a pair of Sport Blocks. I LOVE working out at home. I can play the music I like in conjunction with a slideshow of bodybuilding photos, I don't have to put up with the usual gym bullshit, I don't have to commute, etc., etc. But at some point in the future, I will join a gym again.
    Hahaha, I think that's a great idea bro, but the mental image just made me laugh

Diary of a Mad-man is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish&Andy View Post
    Hahaha, I think that's a great idea bro, but the mental image just made me laugh
    The mental image of Frank Zane photos set to Rocket Man?

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by fatback25 View Post
    I agree with theTank. Depends on the person. I spent $4,500 on my own set-up because I like to train in ways that usually get odd looks at any standard gym/healthclub. I bought a power rack, bench, reverse hyper, glute ham raise , 500lbs of free weights, plyo boxes and a curl bar, no dumbells. I can do box squats, dynamic bench and squat, use bands or chains, board presses, plyo jumps, cleans etc etc without people staring. I can listen to whatever I like. Workout without a shirt etc etc. I do have a gym membership too to use the cardio machines and use dumbbells at times and also to get a new atmosphere. But overall workingout at home is much better for me because I have my own space, don't have to worry about your weights being taken(like theTank mentioned) etc.

sounds like we have close to that same set up..

i train at home and have people come to my house to lift. i also train at another powerlifters house and a bunch of us haver another place we rented out and made our own gym. i couldnt survive in a regular gym, i would be thrown out in a day for the lifts that i do

back to the topic. i needed about 2k to start my gym up.... truth be told, all you need at first is a power rack with a movable bench, an olympic bar and for myself , bought about 1000lbs of weight

Beefkake31 is offline Member
    The reasons Tank mentioned are why I love working out at home. I actually have a really nice set up with mirrors all around and surround sound speakers set up with a tv for when and if I ever use the treadmill .

But I love how it takes 1 minute to go down and workout instead of the hassle of getting your stuff, getting in your car and driving out to the gym. Then see all these people you don't want to see or have people talk to you that you don't want to talk to. There's many more reasons like that. Anyway, after workout all you do is take a few steps to the kitchen and have your PWO and relax.

Beefkake31 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust View Post
    sounds like we have close to that same set up..

i train at home and have people come to my house to lift. i also train at another powerlifters house and a bunch of us haver another place we rented out and made our own gym. i couldnt survive in a regular gym, i would be thrown out in a day for the lifts that i do
    I have friends trying to come to my gym to workout with me all the time, I feel like I have a commercial gym. I should start charging and have a card set up lol.

Got a pretty solid bench off amazon. Now I need a total dumbbell workout, any posts anyone knows off?

BNK89 is offline Junior Member
    I go to LA Fitness and god am I tired of their radio network. I swear I listen to the same 10 goddamn songs over and over again everytime I go there.

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish&Andy View Post

My PC is in the same room as my power rack/weights. iTunes with all my favorite lifting music (Disturbed, Korn, TFK, Metallica, etc.) and Windows picture viewer slideshow (Arnold, Cutler, Martinez, Wolf, etc.) is way better and more motivational than any of that shit MTV nonsense they play at most gyms.

Damn, gyms back home are cheap! $20 a month? My old Gold's Gym membership at East Tokyo cost me around $100 a month!! I wuz robbed!!

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    My gym is junk, they have dumbells up to 90's and half in between are missing.

The equipment has pink covers on it and most of it was made in the owners garage in the mid 80's when he was working on his Trans AM.

I still pay for a membership because it's all there is. I have dumbells, I just opted to buy the barbells and wieght plates. I can do any wieght up to 85lbs with them. I get the plates at wal mart for $8 each.

I'm not as serious as a lot of members with my work outs. I can't really get too big either because of my work, I have to stay quite limber/agile.

I generally do everything off my body ball and use the dumbells.

Thread Information