Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bojangles69 is offline Banned

Why do meatheads all walk like robots?

Theres plenty of dudes at my gym where I just look at them and its blatantly obvious they're on or just got done doing some kind of cycle.

But everytime I walk by them, or see one walk by, I seriously wanna give them walking lessons.
    I'm not sure if they're trying to walk like they're bad, or what the deal is.

But no matter how tight my muscles get, I never lose my ability to move them, and walk with a bit of a confident swagger. My brother is one of those meatheads, but he's all naddy, and knows how to move his torso/shoulders/hips when he walks.

My question is.
    How many guys on this board walk around their gym like robots?
    Like head doesn't move, no swaying to the movement of your legs. Only thing you really move is your arms but its below the elbow and you keep your arms about 6 inches further out from your lats than they need to be?

That is sooo friggn funny.
    I KNOW there's plenty of guys on this board who do it, coomme onnn, at least try to defend your robot walk so I can understand it.

DKU
    DKU is offline Associate Member
    I see plenty of guys who walk with the air lats, but I'm not sure about the robot walk.

Yeh its like their necks don't move, they can't turn their heads w/out moving their whole body in that direction, and their torso doesn't sway at all with the natural movement of their hips.
    I kinda walk a bit like I'm black (not trying to start a race war).
    I notice a lot of black people have swagger or just style in the way they walk. (although some *do take it too far, like the hop on one leg kangaroo skip [or so I call it])

So I titrate that (not the kangaroo skip) into my natural walk so its a bit like I'm dancing when I walk, but I don't do it to the extent where people say "wtf is wrong with this guy?" It looks proud, but at the same time natural. Hard to explain.

Maybe I just analyze the way people walk too much.
    I mean I hear these guys talking and they don't sound like idiots, some are obviously guidos. Maybe I can find a vid on youtube of what I'm talking about.

But if I notice this and I'm a guy. Women must be laughing their asses off at these dudes.

Manorexic is offline Associate Member
    i think im pretty guilty of this..... i dont do it on purpose, but i definitely walk retarded.... i try to walk "normal" but i just doesnt work

Ok, I understand everyone has their own natural gait.

And what I use to think was muscle mass prevents people from walking "non-retarded" or however it really is, but I look at my brother who is HUGE, and he still walks completely normal.
    So I'm not sure if its the actual muscle affecting the walk, or the person who has the muscle and thinks they need to walk different now because they have it. If that makes sense.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    The funniest is when guys who weigh 170lbs walk around like robots either that or the suffer from some handicap of the lats. Im certain, albeit, it the former over the latter.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I'm sure there are tons of idiots like that on here.
    ***No source checks!!!***

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    All meatheads walk like that because it is an prerequisite to becoming a meathead. Its part of the definition

inky-e is offline AR's ORIGINAL ANABOLIC OUTLAW~ [RIP-8/20/11]
    Its called "Robo Cop Syndrome"

shifty_git is offline Anabolically Aware
    Cause there clenching there butt cheeks to stop the protein farts coming out

Manorexic is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shifty_git View Post
    Cause there clenching there butt cheeks to stop the protein farts coming out

i dont think ive always walked like that.... some of it is because the insides of my legs chaffe so bad i walk a little bow legged....

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    I get winded easily, so i walk slow.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    I dunno.....I dont really think about walking, while I am walking.....My dad always has to tell me "put your ****ing arms at your sides"......we'll be at a family gathering, and my dad will come over and whisper in my ear "put your goddamn arms down, christ"......My lats really are that big, and when I stand in front of the mirror, my arms fall naturally where they fall. I really cant help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Manorexic View Post

i dont think ive always walked like that.... some of it is because the insides of my legs chaffe so bad i walk a little bow legged....
    Yep happens to me to, I wind up wobbling a bit but I put some oil based lotion down there and it goes away pretty quick.
    Def know what you're talking about though. I get that crap almost everyday I do cardio, just need to prepare for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BWhitaker View Post
    All meatheads walk like that because it is an prerequisite to becoming a meathead. Its part of the definition
    This is more what I was thinking.
    Dudes get big, than overtime they slowly adopt a new form of gait that makes them look more vulnerable to getting the crap kicked out of them than when they were small.. but they actually think they look tough.

I'm trying to keep this off the idea that guys might just do this to look tough, because the way I see it, they look like they're actually handicapped to an extent, and its kinda sad that they have no real conception of how the fvck they really look.

jAcKeD!!!! is offline chemically engineered
    its not even like that, why do all the little guys who think there jacked walk like robots?
    man up if you one of those guys

Quote Originally Posted by Pooks View Post
    I get winded easily, so i walk slow.
    Walking slow is totally cool. You always look more laid back, composed, and like you could give 2 shits about whats going on around you, so I see no problems with that.

And I walk rather slow myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jAcKeD!!!! View Post
    its not even like that, why do all the little guys who think there jacked walk like robots?
    man up if you one of those guys
    Good point.
    I notice that too.

But whats funnier is when they walk past the big dudes and as they pass them they step around them about 2 ft just to avoid bumping shoulders, the big guys walk straight ahead and for a second you realize how much of a ***** they really are.
    I'm small but I bump shoulders with everyone only because I know from experience very few guys will actually say something like "watch where you're walking", if they do I'll say "I was, but I also watched the fact that you couldn't veer 2 inches to the right so I didn't have to walk into the wall, as big as you are, you need to understand how much space you hog in this tiny little world.

Its more subtext than actual words and usually I'll get a laugh, but if they even think about getting confrontational I find my brother, walk back in the same direction, and have them walk around US. Usually works like a charm.

ILS= imaginary lat syndrome

Nismo is offline Member
    I'm told that I walk like that but I don't have fake lats. Trust me when I say this, the people that do walk like that and not on purpose hate it!!! Well at least I do, I get freakin made fun of by all my buddies. The inner bi/tri rub against my lats all the time and yes it sucks and no I don't think I'm a bad@ss.

But I have seen the guys that are like 170 lbs and stick their arms out, it's kinda like "Dude you not fooling anyone".

ChuckLee is offline Scammer
    Because obviously they are not so big as they look, so they need to walk that stupid way for a bigger appearance.

CL

Nismo is offline Member
    A lot also has to do with posture (spell check?). If you have good posture and walk straight is no biggie but if you have good posture with have decent lats then it looks like your walking like a robot. Thats the problem that I have, I started to slauch (spell check again) and it just started to hurt my back.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismo View Post
    A lot also has to do with posture (spell check?). If you have good posture and walk straight is no biggie but if you have good posture with have decent lats then it looks like your walking like a robot. Thats the problem that I have, I started to slauch (spell check again) and it just started to hurt my back.
    I hear that and the inner thigh is becoming a problem chafing like a mofo.. kind of makes me walk like an idiot if I have some bad fitting pants on

SaSqUaDgE is offline Senior Member
    ^^^agree i walk weird cuz i chafe so i try to walk so it dont happen

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    i normally moonwalk in the gym. no wait im not moonwalking i just forgot to get off the treadmill....

SaSqUaDgE is offline Senior Member
    ^^^

shifty_git is offline Anabolically Aware
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001 View Post
    i normally moonwalk in the gym. no wait im not moonwalking i just forgot to get off the treadmill....

ahhh beast, you crazy kinda fool you!

Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKU View Post
    I see plenty of guys who walk with the air lats, but I'm not sure about the robot walk.
    Thats ILS imaginery lat syndrom

Damn I never realized how popular the inner thigh chafe thing is.
    Recently because I've upped my cardio hardcore for the last month, I literally get blisters in between my thighs.

Things I've tried to stop the chafe:
    Switched from boxers to briefs, thought too much fabric was the issue. Didn't work.
    Shaved my upper thighs, thought hair might be having some abrasive affect. Didn't work.
    Changed work out shorts all kinds of different types.

If I'm running on the tread mill for an hour, the chaffing is usually the reason I can't go any further. Not because I'm winded, not because of lactic acid in my calves. But always the fvcking chaffing its annoying.

The only thing I can think of is if you just take skin and rub it together fast for that long of time, its impossible to prevent.
    So my solution is to lean out my inner thighs as much as possible so they don't even touch anymore.. if its even possible.
    It does fvck with my walk right after I'm done running, but after I sit down for a bit the pain goes away, not really the rash.

May actually post a thread on this in the exercise forum, got too many questions to put here on cardio in general.

DKU
    DKU is offline Associate Member
    I'm still dubious as to what the robot walk looks like. Is this it?:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-4-QVR0Ymig

kirk3624 is offline Associate Member
    I think walking with your arms up like you have enormous invisible lats is ridiculous.

But people that walk slowly and smoothly can be very intimidating and suave. I have noticed females love this and will get the deer in the headlights look if you walk into a place slowly and with immense confidence.

J431S is offline Banned
    i must admit u perfectly picture the way i walk, i believe these walk motion is conditioned on me from this daily routine it just happened automatic without any pretense to it. aanyhow i;m looking for any tips to better my walking step, otherwise, pple are going to be suspcious !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post
    Theres plenty of dudes at my gym where I just look at them and its blatantly obvious they're on or just got done doing some kind of cycle.

But everytime I walk by them, or see one walk by, I seriously wanna give them walking lessons.I'm not sure if they're trying to walk like they're bad, or what the deal is.

But no matter how tight my muscles get, I never lose my ability to move them, and walk with a bit of a confident swagger. My brother is one of those meatheads, but he's all naddy, and knows how to move his torso/shoulders/hips when he walks.

My question is.
    How many guys on this board walk around their gym like robots?
    Like head doesn't move, no swaying to the movement of your legs. Only thing you really move is your arms but its below the elbow and you keep your arms about 6 inches further out from your lats than they need to be?

That is sooo friggn funny.
    I KNOW there's plenty of guys on this board who do it, coomme onnn, at least try to defend your robot walk so I can understand it.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    haha some guy in my gym walks like that all the time. His chest is always pushed out and he has big lat syndrome. i love it.

MATTMAN01 is offline Banned
    My legs are that hairy the skin on my inner thighs could never make contact.

tadpoleboyy is offline Member
    some times after leg day i walked and limp around, and probably look like i was ass raped by a busload of inmates.

Quote Originally Posted by DKU View Post
    I'm still dubious as to what the robot walk looks like. Is this it?:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-4-QVR0Ymig
    No, its really simple yet really hard to describe at the same time.

I checked youtube and couldn't find any, yet at least.

Quote Originally Posted by kirk3624 View Post
    I think walking with your arms up like you have enormous invisible lats is ridiculous.

But people that walk slowly and smoothly can be very intimidating and suave. I have noticed females love this and will get the deer in the headlights look if you walk into a place slowly and with immense confidence.
    Yep ALL THE TIME. I was talking to a few girls about how when they pass a guy who piques their interest, they ALWAYS play with their hair like its a nervous twitch or w/e.

I posted a thread a while ago (not here) on perfecting gait. I still have it saved so depending on how things go maybe I'll submit it.
    It covers every aspect, even things you wouldn't imagine like the 1" airsoles off of ebay.
    WOW, these things will improve you're walk instantly. They affect the way your feet hit the ground and it feel like you're walking on air.
    Also large doses of vitamin C (6-8gms ed) surge collagen levels in your joints which I noticed makes a huge difference too.
    Like having pads between your joints.

I noticed a difference in like a week, and have been taking doses that high for about 2 years now, I swear by it 100%.
    There about a thousand other things you can just practice or understand about b/language and kinetic limb interactions.
    But I'm not about to dive into it unless people actually give a shit.

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    i dont walk with invisible lat syndrome or anything but i do walk a bit robotic. i always have for my entire life (no idea why) so its not bodybuilding related

thetank is offline Anabolic Member
    i know the kind of walk you're talking about. whats funny is how obvious it is when someone is putting effort into the way they walk, no matter how it is. honestly the walk i find by far the most ridiculous tho, is the gangster like ankle weight on one foot shoulder drop walk. (obviously im talking outside of the gym now) this walk is usually accompanied by open timberland boots with the tonue touching the toe. that shit is ridiculous.

Z-Ro is offline Senior Member
    I see this OFTEN so OFTEN!

I walk very quickly and with loose movement like a monkey swinging around, kidding. But in I see this often and know exactly what your talking about. I actually know a few guys who even do the "air lat" thing and puff out their arms like they are posing but they have no big lats. I just look at them and laugh internally. What is even more funny is that a good percentage of the actual big guys I know, never do that type of stuff. Its more of the "frat meat heads" if you will. The guys who are like intermediately big trying to show off but the big boys do not care and just go.

I am not saying I am huge but working to get there, I just see that type of stuff and shrug it off. Or I see guys just walking around and do the flexing your arm down thing and then just stop and do the "shake" and shake their arm around.

OR I see guys go to the mirror and do like a fake curl and pump their arm back-n-forth when they are by some chick. lol @ it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information