J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member

What used bike to get?

I’ve never had one, never rode one, so I’m a real armature here.

I’d like to spend around 3k on a used one, I know nothing about them. I don’t need the fastest bike, I need a fun bike that is reliable. From what I’m told a 600 is fast enough to kill you anyway.

Just looking for some bikes to look at and consider before making a purchase. Oh, and I'm looking a croch rockets.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Any well maintained 600cc sportbike will be a blast, and economical. I've never really bought into the "this one is better than that one" ideology, each of the big 4 make some really nice bikes. Above all, be careful!!!

jada64 is offline Senior Member
    Just look for around a 92-95. Good prices, on them, they are a lil down on power compared to the newer ones, plus you wont cry like a big baby when you drop it in the driveway. Youll just be pissed.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Quote Originally Posted by jada64 View Post
    plus you wont cry like a big baby when you drop it in the driveway
    hehe that's the truth ^

inky-e is offline AR's ORIGINAL ANABOLIC OUTLAW~ [RIP-8/20/11]
    I'm biased and for 3k you can't get a real bike.

qualityclrk1 is offline Senior Member
    look for a used r6.... thats my preference

2001 r6

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Just look for around a 92-95. Good prices, on them, they are a lil down on power compared to the newer ones, plus you wont cry like a big baby when you drop it in the driveway. Youll just be pissed.
    92-95? Thats real damn old for a sport bike.

i have a clue as to what gixxer might buy

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    you can buy my cbr600 F4

Quote Originally Posted by number twelve View Post
    you can buy my cbr600 F4
    year/mileage?

DKU
    DKU is offline Associate Member
    Any big 4 600cc will fit the bill.

A word of advice though - check insurance before you buy. Also factor in getting decent gear.

NATE0406 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DKU View Post
    Any big 4 600cc will fit the bill.

A word of advice though - check insurance before you buy. Also factor in getting decent gear.
    so true. i was looking into getting a bike and the insurance was ungodly high. but if i was going to get one it would be a gixxer.

sphincter is offline Member
    http://www.kawasaki.com/products/detail.aspx?id=263

BEST begginner bike EVER!!! we have an older model '98 ninja and most guys can't keep up with me going downhill in the canyons and I don't even run that hard in the canyons any more.. I go to the track for that.

this bike will look great, get 45mpg or so, have plenty good enough power and handling characteristics for you to SAFELY and COMFORTABLY improve your skill level without killing yourself or feeling really intimidated by all the power. Best of all, they hold their value very well and when you feel you have learned all you need to learn on it, you can recoup most of your purchase price!! Our '98 was $1200 (used) and we could sell it for around $1000 easily and maybe still get teh $1200 out of it. GREAT BIKE!!!!

We teach all our freinds how to ride on our Ninja and they all love the bike and appreciate us for heling steer them away from the 600cc+++ sportbikes that they eventually want to get but recognize they are definitely not ready for yet as a beggining rider.

OOh, and insurance on teh Ninja is about $100/year!!! sure we have more bikes than that and the wife is now able to ride bigger bikes but she still loves riding her 250 and so do I... it is a really fun bike to ride
    Last edited by sphincter; 04-29-2008 at 06:02 PM.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    Honda superhawk. VTR1000F.

Pros: Good HP, Tons of Torque, sounds like a Harley on Steroids , comfy seat, wheelies galore, handles pretty good, reliable, cheap parts.

Cons: Gas mileage is so/so, you'll fill up every 100 miles. Sorta heavy compared to a newer inline.

This thing is a blast though, unique sound with lots of attitude and nobody knows what it is but they like it when they see it. You can even throw on a single sided swing arm and it resembles a ducati. I actually had several people ask if it was a duc, nope. It's a hawk

jada64 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F4iDom View Post
    Honda superhawk. VTR1000F.

Pros: Good HP, Tons of Torque, sounds like a Harley on Steroids , comfy seat, wheelies galore, handles pretty good, reliable, cheap parts.

Cons: Gas mileage is so/so, you'll fill up every 100 miles. Sorta heavy compared to a newer inline.

This thing is a blast though, unique sound with lots of attitude and nobody knows what it is but they like it when they see it. You can even throw on a single sided swing arm and it resembles a ducati. I actually had several people ask if it was a duc, nope. It's a hawk

Way too much power for a starter bike......

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dogg View Post
    I’ve never had one, never rode one, so I’m a real armature here.
    You'll need to take the 3-day class on Motorcycle Rider Safety
    http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm...derCourse+Info

It will give you about 2 years of riding experience in one weekend, and will keep you alive in a lot of situations. You'll know how to make emergency stops in curves without crashing, you'll learn how to safely ride over road debris, you'll learn to keep looking to where you're going and not to look at the road 5 feet in front of you.

It's only a friday night, Saturday, and half of Sunday. If you're a newbie on a bike, you need this class, as much as a newbie with AS needs this website.

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    you must have never ridden one.....a in line 600 will smoke that thing

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    That 250R will probably work well for me. Found a 2002 with 3700 miles for 1,300, not bad.

Insurance just over 100 a year.

I am not looking to become a biker so not worried about having the biggest and best, just looking for good gas milage and somthing fun.

kirk3624 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dogg View Post
    That 250R will probably work well for me. Found a 2002 with 3700 miles for 1,300, not bad.

Insurance just over 100 a year.

I am not looking to become a biker so not worried about having the biggest and best, just looking for good gas milage and somthing fun.
    FWIW I bought an 08 Ninja 250 and love it. I have had two 750's, a 600, and now a 250. I don't really care about going insane fast anymore and the ninja can get up to 75mpg. Get lots of compliments on the look too. Go figure.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    Good call on the new ninja 250. That bike looks great and I'm sure handles like its on rails. Wonder what it weighs.

kirk3624 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F4iDom View Post
    Good call on the new ninja 250. That bike looks great and I'm sure handles like its on rails. Wonder what it weighs.
    Not sure the exact weight but it is ridiculously light, if it is really windy outside you will get "pushed" around more than on a 600.

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    Have you ridden a twin before? My last bike was a '98 Superhawk and it doesn't have the power of a GSXR1000 or a Yamaha R1, it's power is more like that of a 600cc inline four, but with more low end torque. The Superhawk starts pulling at 2k, where as a monster 1000cc machine usually kicks in around 7k+. Honda's are great bikes, I've only ever had a honda and my dad was a honda rider too.

Thread Information