Thread: Elevation Sucks

D-Unit 39 is offline Member

Elevation Sucks

Just moved to Colorado to a place with 5000ft elevation from Chicago which is basically sea level.

Worked out for the first time today here and it SUCKED. I got winded and really lightheaded during every set to the point where I started to feel ill. Really a terrible workout.

Anyone have any experience with this? How long until I'm used to it? Should I just do cardio for a week or so to try and get used to the thinner air?

Also, the gyms here SUCK. The World Gym near me is a total piece of sh!t and is more expensive than the super-nice xsport fitness I went to in Chicago. I used my "one free trial workout" today and the place is dirty, the equipment is awful and alot of it is broken. The only other gym around is one independant gym and I think I might get a disease just walking on the floors in there. It's so nasty.

WEBB is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Unit 39 View Post
    Just moved to Colorado to a place with 5000ft elevation from Chicago which is basically sea level.

Worked out for the first time today here and it SUCKED. I got winded and really lightheaded during every set to the point where I started to feel ill. Really a terrible workout.

Anyone have any experience with this? How long until I'm used to it? Should I just do cardio for a week or so to try and get used to the thinner air?

Also, the gyms here SUCK. The World Gym near me is a total piece of sh!t and is more expensive than the super-nice xsport fitness I went to in Chicago. I used my "one free trial workout" today and the place is dirty, the equipment is awful and alot of it is broken. The only other gym around is one independant gym and I think I might get a disease just walking on the floors in there. It's so nasty.

maybe its cause your fat...just an objective point of view....

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WEBB View Post

I lived at 6500 feet for about 13 years .... it takes a few weeks to get used to it but I don't remember it being too bad. It will help with your oxygen uptake when you get back down to sea level. The more aerobic stuff was definately more difficult but the lifting was OK

D-Unit 39 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WEBB View Post
    Wrong... I'm skinny. Because I don't eat enough. But that's what steroids are for, right?

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    does the weight feel lighter?

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04 View Post
    does the weight feel lighter?
    It should feel heavier as the air is thinner!

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    I had the reverse happen to me. I trained for marathons at 6000+ elevation and then went to Great Lakes for basic. The air was so thick you could cut it with a knife. You'll get used to it. My friend lives in Park County, near South Park, which is 9000+. We went hiking and coming straight from Tokyo, I was gassed after 2 minutes.

wilson9d is offline Senior Member
    You will be a champ when you get to sea level. I was stationed at a base 3100ft and when I ran at sea level my 3 mile time deceased by about 80 seconds.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    i'd say give a few weeks, you will be fine...

I do know that big markets like chicago and other major cities have so much competition that the prices are great and gyms awesome... if you are in a small town, you will just have to make the best of it.. that's what I do when traveling..

I do prefer nicer areas, but I like the weights and metal too much so as long as it is there I make the best of it... you could invest in your own if you moved for a nice high paying job.

Thug Nasty is offline Associate Member
    I go back and forth from Denver to Portland. From 5280 ft. to sea level. I really don't notice a difference. Maybe the first couple days I'm back in Denver I get winded a bit easier, but other than that, it's all the same. But when I go from sea level and the next day go to the mountains boarding or something in Colorado, I get exhausted very quickly.

SaSqUaDgE is offline Senior Member
    i live in wyoming elevation is really high took me little while to get used to it but when i went back to indiana where its sea level man i felt like a god ha i could run faster witohut getting so winded and it was pretty wierd

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by paulzane View Post
    It should feel heavier as the air is thinner!
    word?
    Last edited by IronReload04; 05-22-2008 at 10:15 PM.

zipster_dude is offline Associate Member
    We used to train at altitude, and we would climatize after about 2 weeks...

Thread Information