Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member

Is it better to train solo or with a gym buddy?

I have to say im leaning towards the former. Ive had mates of mine that have come to the gym with me in the past, for like 6-12 months and then drop out, but I have one mate that, hell...I wonder if he's wasting his time.

My current gym partner has been coming to the gym with me since about 2 years ago. I took a huge amount of time out of the gym last year (barely went at all) and so decided to get back into the gym hardcore since February. I think since then ive made excellent progress, my diet is in check, im in the gym 5-6 times a week, im really loving it. And then I got my mate. Half the time he's late (there is nothing worse than waiting for someone when you've arrived) which ends up with me starting without him, he complains if he has to go to the gym on his own, so doesnt..this is because i work a coupla evenings so i have to go in the afternoon while he is still working during the day, and now he's taken it upon himself to keep going travelling for work, like every other week he is off to spain or italy to sort things out and he's gone for the week. I thought it was compulsory for him to go on these trips but he tells me he goes to Europe (he works in IT) because its easier to fix whatever problem there, than here. I kinda had a set too with him about this and he got pretty angry saying he loves the gym. Damn, both of us got pretty out of shape during our hiatus, i lost quite a bit of size while he's developed a huge gut, which incidently is still there. I know this sounds like a huge rant but it just seems like a diffucult situation for me now.
    Last edited by Flagg; 05-28-2008 at 04:20 AM.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I use to workout a lone all the time. I met this kid at the gym and we talk/lift together which was great at first for spots but now he doesn't shut the @#$# up and sometimes i get a bad workout cause of it.

I want to be alone again

Gators is offline Banned
    i have a home gym and wo there, just me and my ipod.

Blackster1975 is offline Associate Member
    i prefer to train with my cousin as he's a lot bigger and stronger than me and he helps motivate me and push me through sticking points.

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    i generally train by myself but thats cause most ppl i know arent as into working out as me. i hate dealing with some of the stuff you mentioned like waiting cause your partner is late...that being said, i look forward to training with a person bigger and stronger than me cause I know ill get pushed hard

I hear you brothers. The case in this point is that I'M in far superior shape to him, hence why he likes to work out with me I guess. But his enthusiasm has waned, though he'd never admit it. It's tough cause he's a mate, but his unreliability drives me up the wall.

TJM7275 is offline Banned
    Dude, I fly solo. I like to throw on my Ipod, cranks some metal and lift. Dudes have asked me in the past to train with me, but they always quit. I had one buddy start off as a skinny little waste and after 6 months of lifting hard, and a proper diet, his wife was raping him every night. Then he just quit and lost everything. So yeah brother no workout partners. I might reconsider if I found a juicehead like myself who was training for a competition or something and was dead serious, but that would be the only way...

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    I have done both......I could careless as long as I am getting my workout.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarian View Post
    I have done both......I could careless as long as I am getting my workout.
    Ditto.

Most of the time I train alone because a 2nd party isn't necessary.

I don't need a spotter.. I don't need a time-waster.. I don't need the moral support either.

-C

chopper9451 is offline Associate Member
    I like havin a partner. he they always puch me harder. but i cant stand the talking and when you show up and they are bringin their buddys to work in with us. then you end up with a 5min rest between sets.

1down5up is offline Associate Member
    I like alone better.

BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member

Workout buddy

I've just discovered the twin joys of:
    a) iPod shuffle
    b) death metal

They are my "workout partner" for every body part except LEGS.

For legs I've got a GREAT workout buddy who is as serioius and as motivated about lower body as I am. He's 49 years old (!) and is a hard-core heavy lifter from way-back.

So, long-and-short of it is: Use a workout partner if you're both on the same wave length; otherwise it's better to tune in, drop out, and hit the metal solo.

-BigLittleTim

TJM7275 is offline Banned
    Tim.... might I suggest- Old Metallica, Pantera and the Deftones. Works well for me bro

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM7275 View Post
    Tim.... might I suggest- Old Metallica, Pantera and the Deftones. Works well for me bro
    Try some Still Remains, August Burns Red, Trivium, All that Remains, Lamb of God and Killswitch Engage. Trust me, you'll like it.

g0dsend is offline Member
    Working out with a partner is awsome, I always try to workout with one as it gives me more motivation for some reason.

T3/T4 GSR is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blome View Post
    Try some Still Remains, August Burns Red, Trivium, All that Remains, Lamb of God and Killswitch Engage. Trust me, you'll like it.
    na my man likes death metal...he needs some necrophagist, all shall perish, morbid angel, nile, behemoth, and of course....death. I like metalcore too though. August burns red has some really awesome rhythms that are hard to follow due to all the time signature changes.

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    all I need is some music and im good

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    I try to plan it so there are people I know at the gym when I go so I can get a spot when I need one, but not training together. I like to shoot the shit between sets too, I don't care if it means I'm in the gym a little longer.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Home gym (a squat rack, deadlift, and oly lift platform, plenty of bars and weight including bumpers), my two teenage sons, and some gangsta rap!

Working out w/my sons is great because they change the weight and they know not to bullshit! Plus if they miss a workout, its their ass!

I do train with a partner on event days (im a competitive strongman) that's only because he has all the equipment at his house.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    Ditto.

I don't need a spotter.. I don't need a time-waster.. I don't need the moral support either.

-C
    I have to agree. I dont need to depend on others and if I cant motivate myself then I have bigger issues.

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member
    Ditto.

-C
    took the words right out of my mouth.

Time to go fill it with food

chopper9451 is offline Associate Member
    I like having one for chest days only. thats when I like to have my spots so i can try to move up a little all the time
    Last edited by chopper9451; 05-28-2008 at 02:30 PM.

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    Ditto.

-C
    What you need broo is Nookie and lots of it.

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    i train alone.

james21 is offline Anabolic Member
    alone fo sho

I prefer to train alone I think, I started out that way, having a mate there is good for certain days like if you need someone to spot you on the benchpress, but its easily rectified by simply asking someone else to do it for you if need be. I miss not having an IPod or MP3 player plus hardcore music

Im sure there's a morale to this story...

I think people that really work hard in the gym and go for goals are a rare breed indeed. It's just a shame there are others that just don't seem to "get that", know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by T3/T4 GSR View Post
    na my man likes death metal...he needs some necrophagist, all shall perish, morbid angel, nile, behemoth, and of course....death. I like metalcore too though. August burns red has some really awesome rhythms that are hard to follow due to all the time signature changes.
    or you could try: dark tranquillity, darkest hour, in flames, children of bodom, arch enemy

Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    I prefer to train alone I think, I started out that way, having a mate there is good for certain days like if you need someone to spot you on the benchpress, but its easily rectified by simply asking someone else to do it for you if need be. I miss not having an IPod or MP3 player plus hardcore music

Im sure there's a morale to this story...

I think people that really work hard in the gym and go for goals are a rare breed indeed. It's just a shame there are others that just don't seem to "get that", know what I mean?
    agreed.

unnatural strength, unnatural dedication

Slayer, Hatebreed, Pantera...mostly any kind of really fast, heavy metal works for me.

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    I train alone, takes too much time to train with others. I get a better workout by myself than I ever did with any partner other than a trainer.

wilson9d is offline Senior Member
    i like to be alone

IamtheChitt is offline Associate Member
    I've had quite a few training partners who I believe helped push me in the gym. Especially when using forced reps or bench press when I really need a spot. I enjoy training with someone that has the same mindset as myself. It's even better if they are the same strength as you or stronger.

On the other hand, I just moved to a new city. I'm just as happy by myself with my ipod. Of course, I now have to do my bench presses in the squat rack to catch the weight on my last rep.

inky-e is offline AR's ORIGINAL ANABOLIC OUTLAW~ [RIP-8/20/11]
    I workout with the wife. She does cardio then joins me for like an hour. She doesn't spot me or anything.

Thread Information