Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimbo Slice

buffgator is offline king of mass
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinred View Post
    ok,ok, let's not fight... buff said he didn't mean it literally... still it can be taken that way over the internet.....

let's just pretend that we are kickin it at our pad and shootin the shit over a beer or coffee and buff said that... we all told him to calm the heck down and that he is going overboard, no biggie... now let's move on with the subject....take a swig of your coffee or beer and relax
    Sounds good to me

Voice of Reason is offline Senior Member
    Last edited by Voice of Reason; 06-01-2008 at 05:45 PM.

D-Bo Dre is offline Member
    EliteXC post-fight press conference

Heavyweights Kimbo Slice and Brett Rogers traded words at Saturday's EliteXC post-fight press conference. Also included, James Thompson, Gina Carano, Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith fielded questions from the media following their bouts on the CBS-televised card.

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videos.asp?v_id=1608

Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member
    Kimbo is a loser
    James Thompson is a journey man n hardly an exciting fighter
    Both together dont really excite me much.

Thomsons most exciting fight:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3nB_wWnGDk
    Last edited by Odpierdol_sie!; 06-01-2008 at 06:07 PM.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Bo Dre View Post
    EliteXC post-fight press conference

Heavyweights Kimbo Slice and Brett Rogers traded words at Saturday's EliteXC post-fight press conference. Also included, James Thompson, Gina Carano, Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith fielded questions from the media following their bouts on the CBS-televised card.

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videos.asp?v_id=1608

nice post... I think the brett rogers and kimbo fight will be a good one.

CeeLo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buffgator View Post
    I hope Kimbo goes down the same way as biggie and Tupac did
    I think your comment is a little out of line and quite franckly, racist!

I know A LOT of yall are hating. Just cause someone is doing good and beat you to the puch, you wanna hate and talk crap. I bet neither one of you got the balls to step into the ring with that dude. Until you do, shut the **ck up!

He hasn't did anything but promote himself and get picked up by one of the largest broadcast in the country.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    I like Kimbo.

I just want to see him fight someone worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    I like Kimbo.

I just want to see him fight someone worthy.
    He will, in due time. When the time is right. Let him get a few wins in first.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    MMA’s network debut mocks true sport
    It sounded like such a good idea when the news broke a few months ago that CBS would broadcast a series of mixed martial arts cards in prime time.

But after watching its effort on Saturday’s Elite XC show from the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., the good news might be if CBS opts not to do another show.

These were supposed to be the professionals who would show the amateurs at the Ultimate Fighting Championship, who do their own production, how it’s supposed to be done.

And while neophyte play-by-play man Gus Johnson acquitted himself well and analysts Mauro Ranallo and Frank Shamrock didn’t embarrass themselves, the broadcast dragged on interminably.

There was more chatting than “The Tonight Show.” Fighters were introduced as they made long, slow walks to the cage, then were introduced again once they hit the cage. Given that the show went 45 minutes over its allotted time, what do you want to bet the ring walks will be eliminated if there is another show on CBS?

For some reason, particularly early in the broadcast, CBS chose to use its overhead camera to repeatedly show Elite XC’s skanky-looking cheerleaders doing nothing more than shaking their butts.

This wouldn’t have been so bad had there actually been a fight on the air every now and then. But after the show had been on the air for 32 minutes, there had been 61 seconds of actual fighting. When it was 70 minutes into the show, there had been just 2:12 of fighting.

The whole show was built around Kimbo Slice, the Internet-generated star whose street fights made him into something of a mythical figure in the sport before he’d ever faced a serious opponent.

Slice’s name and face was everywhere in the days and weeks leading up to the bout. Considering the way this dragged on, though, you have to wonder how many folks were still awake when the bell rang to begin Slice’s bout with James Thompson at 11:27 p.m. ET, nearly a full half-hour after the show was supposed to have been over.

While it was mostly C-level talent on display, the fighters by and large held up their end of the bargain. Brett Rogers delivered a one-punch knockout of one-time Syracuse linebacker Jon Murphy in just 1:01 in the first fight of the night.

After glorifying loutish middleweight Phil Baroni as some sort of star – ignoring the fact he’d lost three of his last four and was just a decidedly mediocre 10-9 coming in – CBS looked bad when he was knocked out in 1:11 by Joe Villasenor.

The next two bouts were sensational. Gina Carano outslugged Kaitlin Young after two rounds and middleweights Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith went at it fiercely until Smith was inadvertently poked in the eye in the third, forcing a premature end to their middleweight title bout.

The main event showcased two mediocre fighters in mediocre condition, though after listening to Johnson, Ranallo and Shamrock, you’d have thought we were watching the MMA equivalent of Ali-Frazier.

Have no doubt about this: Slice would be destroyed by any legitimate mixed martial artist. Had Slice faced ex-WWE champion Brock Lesnar, the current UFC rookie hopeful, he’d have been beaten in less than two minutes.

As it was, Slice struggled his way to a sloppy third-round knockout of a complete tomato can.

You can’t blame Slice, because he had no business being in a main event of a mixed martial arts bout at this stage of his progression. It takes years of training and sacrifice to reach the main event in MMA and Slice was only there because of the notoriety he’d gained in his YouTube street brawls.

It was kind of ironic that at the show’s opening, Shamrock said with a straight face, “You won’t find them fighting in a bar and you won’t find them fighting in the street.”

Really?

Well, this card featured a guy (Baroni) who fights in bars and another who made his name by fighting in the streets.

CBS should have known better.

The fans deserved better.

The sport deserved better.

The CBS folks ought to take a look at the WEC card on the cable network Versus on Sunday to see how an MMA show is supposed to be put together. They’ll learn from watching that show how to introduce the viewers to the fighters but not drag the show on like a book that goes on 200 pages too long.

They’ll see quality fights between trained and competitive MMA fighters.

Hopefully, CBS didn’t manage to turn off a large segment to the country to what is a classic and compelling sport.

There’s no question, though, that CBS didn’t do MMA any favors Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by cpreasha View Post
    I think your comment is a little out of line and quite franckly, racist!

I know A LOT of yall are hating. Just cause someone is doing good and beat you to the puch, you wanna hate and talk crap. I bet neither one of you got the balls to step into the ring with that dude. Until you do, shut the **ck up!

He hasn't did anything but promote himself and get picked up by one of the largest broadcast in the country.
    Guess what your a little to late for this conversation dude. Try going back and reading some earlier posts. It has nothing to do with race, its his character I dont like. What does stepping in the ring have to do with it? Your tell me that because he could kick my ass I have an obligation to like him? Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard. I dont have to like every person that walks this earth. If you dont have any one you dislike good for you.

Guess what your a little to late for this conversation dude. Try going back and reading some earlier posts. It has nothing to do with race, its his character I dont like. What does stepping in the ring have to do with it? Your tell me that because he could kick my ass I have an obligation to like him? Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard. I dont have to like every person that walks this earth. If you dont have any one you dislike good for you.
    yeah, i did go back and read after I posted that, but I didnt feel like retracting my statement. Because I still felt that way. I don't dislike anyone for making a better life for themselves. He hasn't done anything to me or anyone that I know of and he doesn't seem to be a bad person. I doubt if he has any armed robberies or a huge rap sheet, CBS wouldn't have taken him on if he did.

He's making an earnest living and providing for his family. In his press conference, he actually seemed well spoken and came off as a nice guy.

I thought their were some good fights. Yeah, it lasted a little long, but with 4 knoockouts or submissions. The fans deserved a little more entertainment for the money as well. The producers and the facility has to give back to the fans, therefore the music and side shows.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    What about his character don't you like? What has he done to earn your disrespect? I guess turning your life completely around and becoming a self made man isn't worthy of the respect by an internet nobody? As far as your comment about him going down like Biggie and Tupac? Why would you imply he will be killed like those guys. He doesn't live that lifestyle and hasn't been implicated in any beefs. That comment was uncalled for!

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    CBS should have known better.

The fans deserved better.

The sport deserved better.

couldn't have said it better myself

Quote Originally Posted by cpreasha View Post
    yeah, i did go back and read after I posted that, but I didnt feel like retracting my statement. Because I still felt that way. I don't dislike anyone for making a better life for themselves. He hasn't done anything to me or anyone that I know of and he doesn't seem to be a bad person. I doubt if he has any armed robberies or a huge rap sheet, CBS wouldn't have taken him on if he did.

He's making an earnest living and providing for his family. In his press conference, he actually seemed well spoken and came off as a nice guy.
    Good point

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    the fight was pathetic.

1819 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by number twelve View Post
    he has some major punching power
    ???????? wild haymakers that do no damge when they connect. anyone with a decent punch would have knocked out that bum he fought with one shot.

pumpd4lif is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    What about his character don't you like? What has he done to earn your disrespect? I guess turning your life completely around and becoming a self made man isn't worthy of the respect by an internet nobody? As far as your comment about him going down like Biggie and Tupac? Why would you imply he will be killed like those guys. He doesn't live that lifestyle and hasn't been implicated in any beefs. That comment was uncalled for!
    i must concur

zartan is offline Banned
    I like Kimbo as much as the next guy, hes amusing and has a good attitude, but damn I'm sick of seeing Kimbo hype. EliteXC doesn't have a decent heavyweight so they have to do something, but its sad to see people buy into it so hard. They lined him up to fight James Thompson?!? The guy has a glass jaw and Kimbo STILL didn't knock him out. Kimbo actually made him look like a somewhat decent fighter! EliteXC keeps lining Kimbo up with these bowling pins and feeding the hype. At least the discerning ones amongst us can see passed the scheme. He has fought no one of importance, and doesn't deserve notoriety. Let him fight Bob Sapp or Butterbean and get knocked the f*ck out so people will lay off him and let him develop as a normal fighter.

Butterbean v James Thompson:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjep2b224Go

southmadejd is offline Member
    Actually Antonio Silva is a pretty good heavyweight in EliteXC. Also you can't be mad about Kimbo being the headliner. I mean that is the name that is going to draw in fans that know nothing about the sport or the fighters. And also who would turn down all of this notereity and money to fight right from the beginning. I am sure most fighters that are struggling to make a name for themselves would be more than happy to get Kimbo's kind of publicity.

zartan is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by southmadejd View Post
    Actually Antonio Silva is a pretty good heavyweight in EliteXC. Also you can't be mad about Kimbo being the headliner. I mean that is the name that is going to draw in fans that know nothing about the sport or the fighters. And also who would turn down all of this notereity and money to fight right from the beginning. I am sure most fighters that are struggling to make a name for themselves would be more than happy to get Kimbo's kind of publicity.
    If you reread my post you will notice I mention nothing about being mad at Kimbo, actually I said I like him, and props to him for making such a name out of nothing but a few youtube street fights and a fledgling mma career.

Voice of Reason is offline Senior Member
    I don't like Kimbo cause his beard is gay.

zartan is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I don't like Kimbo cause his beard is gay.
    His hair stylings are original at least, check out the gorilla chest T.

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    ok i have been readin this thread and been holding my tongue but i think its just got out of hand...

what it seems to me is that everyone is hating kimbo cause 'he hasnt fought anybody good'... for his 3RD FIGHT EVER IN MMA, he fights a guy w/ a record of 16-9... that is a decently sucessful record, why in the hell would a 'big name' fighter fight kimbo in his first couple of matches? its crazy thinking, and noone thinks hes good cause of it... f-in grow up, NO ONE deserves a title shot whenthey first start fighting...

and has anyone read the ESPN the Mag article about him? i think alot of you haters will have a different opinion after reading that...

as for CBS ruining the fight... how can they regulate the fighting? that is up to the fighters... r u gonna hate fox cause the superbowl sucked? no, you would be upset at the teams, not the network that carried the game...

as for him making a name for himself, he didnt do much other than fight (read the article, i dont feel liek goin into that when u can read it for yourself)

and hes undefeated, hence so far, hes good...

if u wanna argue they sould have stopped the fight earlier, everytime he was 'pinned' he gavea thumbs up, saying he's alright so why stop? yeah personally i thought it shoudl have went a lil longer but thompson was goin down anyways if u see how he was reacting to kimbo comin at him after he got his ear popped...( that was some sick sh*t tho, looked like a damn apple on his ear, and only on one side? wtf?)

yes, and kimbo knows that he has alot of things to learn, but hes learning and going w/ the flow... he isnt arrogant like that one dude who got TKO'ed in the earlier fight... how did he come in, w/ a towel on his head and walked right in, NO showboating or anything...

btw it was on CBS, not PPV.... so if u didnt like it, u can change the channel, its not like u paid 50$ for just htat fight and u didnt like it... it was on national tv... dont like it, change the channel and quit b*tchin...

zartan is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonada8 View Post
    ok i have been readin this thread and been holding my tongue but i think its just got out of hand...

what it seems to me is that everyone is hating kimbo cause 'he hasnt fought anybody good'... for his 3RD FIGHT EVER IN MMA, he fights a guy w/ a record of 16-9... that is a decently sucessful record, why in the hell would a 'big name' fighter fight kimbo in his first couple of matches? its crazy thinking, and noone thinks hes good cause of it... f-in grow up, NO ONE deserves a title shot whenthey first start fighting...

and has anyone read the ESPN the Mag article about him? i think alot of you haters will have a different opinion after reading that...

as for CBS ruining the fight... how can they regulate the fighting? that is up to the fighters... r u gonna hate fox cause the superbowl sucked? no, you would be upset at the teams, not the network that carried the game...

as for him making a name for himself, he didnt do much other than fight (read the article, i dont feel liek goin into that when u can read it for yourself)

and hes undefeated, hence so far, hes good...

if u wanna argue they sould have stopped the fight earlier, everytime he was 'pinned' he gavea thumbs up, saying he's alright so why stop? yeah personally i thought it shoudl have went a lil longer but thompson was goin down anyways if u see how he was reacting to kimbo comin at him after he got his ear popped...( that was some sick sh*t tho, looked like a damn apple on his ear, and only on one side? wtf?)

yes, and kimbo knows that he has alot of things to learn, but hes learning and going w/ the flow... he isnt arrogant like that one dude who got TKO'ed in the earlier fight... how did he come in, w/ a towel on his head and walked right in, NO showboating or anything...

btw it was on CBS, not PPV.... so if u didnt like it, u can change the channel, its not like u paid 50$ for just htat fight and u didnt like it... it was on national tv... dont like it, change the channel and quit b*tchin...

Whats out of hand is all the hype, some people can recognize this and want to point it out, and bring some PERSPECTIVE to the situation, more power to them. This is a discussion board if you haven't noticed. Obviously you count yourself as one of the 'Kimbo fans', and your entitled to that, hey its a step up from the WWE you were probably watching before

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zartan View Post
    This is a discussion board if you haven't noticed. Obviously you count yourself as one of the 'Kimbo fans',
    i know its discussion board, but some of the things said are gettin redicolus (sp?)... like "i hope he goes down like tupac and biggie?" i mean WTF? and i dont know what that 2nd part is supposed to say? the hype? its due to the porn industry.... so.... dunno how to argue that...

zartan is offline Banned
    i know its discussion board, but some of the things said are gettin redicolus (sp?)... like "i hope he goes down like tupac and biggie?" i mean WTF? and i dont know what that 2nd part is supposed to say? the hype? its due to the porn industry.... so.... dunno how to argue that...
    If you right click a red underlined word it will give spelling suggestions

Lol hows the hype due to the porn industry?

By hype I mean the sensationalized coverage Kimbo Slice is receiving, making main events of what seems like an amateur mma career at this point. I doubt it but he may go somewhere, until then let him earn his way. UFC made the same mistake with Rich Franklin. These organizations get their hands on a marketable fighter and tote him as some kind of demigod before he deserves it. Then he gets his face smashed and people jump off the bandwagon as fast as they jumped on. It makes mma seem more like spectacle then the great sport it trully is.

Blog Entries
    read the article in ESPN the Mag... that will explain the porn thing...

and i used to have that red underlined thingie, but not anymore.. and i have no idea why cause i cant spell big words lol!

but thats how people get into MMA, and UFC... to people who dont know much about it.. .kimbo is their ticket in

zartan is offline Banned
    read the article in ESPN the Mag... that will explain the porn thing...

and i used to have that red underlined thingie, but not anymore.. and i have no idea why cause i cant spell big words lol!

but thats how people get into MMA, and UFC... to people who dont know much about it.. .kimbo is their ticket in
    I read the article and see Kimbo worked as a bodyguard for a porn company, hes a good business man and so on but don't understand where you're going with all that... Honestly it seemed like more unnecessary hype. I wonder how much of a pay off that writer took from EliteXC...

Fordfan01 is offline Member
    i think kimbo has not put in his time in the sport and doesnt deserve to be a main event fight...there are plenty of other fighters out there who have been training for much longer who deserves a chance more than he does. Hes just big money for CBS and EliteXC. Interesting article...http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordfan01 View Post
    i think kimbo has not put in his time in the sport and doesnt deserve to be a main event fight...there are plenty of other fighters out there who have been training for much longer who deserves a chance more than he does. Hes just big money for CBS and EliteXC. Interesting article...http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
    Length of training doesn't make one a great fighter...it makes for a knowledgeable fighter. Being great at any sport requires talent/potential. Sure there are exceptions but the vast majority of exceptional pro athletes are where they are because of ability. There is no denying Kimbo has potential. The only question is, will he realize that potential?

zartan is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordfan01 View Post
    Well said.

Who cares about Kimbo's potential if he hasn't and isn't ready to actualize it, aka hes not a great fighter. But hey, well done on Kimbo's part to market the heck outta himself. He got $175k for beating Tank Abbot, yet Sherk got what was it, $30k for fighting BJ Penn? Definitely seems like a travesty. Its like when Tyson made bank for losing to that Irish nobody boxer. Its not about fighting potential, its about name recognition.

pumpd4lif is offline Senior Member
    Well said.

Who cares about Kimbo's potential if he hasn't and isn't ready to actualize it, aka hes not a great fighter. But hey, well done on Kimbo's part to market the heck outta himself. He got $175k for beating Tank Abbot, yet Sherk got what was it, $30k for fighting BJ Penn? Definitely seems like a travesty. Its like when Tyson made bank for losing to that Irish nobody boxer. Its not about fighting potential, its about name recognition.
    You said a mouthfull my friend.GJ on make real money kimbo.

Fordfan01 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    Length of training doesn't make one a great fighter...it makes for a knowledgeable fighter. Being great at any sport requires talent/potential. Sure there are exceptions but the vast majority of exceptional pro athletes are where they are because of ability. There is no denying Kimbo has potential. The only question is, will he realize that potential?
    i agree with this but still i think he is being given to much at one time to be a new fighter in mma. Its just like in boxing, a new guy might have huge potential but hes not gonna get a main event fight for his third professional fight.

Blog Entries
    kimbo reminds me alot of rocky... a big puncher who has hella talent, and has just started to realize it... and gets a big debut on tv, wins and people are hatin on him....

Gators is offline Banned
    When he fights a real top shelf MMA fighter, he will get destroyed.

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    I don't care for him, but he's doing what he likes and getting paid. Can't fault him for that.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I have taken a shit that looked better than EliteXC. They are a joke and are full of worked fights.
    ***No source checks!!!***

southmadejd is offline Member
    If you reread my post you will notice I mention nothing about being mad at Kimbo, actually I said I like him, and props to him for making such a name out of nothing but a few youtube street fights and a fledgling mma career.
    I wasn't talking about you being mad at Kimbo. I was talking about other people.

zartan is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja View Post
    I have taken a shit that looked better than EliteXC. They are a joke and are full of worked fights.
    http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...o-slice-fight/

In retrospect that fight really did expose kimbo as kind of a poser. He's not a competitor, just a guy with a lot of image based on nothing. James Thompson has had his lights turned off more than a light bulb and he basically was rocking Kimbo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information