pay tribute is offline Junior Member

Anyone here have a computer-related college degree?

I'm in my sophomore year working towards a bachelor's in computer science, and I'm curious of what to expect when I finish.

What exactly do you do?

What's your income (what you made at entry level, and what you make now)?

Do you enjoy it?

Any other insight would be appreciated. Thanks

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    My bro is a director of I.T for he makes 150k a year in nyc.

Blog Entries
    I think carlos makes like 200k or better. He has to, because he eats like a 100k a year.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    No but I stayed at a holiday inn express last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsxxr;401***8
    My bro is a director of I.T for he makes 150k a year in nyc.
    How old is your bro?

Blog Entries
    33 or 34

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Carlos should be able to give you some good info

Coop77 is offline Senior Member
    I have a bachelors in computer science and a masters in math.

Most people with a CS degree go into programming / software engineering. I don't know what starting salaries are like right now, but when I graduated in 2001 it was usually around 50-60k. The offers you get will depend on where you went to school (some are more recruited than others), what your grades were like, and what city you work in. Most of the experienced engineers I work with make in the $80-120k range.

As for the work, it's not for everyone. You have to be able to think very logically and solve problems. If you've always been a "math person" you'll do well. It also helps to be able to deal well with frustration and pressure.

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    Quote Originally Posted by pay tribute View Post
    I'm in my sophomore year working towards a bachelor's in computer science, and I'm curious of what to expect when I finish.

What exactly do you do?

Do you enjoy it?

I have a BS in computer science and 2 diploma One in Oracle and One in Object oriented software technology. I started at 50 k a year.

I am in Canada

VisceralReaction is offline Junior Member
    I dont have a degree related to computers.. but Ive been in software development for 8 years and have been in a management position for about 2 years now. Most degreed engineers who come here as programmers start at around 50-55k, and end up around 65-70k after 4-5 Years. This is in Houston Texas and it's pretty standard pay for this city. It aint no NYC paycheck! but it also aint NYC.. you can get a 4 bedroom house on an acre just out of town for 300k.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I have a Associates in computer science. I hate it, too much math for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I have a Associates in computer science. I hate it, too much math for me.
    What do you do? What sort of math?

Blog Entries
    What do you do? What sort of math?
    I have taken
    Linear algebra (2 diff type of classes if i remember correctly)
    Discrete Math
    Calc1
    calc2

blah blah blah , i F#$@#$ Hated it.

I am going back to school but i am not continuing my C.S degree.
    I don't work in the computer field. Programming was really interesting at first but after all that "new excitement" was over i found it quite boring. Not that it was hard just very very tedious and something i would NEVER do as a career. I learned that i am more of a hands on guy and i now have an outside job which i love.
    Last edited by DSM4Life; 06-05-2008 at 07:49 PM.

No One Knows is offline Senior Member
    I have a degree in comp sci. and one in math. I just graduated in december and I was a bum all spring.

I'm probably going to start my own hosting/consulting firm. I don't like working for people

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member

What exactly do you do?

Do you enjoy it?

Bachelor of Wireless Engineering, concentration in Software
    Master of Software Engineering, Minor in Information Assurance
    Currently a Ph.D. student in Computer Science.

My current work as a research asisstant is doing work with a small firm. We do mainly things for govt. small business contracts. I lead research project, participate in other teams. I can be tasked to do just about anything, some of my classmastes refer to me as the House of medicine lol

My income, no idea, never had a job long enough to know my full time income. Friends who have just the wireless degree are making $75k. And I also have friends with their masters who work for govt. agences who make that. It depends if you go small or big company, and how good you are at what you think you can do.

Do I enjoy it? I would say I am borderline, I prefer to say that I am good at being a software engineer and programmer, the solutions come natural. I don't think I want to be doing it my entire life, id rather restore old motorcycles.

Other insights: Bachelor degrees in vanilla fields like C.S. don't cut it anymore, your're going to need to pursue a gradute program.

BuiltForThis is offline Associate Member
    I graduated with a degree in Computer Information Management. Starting salaries weren't the greatest and I didn't like digging around databases all day so I switched fields. I was able to use the degree to get a job in commercial property management. Much higher starting salary and much more room for growth. I agree with Psychotron that if you plan to stay in the Computer Science field a Masters degree or higher has become a necessity if you wish to make a solid salary and be considered for promotions.

Coop77 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuiltForThis View Post
    I graduated with a degree in Computer Information Management. Starting salaries weren't the greatest and I didn't like digging around databases all day so I switched fields. I was able to use the degree to get a job in commercial property management. Much higher starting salary and much more room for growth. I agree with Psychotron that if you plan to stay in the Computer Science field a Masters degree or higher has become a necessity if you wish to make a solid salary and be considered for promotions.
    I'm surprised to hear you guys say you think a graduate degree is a necessity. In my experience in the IT world, the only time your degree means shit is when you get your first job out of school. After that, nobody cares where you went to school, what degree you have, or if you even graduated. It's all about experience & skills.

T3/T4 GSR is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsxxr View Post
    I think carlos makes like 200k or better. He has to, because he eats like a 100k a year.
    Here in New York it is quite possible. Even the basic shit like food is twice as expensive as most places. Thats why people make big money in the city because you need to spend quite a bit to live there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T3/T4 GSR View Post
    Here in New York it is quite possible. Even the basic shit like food is twice as expensive as most places. Thats why people make big money in the city because you need to spend quite a bit to live there.
    +2 a lot of people don't realize that.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Depends on a lot mostly on your experience and where in IT you decide to go. Unless you are going for a management or higher position in IT a degree will not net you too much more money if any. It's your experience that you have obtained over the years and can prove. I work with a guy that has a phd but because I have experience with many OS like unix, linux, windows......... and everything else that goes with it I make almost $15k more then him.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    +2 a lot of people don't realize that.
    i was making around 80k living in north jersey/nyc and was strapped.

Thats why i moved to dallas. I got the same pay wich in reality is like a huge raise. I'm saving around 10k just in rent

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    my boy is it for the radiology dept of a hospital. Its his first year there and making mid 70's

10nispro is offline Productive Member
    My father in law has been the computer business for 26+yrs and my wife deals with all fascades of the computer/IT industry. She says Cisco is the way to go. She knows what she is talking about. Two years ago she had the largest one time sale for lenovo laptops in lenovo's history.(sold 5000 in one shot). I can check with her to let you know whats the best route. I also play tennis with a guy that can't hire fast enough. His dad was involved with the bar coding system thats used in all airports and owns several hotels. I believe the companies name is enta(I will check on that)

Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10nispro View Post
    My father in law has been the computer business for 26+yrs and my wife deals with all fascades of the computer/IT industry. She says Cisco is the way to go. She knows what she is talking about. Two years ago she had the largest one time sale for lenovo laptops in lenovo's history.(sold 5000 in one shot). I can check with her to let you know whats the best route. I also play tennis with a guy that can't hire fast enough. His dad was involved with the bar coding system thats used in all airports and owns several hotels. I believe the companies name is enta(I will check on that)
    Im currently studying the Cisco CCNA, i know its the first step, but im only studying it while i work in the fire dept so i can hopefully get a job as a junior network engineer when i pass for about the same pay as im on now. 27k (sterling).... Ill even take a pay cut of 5k to get in the job once i have my cert... i was thinking of (if i get the CCNA) going on to do the CCNP before looking for work, but i really want out of my job, so ill cross that bridge when i get to it.

I always have my eye on the London UK market and there are tens of thousands of jobs out there.... from what i read of the recruiters adds, they take anyone whos qualified for many jobs as there just arent enough people to fill the void..... (really hoping im one of those void fillers)

The rate in teh uk ive noticed for a CCNA is about 22-27k (sterling) and for a CCNP its about 28-38k... yeah its all depending on company and job role etc but those rates are just for a network engineer.

My Main idea was to get a few years experience and maybe do contract work from place to place while continuing studying and when between contracts living in Texas (money goes a lot further in the US)
    I think the hourly rate for a contract Network engineer with a CCNP can range from about 20-45 sterling per hour (in the UK) depending on role etc

I thought about doing a degree but because of the way the market looks ive decided to hold off it and perhaps do something in UNIX instead.

Not sure what the rates are in the US. Ive noticed monster dont advertise pay rates on jobs in the states as they do in the UK, dont know why? but id assume that the rate is a little lower

Thread Information