UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member

Out of State transactions

Hi guys,

I need some advice on how to process the transaction of the car sale to a different state.

I got the car.
    I got the buyer.
    I need to ship the car.
    I got the title.
    I need to receive the payment.
    I need to transfer the title.

I am not sure as I never did it. How to receive the payment and what method. How and when to transfer the title. How to make everything formal and secured.

I know there is a lot of smart guys out there and have done it before.

I need to hear this from the people that did it and know how to do it from experience not from what they heard.

Thank you!

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    You the seller of the car ? You better be careful with payments man.

1down5up is offline Associate Member
    Is the person coming to look at the car? If so take cash for it. If not tell him to pay by bank wire. Then sign the title over to them and have the car picked up by transport company.

tommy0677 is offline Associate Member
    I'm not in the US but the first thing I would do is to receive payment by bank wire transfer or certified cheque and wait for the money to clear before doing a title transfer, that way if something happens you have a neat legit paper trail. The days of "cash is king" are now long gone except in the grey or darker areas ha ha.

Also, is the buyer arranging the transport? You could always call a local DMV branch and get more info also on out of state title transfers?

RangersLTW is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Bill of sale with a witness. I would use a cashiers check and get all the banks information, call them up make sure they are legit, then do the transfer. Might sound like a hassle to the guy but at least you want get shafted. I sell and buy guns online at work and that is the only way I do it, I also use paypal if the dealer has that set up.

gst528i is offline Senior Member
    Okay i have a dealership so maybe i can put an insight.

1. No matter what do not accept a cashier's check, a bank will verify it to be legitamate but has the right to take back the funds if later found to be insufficent or scam.
    2. If you are going to sell it to another state buyer, try to get him to to come to you with cash and than together you can deal with shipping.
    3. I would even fly down there to do the transfer tittle to his name after cash received if that is an option and if it's worth the price you are selling your car.
    4. If you even feel that somethings not right, just alittle feeling DO NOT GO THROUGH.
    WITH IT.
    5. Go to the state dmv that the vehicle is going to and print out a tranfer title form. Both buyer and seller will sign.
    6. tear the top of the title off and send it with the form printed from the dmv website from YOUR STATE that basically says you are no longer responsible for any criminal activity in which this vehicle would be involved as you as no longer the owner. Some people run toll before title is transfered or they never transfer it and you get stuck with the bill.

Any questions?

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gst528i View Post
    Okay i have a dealership so maybe i can put an insight.

Any questions?
    Perfect answers!

This is exactly what I needed, detail by detail.

Thank you for your time!

gst528i is offline Senior Member
    welcome n good luck.

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    I've used them before when i bought cars from New york, arizona or texas and got them shipped to CA.
    http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

B4ckfire479 is offline Junior Member
    OP good luck on getting a smooth sale of your car. If it goes well, then that's good.

Thread Information