Thread: Finding a Job

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries

Question Finding a Job

What are some ways you guy find jobs???

I have used all the job board like Monster Career builder and Hotjobs. But after a week or 2 of looking there still the same shit posted. Also most of the are throw staffing companies.

So what other methods are you used and have been successful with????

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    best method I ever had was showing up to a place of employment and finding out the HR lady's name. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but you must ask yourself, is this job worth it? Charisma goes far with the Human Resource lady. I never had much luck with resumes on job sites, but my Ex always landed good jobs that way. I'll ask her where she submitted her resume.

Grappler13 is offline Productive Member

Network, Cold Call, Warm Call

Friends like to hire friends of friends or at minimum, people who come recommended by others so I'd get the word out to everyone you know that you're looking.

If you get a lead that way, try and get an introduction and ask for a lunch with someone in the field you're seeking employment, even if they're not hiring: you can get great information from these people and ALWAYS send thank you notes

Worst, and can be best case, research the companies with whom you want to work via cold call informational digging and then call the President, VP, etc.... and ask for an interview.

Ultimately, you are selling yourself so I've always found that a sales based method is the best way to get started.

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    I agree. when I am searching, I tell EVERYONE. sometimes when ya tell people, they will say "oh, I know so and so is hiring, I heard thats a great place to work".

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Just show up at where you want to work and ask for the manager. Introduce yourself etc. Have a resume handy. When you hit HR with his/her name behind you it's all good. That's worked for me! And yeah, putting the word out: always good.

Overhaulz is offline Associate Member
    Yep, always hit up the HR manager, and LOOK GOOD. Be completely prepared for interview on the spot if you're resume is perfect for the job. Practice all of your interview responses for the typical questions that are asked.

Most importantly have a good two minute or so response for the first question most interviews ask: "Why don't you tell me about yourself." This is your time to BRAG about yourself! Do it well. I've interview countless people that I asked this and they were completely unprepared.

Guess who didn't get hired?

SVTmuscle is offline Gsxxr's Bitch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTmuscle;404***1
    I have it.

I wanted to hear what other people have done in the past. What works for one my not for an other.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsxxr View Post
    I have it.

I wanted to hear what other people have done in the past. What works for one my not for an other.
    that book would be 10000% more beneficial then asking forum members

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    craigslist too. I had a few interviews off of there

BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if this applies to your field, but...

Get the interviewer to talk about himself and his company. Ask questions that show you're interested in what THEY do. This is RULE #1. Therapists know that their job is to ask the perceptive question that lets YOU talk about yourself. Success in the bars is the same thing: get her to talk about herself and just nod and agree.

The interviewer who spent the whole iterview talking about himself will come away thinking that you're the best interviewee he's ever seen.

Good luck with the job search.

-BigLittleTim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTmuscle View Post
    that book would be 10000% more beneficial then asking forum members
    Nice you just shit on everyone on the form and you call them your friends.

pure dick

Nice you just shit on everyone on the form and you call them your friends.

pure dick

Grappler13 is offline Productive Member

Truly the essence of good sales :)

Quote Originally Posted by BigLittleTim View Post
    I don't know if this applies to your field, but...

Get the interviewer to talk about himself and his company. Ask questions that show you're interested in what THEY do. This is RULE #1. Therapists know that their job is to ask the perceptive question that lets YOU talk about yourself. Success in the bars is the same thing: get her to talk about herself and just nod and agree.

The interviewer who spent the whole iterview talking about himself will come away thinking that you're the best interviewee he's ever seen.

Good luck with the job search.

-BigLittleTim
    Exactly. When you're interviewing, let the interviewer talk talk talk. Resist the urge to speak and when you do get to ask questions, make them open ended so the interviewer will just talk YOU into the job

Pac Man is offline Senior Member
    Work is sucking lately, I'm a personal trainer and since the economy has taken a shit I'm all but out of a Job with only a select few individuals being able to afford personal training these days.
    I'm going to start working in the oil fields, ****ers are making enough money on us paying for it I might as well skim some off the top.

wilson9d is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately the only way to find a good job is by knowing someone.

jsinur7 is offline Member
    i'm studying for the national persoanl training accredation, and just got a side job at a tanning salon... talk about having the hot women come to you... it's better then even when i was a bartender at the most popular bar in town and i cleaned up there... if you want hot ladies out the rear, get a side job at a tanning salon if they'll hire you... most only hire women...

WEBB is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    what kinda job you lookin for...ill hire you up here if you wanna work in the oilfield...

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Be good at your current job, so that headhunters/recruiters call you.

And what wilson said.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnstHatAngst View Post
    Just show up at where you want to work and ask for the manager. Introduce yourself etc. Have a resume handy. When you hit HR with his/her name behind you it's all good. That's worked for me!
    Very good advice. I also recommend closing with the phrase "this is a nice place you have here, it would be a shame if something happened to it..."

Pac Man is offline Senior Member
    I second that advice by Ernst, I did that at a hospital once and got a job even when they weren't hiring. All depends on what kind of work you're trying to get

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Get off your lazy ass and get out there meeting people.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WEBB View Post
    what kinda job you lookin for...ill hire you up here if you wanna work in the oilfield...
    I would be a rough neck in a hart beat.

I would be a rough neck in a hart beat.
    well i am not on rigs...i come in after the rig is done and make the gas and oil flow into vessles and pipelines and calibrate the equipment that makes accurate accounts of the volumes...its super easy and we make more....

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Work for KBR in Iraq!
    ***No source checks!!!***

Blog Entries
    well i am not on rigs...i come in after the rig is done and make the gas and oil flow into vessles and pipelines and calibrate the equipment that makes accurate accounts of the volumes...its super easy and we make more....
    I will just live with you. If i was to try and sell my house to move right now i would take a 100k loss. ****ing market.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Well this is actually applicable for anyone, not just students.

Find someone who goes to a general or ivy league university. They have on campus job administrators who do NOTHING but gather the best jobs from all around the area. Out of anywhere I've ever looked, and I've looked everywhere, this was the best route I ever found.

My university tosses out long lists for parttime and fulltime jobs every 2 weeks. And they do an outstanding job putting the lists together.
    Again this is not just for graduating students.
    They are jobs for everyone. When I got my job I just told the owner I got it through the MU mail list.

Find a university by you and get a list from someone who goes there or you may even be able to go to the office and get it yourself.
    Highly recommend this because of all the effort they put filtering out all the shit jobs.

I will just live with you. If i was to try and sell my house to move right now i would take a 100k loss. ****ing market.
    ya for sure....my company pays for half my mortgage so you are more than welcome...plus you get a company truck and cell phone...full benifits and everything....wanna start july 1st...lol

bigt10 is offline Member
    ya for sure....my company pays for half my mortgage so you are more than welcome...plus you get a company truck and cell phone...full benifits and everything....wanna start july 1st...lol
    you guys hire licensed plumbers and gas/steam fitters?

But to work on the Oil out west in canada even if your licensed do you gotta work at some random small town lol?

I knew one guy he was lucky he was a steam fitter down in lethbridge he said it was a really nice warm place and not to far from the states or calgary.

But i love the west coast i have been there before. BC and AB are beautiful.

bigt10 is offline Member
    Your best bet to get in is with a freind.

Have you gone to school for something specific or have alot of experience with anything?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigt10 View Post
    Your best bet to get in is with a freind.

Have you gone to school for something specific or have alot of experience with anything?
    Im going back to school for mechanical engineering. Im only like 8 month in at this point. But my back ground is in high performance automotive and mechanical engineering. The problem is a lot of companies want my background to me in manufacturing for engineering.

I have had quit a few job offers in the west coast. But my wife and i went there for a month and hated it.

Thread Information