midnight777 is offline Associate Member

what would you do???

yesterday... I sent a western union using my check debit card at the grocery store to pay a bill thru western union quick collect. I sent 418.00 with a 4.50 charge, so total was 422.50. I just checked my bank statement and the girl charged my card 42.50. She left off a 2. I am wondering what to do? should I wait and see if they fix it, because right now I only have the authorization for the 42.50...

jsinur7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight777 View Post
    yesterday... I sent a western union using my check debit card at the grocery store to pay a bill thru western union quick collect. I sent 418.00 with a 4.50 charge, so total was 422.50. I just checked my bank statement and the girl charged my card 42.50. She left off a 2. I am wondering what to do? should I wait and see if they fix it, because right now I only have the authorization for the 42.50...
    the longer you wait the bigger hassle it will be... but i'd say just email the bill collector tell of the mistake, and resend the rest would be easiest..

actually id wait to see what shows up at the other end... maybe they just charged you too little.. let them find the mistake...

what happened was the girl at the grocery store only charged my card 42.50 instead of 422.50... she left off a 2.. my bill collector got the 418.00 dollars...

if it showed up on the otherside, i'd do the right thing and go to th store and tell her... something like that could cost her her job, not tomention additional fees for you for more paperwork etc... in some states it can be concidered stealing...

I am going to see what happens... maybe next week. I will go down there,...

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    Your bill collector recieved his payment in full, you were only charged 42.50. The way I look at it is that it was the grocery store's fault. I would let it pass and see what happens. Hold onto the money in your account for a few weeks and see what happens.

well... I called western union.. They told me everything went thru and to call the grocery store.. well I called the grocery store. and the store manger was off and this other manager could not help out. He said Federal Law prohibts him fron talking about western unions over the phone.. Now I am thinking of not even bothering about this... ughhhh

CheddaNips is offline Senior Member
    i would leave it alone. But then again i am a terrible person

**** em now... you tried..

bigt10 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight777 View Post
    well... I called western union.. They told me everything went thru and to call the grocery store.. well I called the grocery store. and the store manger was off and this other manager could not help out. He said Federal Law prohibts him fron talking about western unions over the phone.. Now I am thinking of not even bothering about this... ughhhh
    so its their own ignorance let them kill it.

pull the same shit on them when they call you now.

don't you guys remeber the Seinfeld with the cable guy?/?
    one of my favorite episodes of all time!

JuiceGirl311 is offline Junior Member
    What goes around comes around.........do the right thing.

OpusX is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JuiceGirl311 View Post
    What goes around comes around.........do the right thing.
    good advice!

yeah.. I was going to go down there yesterday and talk with whoever.. But they kind of blew me off. The guy acted like he did not care. I came to the conclusion, I will let them worry about it. If they want their money they can fix it. I tried and it seems like this will be some mess. The thing was the western union, I went to was not even close to where I live. I just stopped there on the way home from work. Yesterday was the only free time I have. So in other words. I will see what happens. Atleast I know I tried to fix it...

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    monopoly says : bank error in your favor, collect $400

if they find the mystake, the'll just charge your card the additional, not fire the girl, geez. Against the law in some states??? cause they f-ed up??? huh?

yeah but to be honest.. I doubt they will be able to charge me again.. I used my debit card they would need my pin. plus the 42.25 authorization already cleared so they would have to charge me the remaining balance which I would have to authorize. I just think they will right it off as a loss, but when they need their money I will be happy to pay them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    monopoly says : bank error in your favor, collect $400

if they find the mystake, the'll just charge your card the additional, not fire the girl, geez. Against the law in some states??? cause they f-ed up??? huh?
    it's no different then if you find extra money in your account in the bank.. if you dont bring it up they can press charges on you for fraud... it is equivelant to stealing... doesn't matter who's fault it is... and if you dont think they'll fire a girl for a 400 dollar discrepancy(sp?) you must live in beverley hills where thats pocket change... i seen people get fired for 20 bucks...

by law if you find money and you dont turn it in it's stealing... otherwise everyone can just say I FOUND IT... same situation different circumstance...

A debit card can go thru as a credit card transaction, their bank fee is just slightly higher and they won't need your pin. They can credit card charge you without your permission or signature. The reason they take sig's is in case you dispute it, which you wouldn't because they have proof they transfered that amount to the other end of the wire transfer.

People get fired for $20 bucks, yeah if they steal it. It was a slip of her finger, and like I said they could get the money if they knew why it was missing.

When it comes to the law, it's simple, there is no criminal action or intent to commit one and there is no way to prove you knew there was an error. If you buy a candy bar and the cashier gives you back a penny extra but you don't look at the change, is it a crime too?

I have heard of people getting in trouble for bank errors, but it always involved like a mystake of 100,000 dollars or something in a checking account where their usual balance is like $300. Then instead of leaving the money in the account while the bank figures out their mystake, the people withdawl all the money, so it's obvious they are trying to keep money they know doesn't belong to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    I have heard of people getting in trouble for bank errors, but it always involved like a mystake of 100,000 dollars or something in a checking account where their usual balance is like $300. Then instead of leaving the money in the account while the bank figures out their mystake, the people withdawl all the money, so it's obvious they are trying to keep money they know doesn't belong to them.
    same situation here... 400 aint pocket change..

as for the girl getting fired... a slip of th finger that cost 400 dollars is a mistake they wont let happen again.. stealing or not, thats not a slap on the wrist..

Quote Originally Posted by jsinur7 View Post
    same situation here... 400 aint pocket change..
    yeah, but prove I know there was an error..."I didn't look at the slip."

her manager should have caught it at the end of the shift when things didn't balance, shit happens at work, people make mystakes. Bank tellers usually have a certain allowance for errors because of this.

guess it all depends on the company and the understanding of it's management... here in jersey... aint no leeway.. espescially in banks...

g0dsend is offline Member
    Just dont do anything . If they ask, tell them that the amount intended was 42 dollars, not 412 and the cashier messed up. Dont know if it would work but if I was in that situation thats what I would do.

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    just dont pick up the phone when they call. Id run and be happy.

Thread Information