beatango2008 is offline Senior Member

Unhappy For those of you that have had or have back problems I need advice

Okay so here it is, about 7-8 weeks ago I was lifting in the gym and I herniated a disk.

I just came back from the Doctor with my MRI's and this is what I have.

L5-S1: There is a diffuse disc bulge with superimposed broad-based central,
    paracentral/subarticular, and foraminal disc herniation that extends 0.4 cm
    beyond the endplate margin.
    There is Severe crowding of the proximal exiting left L5 and descending left S1
    nerve root.

So my Doctor wants me to go see this surgon and talk to him and he said I will probably have to get surgery.
    I asked him if he thought seeing a chiro was a good idea and he said no,
    because there is a liquid that squirted out when I bulged my disk and he said if the chiro tries to pop it back into place it could release more liquid creating more of a problem. Another one of my problems is I don't have insurance and I didnt injure myself on the job it was at the gym so I have to pay for this all out of my pocket, I just want to know if you guys think it would be best to get the surgery or not, I also don't want to give up lifting alot of people have been telling me that I may have to retire from the gym...what do you guys think?

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    Quote Originally Posted by beatango2008 View Post
    Okay so here it is, about 7-8 weeks ago I was lifting in the gym and I herniated a disk.

I just came back from the Doctor with my MRI's and this is what I have.

L5-S1: There is a diffuse disc bulge with superimposed broad-based central,
    paracentral/subarticular, and foraminal disc herniation that extends 0.4 cm
    beyond the endplate margin.
    There is Severe crowding of the proximal exiting left L5 and descending left S1
    nerve root.

So my Doctor wants me to go see this surgon and talk to him and he said I will probably have to get surgery.
    I asked him if he thought seeing a chiro was a good idea and he said no,
    because there is a liquid that squirted out when I bulged my disk and he said if the chiro tries to pop it back into place it could release more liquid creating more of a problem. Another one of my problems is I don't have insurance and I didnt injure myself on the job it was at the gym so I have to pay for this all out of my pocket, I just want to know if you guys think it would be best to get the surgery or not, I also don't want to give up lifting alot of people have been telling me that I may have to retire from the gym...what do you guys think?

I would get a second opinion...It involves lot of Money I am guessing cause health care is free in canada so I dont know how much it will cost.

beatango2008 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah but the only problem with that is, I have to dish out another $150 on every doctor visit...

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    This is why I have a job,

You're gonna need to get some insurance. Can't say for sure without seeing the MRI myself, but you are prolly looking at a posterior discectomy minimum. Possibly a fusion. If your surgeon talks about fusion, find out about arthroplasty also just to see if that's something you would rather do. Surgeon opinion on the subject is very polorized though. Yeah, a chiro isn't going to help you in this case.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    tough call since you don't have insurance/cash.

My advise would be to get a second opinion which should help you in deciding what you should do.

Kratos I got your xray from our sleepover:

I told you never fall sleep first !

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    haha, I've heard of way stranger things stuck in someone's ass removed by people I know. I'll get you back dsm, I've got my eye on the umbrella in the corner.

Thread Information