scribbs12 is offline Member

Common law Marriage?

I have been searching the net... but really cant find information on if you share a bank account... I dont live with my girl but we been together for 4 years... i know that it states if you live together and carry each other as "husband and wife" that means you are married by common law in texas.. but does anyone know if you have a bank account together will the make you "married"
    thanks.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    if you dont live together nothing else matters

how long do you have to live together before its considered a marriage?... one of my friends told me if she had any sort of statements going to my house for a period of time.. that could make us "married" ..i think we have had an bank account together for about a year now..

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    What I found with a search:

THE MYTH: There is a common misperception that if you live together for a certain length of time (seven years is what many people believe), you are common-law married. This is not true anywhere in the United States.
    STATES THAT RECOGNIZE COMMON LAW MARRIAGE:
    Only a few states recognize common law marriages:
    Alabama
    Colorado
    Georgia (if created before 1/1/97)
    Idaho (if created before 1/1/96)
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Montana
    New Hampshire (for inheritance purposes only)
    Ohio (if created before 10/10/91)
    Oklahoma (possibly only if created before 11/1/98. Oklahoma's laws and court decisions may be in conflict about whether common law marriages formed in that state after 11/1/98 will be recognized.)
    Pennsylvania (if created before 1/1/05)
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    Texas
    Utah
    Washington, D.C.
    IF YOU LIVE IN A STATE THAT DOES RECOGNIZE COMMON LAW MARRIAGE: If you live in one of the above states and you "hold yourself out to be married" (by telling the community you are married, calling each other husband and wife, using the same last name, filing joint income tax returns, etc.), you can have a common law marriage (for more information on the specific requirements of each state, see next page). Common law marriage makes you a legally married couple in every way, even though you never obtained a marriage license. If you choose to end your relationship, you must get a divorce, even though you never had a wedding. Legally, common law married couples must play by all the same rules as "regular" married couples. If you live in one of the common law states and don't want your relationship to become a common law marriage, you must be clear that it is your intention not to marry. The attorneys who wrote Living Together (additional information below) recommend an agreement in writing that both partners sign and date: "Jane Smith and John Doe agree as follows: That they've been and plan to continue living together as two free, independent beings and that neither has ever intended to enter into any form of marriage, common law or otherwise."

For your state:

Texas: A man and woman who want to establish a common-law marriage must sign a form provided by the county clerk. In addition, they must (1) agree to be married, (2) cohabit, and (3) represent to others that they are married.

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    i live in PA and there is no longer a common law marrige
    source checks- 200 posts and 6 month membership min. entirely within my discretion
    PT is a fictional character and all posts are for entertainment purposes only.

mex83 is offline " I Can Make Your Days And Nights Look Like Fantasy "
    Blog Entries
    that is all suck balls man.... just go to mexico and get married and forget all this bull lol.

BadBarbie is offline Banned
    One8nine and I live together and we have a bank account together but we aren't considered married. BUt i'm in FL not TX

i'm just curious because my friend a "girl" just broke up with her man.. and they have been living together for a few years... she payed for everything and even the house..they were never married.. but considered married.. she just got served like 2 months ago... my girl friend and i just broke up on jul 8th.. after 4 years .. but anyways... i was just worried that should could serve me.. and take half of what i already dont have lol... but thanks for the info guys...

gst528i is offline Senior Member
    good to know u have to have a form filled out in texas. I'm going to let my boy know this info. His gurl tried to threatn him when she left him for some days about taking have his shyt..

Chitown Raider is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnstHatAngst View Post
    What I found with a search:

THE MYTH: There is a common misperception that if you live together for a certain length of time (seven years is what many people believe), you are common-law married. This is not true anywhere in the United States.
    STATES THAT RECOGNIZE COMMON LAW MARRIAGE:
    Only a few states recognize common law marriages:
    Alabama
    Colorado
    Georgia (if created before 1/1/97)
    Idaho (if created before 1/1/96)
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Montana
    New Hampshire (for inheritance purposes only)
    Ohio (if created before 10/10/91)
    Oklahoma (possibly only if created before 11/1/98. Oklahoma's laws and court decisions may be in conflict about whether common law marriages formed in that state after 11/1/98 will be recognized.)
    Pennsylvania (if created before 1/1/05)
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    Texas
    Utah
    Washington, D.C.
    IF YOU LIVE IN A STATE THAT DOES RECOGNIZE COMMON LAW MARRIAGE: If you live in one of the above states and you "hold yourself out to be married" (by telling the community you are married, calling each other husband and wife, using the same last name, filing joint income tax returns, etc.), you can have a common law marriage (for more information on the specific requirements of each state, see next page). Common law marriage makes you a legally married couple in every way, even though you never obtained a marriage license. If you choose to end your relationship, you must get a divorce, even though you never had a wedding. Legally, common law married couples must play by all the same rules as "regular" married couples. If you live in one of the common law states and don't want your relationship to become a common law marriage, you must be clear that it is your intention not to marry. The attorneys who wrote Living Together (additional information below) recommend an agreement in writing that both partners sign and date: "Jane Smith and John Doe agree as follows: That they've been and plan to continue living together as two free, independent beings and that neither has ever intended to enter into any form of marriage, common law or otherwise."

For your state:

Texas: A man and woman who want to establish a common-law marriage must sign a form provided by the county clerk. In addition, they must (1) agree to be married, (2) cohabit, and (3) represent to others that they are married.
    Thanks for the info!!! I know this *sshole who lives with this girl and he is under the impression they are married because they have been roomates for the past few years and dated for about 6 before that.

Thread Information