Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking of joining the military! Need advise!

Alright so i wanna join either the army or marines. I got my GED @ 17yrs old and am currently 18 yrs old. Im stuck between 2 part time jobs, 1 of which lets me keep my seniority If i leave for the military.

One problem, i got a car that im payin 450 a month for with a co-signer. im also upside down on it as well by a few thousand. And my parents co signed so if i just got up and left then the car would be there problem which i dont wanna do to them. Can the military some how assist me with that?

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    for starters I'll move this to the lounge...

oops, my bad big. meant to put it in the lounge

3v1lj03 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtball_619 View Post
    Alright so i wanna join either the army or marines. I got my GED @ 17yrs old and am currently 18 yrs old. Im stuck between 2 part time jobs, 1 of which lets me keep my seniority If i leave for the military.

One problem, i got a car that im payin 450 a month for with a co-signer. im also upside down on it as well by a few thousand. And my parents co signed so if i just got up and left then the car would be there problem which i dont wanna do to them. Can the military some how assist me with that?
    You can set up a disbursement after you are in to pay that payment automatically. However if I were you I would do my best to save at least two payments cause the disbursement won't start till the following month. Also you should consider the Navy for a more technical job. The Army has some good education too but keep your head about yourself when talking to recruiters cause there is not much call for infantry or forward lookouts in the civilian world. Don't join the Marines unless you just want to be a hard ass.

Well i hate to admit but my education level is pretty low i think compared to most and what it takes to be in the navy.

Cool though thanks 3v1 ive been wanting to know that because im sure there are many in my situation

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Navy SEALs or

Army Green Berets

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Why do you wanna join? The new GI Bill is the shit by the way...

RangersLTW is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum
    What kind of job do you want to do? You should go int the infantry first or at least one with a low promotion points. Get your rank up fast and get some college out the way. Then if you decide to stay in you can reenlist for a better MOS that will carry into the civilian world. I would go with BigSexy reamark though, training is the best but I wouldn't do navy seals, great training but I don't believe they see much action. I read a few things about them and it said that in a twenty year enlistment only 1% see action. It could have been wrong though better ask someone that has got the shirt and coffee cup.

because im not really happy with my current situation. over the past 6 months i got rid of all my old "friends" because there into drugs and alcohol. so basically my life consists of working 2 part time jobs i dont really care for and the gym. then i come home and spend time on the computer. every day.....

i feel like im wasting the best years of my life and i would really like to get out into the world. Currently im pretty depressed with my situation.

To be complety honest I would tell you to just go to college, but if you are completly sure of joining the military I will help anyway I can.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    because im not really happy with my current situation. over the past 6 months i got rid of all my old "friends" because there into drugs and alcohol. so basically my life consists of working 2 part time jobs i dont really care for and the gym. then i come home and spend time on the computer. every day.....

i feel like im wasting the best years of my life and i would really like to get out into the world. Currently im pretty depressed with my situation.
    If that is your only reason. i would alteast do a semester or 2 at community college. you might make some new friends and figure out more what you want.

hotpink is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    If that is your only reason. i would alteast do a semester or 2 at community college. you might make some new friends and figure out more what you want.
    yeah I would say try this first, and then if you still aren't happy go for it

3v1lj03 is offline Junior Member

No matter what you do in the military it will change the way you think and see things. I don't know anything about you but if you stick it out in whatever branch you join it will change you and teach you things people who have never served cannot understand. Just don't quit if you join. Everyone I have meet who dropped out regrets quitting. You should try the Navy just take the test see how you do. I don't mean seals either. I like the advice the guy gave you about the Army and reenlisting for a better MOS but you have to think if you want to make that kind of time commitment. IF you join now at 18 you can retire when your 38 think about that.

I would have loved to go to college, even a community college. but with my sceduale between my 2 jobs its not possible. and i cant miss a payment.

the army has a 20k sign on bonus i was reading about until september 30th so im probably gonna talk to a recruiter tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies peeps!

Quote Originally Posted by RangersLTW View Post
    To be complety honest I would tell you to just go to college, but if you are completly sure of joining the military I will help anyway I can.

If I could do it over again I would have stuck with college for sure. Go to a junior college, transfer to a university, and enjoy the best years of your life.

I would have loved to go to college, even a community college. but with my sceduale between my 2 jobs its not possible. and i cant miss a payment.

the army has a 20k sign on bonus i was reading about until september 30th so im probably gonna talk to a recruiter tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies peeps!
    Whats your work schedule like? My best friend works 3 jobs and is still a full time student. They offer night and weekend classes at most cc. Just sayin

3am-10am mon-friday at ups

2pm-9pm mon-friday at the diner as well as 8 am till 3pm saturday and sunday

Skully44420 is offline "A Work in Progress"
    i say do what you feel is right...maybe try college for a semester or so just to see how you feel about it...but i understand that with 2 jobs that would be very time consuming...but if you just come home and sit on the computer after work..couldn't you spend that time studying?...and if you don't like it join the military...i personally wish i would have joined the service when i was your age...but i was stubborn and was too busy partying...and now i'm paying for it...but it is a good thing that you realize you want more for your life...i'm sure whatever decision you make will be good in the long run

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    agreed. college/university life is great.

Damnnnn thats a tough schedule. All I could say would be to maybe try to find a better job, but I know thats hard these days. You could do weekend night classes, but I think you would be way too exhausted. At least I would be.

First of all, get rid of that damn $450 a month payment you have. There is no reason an 18 year old should be working over 80 hours a week. Are you supporting your family? Give school a try, if you dont like it, then you can join the military. If you give the military a try and dont like it, theres not much you can do.

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536 View Post
    First of all, get rid of that damn $450 a month payment you have. There is no reason an 18 year old should be working over 80 hours a week. Are you supporting your family? Give school a try, if you dont like it, then you can join the military. If you give the military a try and dont like it, theres not much you can do.
    agreed.

i was in the same situation. bought a nice new truck atage 19 and had to struggle with 600 dollar a month payments on it plus go to school.

it broke my heart but i ended up selling the truck and getting a cheap car.

now i have no car payments, tuition fully paid for for 3rd year and only 1600 on my credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536 View Post
    18! I didn't notice that. You can get financial aid too. I got a pell grant and went to school for free.

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    Alright so i wanna join either the army or marines. One problem, i got a car that im payin 450 a month for with a co-signer. Can the military some how assist me with that?
    I'm gonna jump in here and give you a no-shitter, because IMO you're looking to join the military for the wrong reason. Join the military because you want to join the military, not because you need help with your car payments.

If you're really interested in becoming a soldier or a Marine, you'd better consider the strong possiblity that you may be sent to either Iraq or Afghanistan. Marines are at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to equipment, funding, and advancement in rank. Having served as a Navy corpsman with a Recon platoon, I would not recommend the Marines. And let me say as someone who has been to BUD/S, that from your posts (and you saying you're not very smart and depressed) you wouldn't last a day in INDOC, let alone a day in 1st Phase.

Sorry for the rough treatment, but you REALLY need to reconsider the military. If you don't like college you can quit at any time. If you don't like the military, you're fvcked until your enlistment ends.

You need to look at your college opportunities. Investigate financial aid (grants and loans). At worst, a federal education loan is something that you'll have to pay back after graduating, but you can use the money to help w/ your car payment while you work towards your degree at the same time.

BlInDsIdE is offline "ARs Most Dangerous Member"
    military has alot of great opportunities out there u just gotta find what is being offered. and its not a decision to b taken lightly- u can't just up and leave, i'd go 2 college first and see how u like that. theres plenty of loans u could look in2 for college also if ur worried about the money. feel free 2 pm me if u have ?s on the army.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAR View Post
    I'm gonna jump in here and give you a no-shitter, because IMO you're looking to join the military for the wrong reason. Join the military because you want to join the military, not because you need help with your car payments.

If you're really interested in becoming a soldier or a Marine, you'd better consider the strong possiblity that you may be sent to either Iraq or Afghanistan. Marines are at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to equipment, funding, and advancement in rank. Having served as a Navy corpsman with a Recon platoon, I would not recommend the Marines. And let me say as someone who has been to BUD/S, that from your posts (and you saying you're not very smart and depressed) you wouldn't last a day in INDOC, let alone a day in 1st Phase.

Sorry for the rough treatment, but you REALLY need to reconsider the military. If you don't like college you can quit at any time. If you don't like the military, you're fvcked until your enlistment ends.

You need to look at your college opportunities. Investigate financial aid (grants and loans). At worst, a federal education loan is something that you'll have to pay back after graduating, but you can use the money to help w/ your car payment while you work towards your degree at the same time.

Who really can determine what the right and wrong reasons are? I have a good friend who decided to join the Army, 4 years ago, because his parents had kicked him out of his house, he was living with his grandmother, and he basically had nowheres to live, no money, no skill set, and didn't feel he was either intelligent or motivated enough to pursue college.

Lets face it, and some people like to deny this, but for many people joining the military is a last resort, and they probably couldn't have cut it doing anything else but menial low paying jobs in the civilian world. I am of course mostly speaking of enlisted men (infantry) mostly. The military is also an option for people who may be facing a jail sentence and want to avoid going to trial and possibly doing time.

There are of course certain MOS's that have highly skilled and educated people, as I've looked into this heavily as a way to pay for medical school.

I think his reasons for joining are perfectly legitimate. There are few people who pursue the military as a career, but I would say that is the exception rather then the norm. The kid is basically using the military as a last resort, as many many many people do. I see the same type of people who express a desire to be a cop, if they dont make it in college or some other pursuit of theirs, they say "well im just gonna goto the police academy and be a cop"(thats why so many of them are stupid fu*ks).

My overall point is, that many people have a host of motivations and reasons for doing a particular thing in life. Far be it from me to judge those reasons and say whether they are the right or wrong ones. Dirtball, if that is what you can see yourself doing, and you have a desire to do it, I say more power to you. You'll figure it out on your own without us here. We can tell you all day till we're blue in the face to do this or do that, but its up to you at the end of the day...

Voice of Reason is offline Senior Member
    You'll get a more positive and rewarding experience with being in the Peace Corps.

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=learn

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Who really can determine what the right and wrong reasons are?
    For starters, someone who has actually been in the military.

Your examples of people who are destitute, legally obliged, or have no prospects other than the military are a far cry from an 18-year-old who works two part-time jobs to make their $450/month car payments. The types of people you described don't have $450/month to make car payments, let alone have a car.

The only thing you said that I agree with is that ultimately, it is his choice. There's nothing wrong with a shot of reality from those with military experience and my experience has shown me that those who join because they really want to have far more enjoyable and productive enlistments than those who are worried about making their car payments. The guy has admitted that he's no rocket scientist - what type of MOS is he going to qualify for? Kind of hard to enjoy your $450/month car when you're on watch from 0000-0400 after an 8 hour patrol in Fallujah...

BTW, someone with an avatar of a soldier sporting oil company patches giving advice about the military is FUBAR.

importeater91 is offline Member
    first off the military doesnt pay well at all. you having a 450 car bill is gonna really tighten up ur budget, that like one pay check. if your really serious about going to the military, you gotta think on what you want to do. also is it gonna help you get a job in the civilian world if u dont retire in the military. joining the military just for sign on bonuses is just ridiculous IMO. join because you want to not for the money. dont let someone steer you to a particular one. im in the marines so im obvously gonna favor them. in the military basicly your on call 27-7. you can get stuck with a duty shift for 24 hrs...if you join make sure its what you want to do

wilson9d is offline Senior Member

The answer to your question is yes they can help you with your car payments. I wish I had never left the military, if I had it to over again I would have got my degree first then went in as an officer. Like you I did not think I could go to school and get by I thought I was not in a position where I had to work not go to school looking back I was wrong. It’s up to you to get through school. Either before you go or after you will have to a BA is no better then a high school diploma now. So my advice is get your degree now then join because it is allot harder to get your degree at 30 work a sit job pay bills support a family and sit in class with a bunch of 18 yo kids.

Good reads and post but take the advice from prior service members, not trying to offend anyone but I got some dusty boots over here and I think a few more in here that have posted do too. If you are going to join do not listen to the recruiter, do what you want to do or you will cooking powder eggs in no time. Go talk to the recruiter, get some information to look over. Then on your way home stop by a college and pick up some student loan, pell grant, and anything else to do with paying for school. How about being a part timer? Pay for school and you will probably get a sign on bonus. Just watch what job you get or unit some of them might have already been deployed and are not going anywhere for awhile.

kynetguy is offline Senior Member

Let me jump in the middle here. First, I am going to forewarn, I may be hard, disrespectful or even straight up rude. But, I am just going to call it like I see it.

First like others have said, take advice from prior service people.

Second, I commend you on recognizing friends that hold you down and wanting to take charge of your life. That in itself if an honorable thing to do and a lot of 18 year olds do not have the basic intelligence to figure that much out on their own.

Third, stop dogging your intelligence level. You may not be as smart as some people, but neither am I. I have a high IQ, smashed the ASVAB, scored 35 on mu ACT. . .twice. But, who cares? Seriously, so flippin what. That doesn't mean that I wasn't victim to my own stupidity MANY times growing up. You are up on me already because you are smart enough to have started taking control of your life earlier than I did.

Military I think would teach you a lot about yourself. I would sign up for reserves though, you can always go active if you like the lifestyle, but once you sign that active commitment, you will serve it out unless you get discharged dishonorably. . .and you do not want that. Don't do it for the money. Not a lot there. Do it for the experience. If you feel you must sign up for active, do not go any longer than 4 years. Because at the end of that, they will welcome you to stay. But you have grown and matured though that time period. You will know more about yourself. At that time you may wish to jump ship and go to college. YOu will only be 22-23, still lots of time to go to college and enjoy it.

And do NOT take full faith in recruiters. THey are struggling to meet mission right now. (fill their quota) They will do whatever they can to get you signed. They are good sales people, that is why they are recruiters. They are paid to be your buddy and make you feel a part of the "team." Just remember that.

I am really starting to like your post bro, good read

kynetguy is offline Senior Member
    I am really starting to like your post bro, good read
    Thank you sir. I appreciate the compliment.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis

BTW, someone with an avatar of a soldier sporting oil company patches giving advice about the military is FUBAR.
    Why? Is it rude to be honest about who you are really fighting for and who is really pulling the strings behind these wars? I'm sorry for being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Why? Is it rude to be honest about who you are really fighting for and who is really pulling the strings behind these wars? I'm sorry for being honest.
    I'll play nice and let you think a little more as to why a current or former servicemember in a combat MOS who has lost good friends, teammates, and mentors may find an avatar of a soldier covered with oil company patches to be in poor taste (especially from someone who hasn't served but is still giving advice about the military).

importeater91 is offline Member
    Good reads and post but take the advice from prior service members, not trying to offend anyone but I got some dusty boots over here and I think a few more in here that have posted do too. If you are going to join do not listen to the recruiter, do what you want to do or you will cooking powder eggs in no time. Go talk to the recruiter, get some information to look over. Then on your way home stop by a college and pick up some student loan, pell grant, and anything else to do with paying for school. How about being a part timer? Pay for school and you will probably get a sign on bonus. Just watch what job you get or unit some of them might have already been deployed and are not going anywhere for awhile.
    +1 to that..recruiters will screw you over..all they care is getting you to join and off to boot. they will say anything to do so.

wilson9d is offline Senior Member
    I'll play nice and let you think a little more as to why a current or former servicemember in a combat MOS who has lost good friends, teammates, and mentors may find an avatar of a soldier covered with oil company patches to be in poor taste (especially from someone who hasn't served but is still giving advice about the military).
    Agreed.

Keep in mind your offensive statements are opinion not fact.

Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson9d View Post
    agreed.

Keep in mind your offensive statements are opinion not fact.
    agreed!

hunter7 is offline Junior Member
    dirtball - im in the marines and have had some great experiences and learned cool shit and met great people, but honestly wish i was just a civilian most of the time. You deal with so much stress and stupid policies and deployments. The army has like 14 month deployments and that is stressful stuff. Id suggest thinking of some other avenues ( college, tech school) and if you still want to join than do it. dont rush anything because some recruiter is feeding you bullshit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information