gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~

little leage kid banned

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php...ARSDCCLM_UNEWS

9-year-old boy told he's too good to pitch

Monday, August 25, 2008 9:33 PM EDT
    The Associated Press
    By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN Associated Press Writer

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player — too good, it turns out.
    The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.
    Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.
    But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.
    "He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"
    The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.
    "I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."
    Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.
    Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.
    "I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."
    League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.
    "He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."
    Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.
    "Facing that kind of speed" is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.
    League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.
    League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.
    "I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.
    Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.
    League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.
    Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.
    "You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    pretty unbelievable.

thats a good sign for the kid though, hes probably got a good career ahead of him in the game

Angel of death is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, i think thats bullshit. It aint like hes older then all the kids like that one pitcher who got caught in the little league world series...

Skully44420 is offline "A Work in Progress"
    thats just BS right there. its not like he's cheating WTF?! its called the pussification of our youth

beefjr22 is offline Banned
    40 mph is not fast at all, i understand theyre 9 but still that is ridiculous

stpete is offline Banned
    It's not that fast, but the mound is a lot closer. I have a question. What kind of coaches are those? Answer: Sorry ass ones. I would take my kid off a team if a coach refused to play better opponents. How are they supposed to get better if they don't play quality opponents? You're supposed to tell the kids to go out and do the best they can, and approach it as a normal game. Cause it is. Who knows, maybe some kids would of gotten some hits. Terrible coaching.

beefjr22 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skully44420 View Post
    thats just BS right there. its not like he's cheating WTF?! its called the pussification of our youth
    pussification of our youth lol i like that... theres way too much of that going on

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    from what i've gathered is he's not banned at all, hes just being asked to play in an older age group. that seems fair to me. what would be unfair is if they let this kid just beat the crap out of every team in his age group.

Quote Originally Posted by JiGGaMaN View Post
    from what i've gathered is he's not banned at all, hes just being asked to play in an older age group. that seems fair to me. what would be unfair is if they let this kid just beat the crap out of every team in his age group.
    i dont think thats unfair. What if there is a good at hitting and get tripel and home runs all the time. Should he have to move up too? Were is the limit on who is to good and who judges that?

Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    I read this on yahoo the other day. Yeah I agree with gixxer, he should stay in his age group. Sorry that you kid is not a freak....

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    i dont think thats unfair. What if there is a good at hitting and get tripel and home runs all the time. Should he have to move up too? Were is the limit on who is to good and who judges that?
    If they are at a point where it's no longer competitive for them. If they move them up an age group, they will work a lot harder and get even better.
    For example: Lets say you work out with a partner and you are gaining a lot faster than they are. Would it be better if you just kept working out with him until he got to the same size, or would you start lifting heavier weights?

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    I think he should have the option of moving up, but should not be banned from his age group.

Kind of like if a kid is really smart, they have the option of skipping a grade or two.

Quote Originally Posted by JiGGaMaN View Post
    If they are at a point where it's no longer competitive for them. If they move them up an age group, they will work a lot harder and get even better.
    For example: Lets say you work out with a partner and you are gaining a lot faster than they are. Would it be better if you just kept working out with him until he got to the same size, or would you start lifting heavier weights?
    i agree it would probably benefit him. But he shouldnt be forced too

Also, this happened to me when i was younger. I moved up to an older age group and things were just dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    exactly!! very good point right there

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    politics

wilson9d is offline Senior Member
    its bs, but the kids too young to be running gear.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    It's BS that he's being hated on for being too good but maybe he should be out of a developmental league so he can challenge himself to get better. On the flip side, any kid that bats against him should take it as a challenge to get better even if they go down swinging.

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    I wonder if he's friends with Canseco, Bonds, Clemens, and McGuire?

Seriously, that's bullshit. When I was a kid, it was about "Do your best." Now it's about "If you do your best, you might make other kids feel bad, because they're not as good as you...so, just be mediocre."

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAR View Post

Seriously, that's bullshit. When I was a kid, it was about "Do your best." Now it's about "If you do your best, you might make other kids feel bad, because they're not as good as you...so, just be mediocre."
    Liberals...If they had their way we'd all be thinking Joy-Joy thoughts and getting fined 1 credit everytime we cursed.

Quote Originally Posted by CSAR View Post

exactly!! thats what i mean when i say "pussification of our youth". gotta try to make all the kids think everybody is equal which is pure bullshit. no matter what there is always gonna be somebody better than you at something.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    This is nothing new. I went thru it and so did both my sons. As a matter of fact, up until I started playing sports in school I had to have my birth certificate handy at every game. Eventually they made me play up one or two age groups. Like I said my sons have had to do it and so did my best friends son. Now my oldest boy and my best friends boy are both freshmen in high school and both are starting on the varsity squad (seperate schools in different states). This type of movement will only make kids better. I definitely have no problem with it.

testigator is offline Junior Member
    PUSSIFICATION OF OUR YOUTH! Thank you skully. Doesn't everyone grow up with a kid that dominates the league? So when this kid pitches it gives the other kids a chance to see what can be done at there age. They need to learn how to lose as well as win. Somebody is going to be better in every stage in life. 9 is old enough to explain to your kids that life is tough and you need to keep working at every stage if you want to be the best.

Thread Information