JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)

What do you do, and how did you decide?

I get out of the military in a year, and I'll be headed back to school. One of the biggest factors in me joining was the fact that I had no clue what I wanted to study or what I wanted to do with my life. It's something I think about every day, and I just can't decide what path I want to take. I'm interested in just about everything, but I don't love anything so much that I want to do it for the rest of my life. It's frustrating for me to see everyone I went to school with already well into their careers while I'm still sitting here with no clue. I envy the people who know what they want and love what they do. I'm just curious what you guys do and how you decided/fell into your jobs/careers.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    I don't think they know what they want either, (your friends) I call them all "the settlers" like the Europeans who came to America and just lost hope for anything better.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    List the things you love to do.

Choose a path in how you want to live in the future.
    Last edited by xlxBigSexyxlx; 08-26-2008 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post
    I don't think they know what they want either, (your friends) I call them all "the settlers" like the Europeans who came to America and just lost hope for anything better.
    Haha, I guess. But choosing something and working toward it is better than doing nothing at all, right?

Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    List the things you love to do.

Choose a path in how to want to live in the future.
    That's the thing though, I dont "love" anything really. The only interest that's remained constant in my life for any long period of time is the body, fitness, nutrition, etc.... If I had to choose today, I would lean toward studying kinesiology I suppose. But then again, I'm not interested in it any more than any other field.

wukillabee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536 View Post
    I get out of the military in a year, and I'll be headed back to school. One of the biggest factors in me joining was the fact that I had no clue what I wanted to study or what I wanted to do with my life. It's something I think about every day, and I just can't decide what path I want to take. I'm interested in just about everything, but I don't love anything so much that I want to do it for the rest of my life. It's frustrating for me to see everyone I went to school with already well into their careers while I'm still sitting here with no clue. I envy the people who know what they want and love what they do. I'm just curious what you guys do and how you decided/fell into your jobs/careers.
    Well have u gone to college yet to get that 2yr bs out of the way? Im guessing not. DO that since i know here in california theres this stupid rule u need to take 2yrs of sh*t youve been already taking for 12yrs before u can start working towards ur major. Use those 2yrs to look around and see what interests u. In this crazy world that revolves around purley money id say get at least a b.a in business. Thats a very broad degree that u can take into any profession. Never understood those people who major in crap like phsyc, philo, and political science, wtf r u gonna do with that on ur resume? So u got 2yrs for ur general ed, 2-4yrs for ur b.a. in business, im sure by this point you'll have a good idea of what u want to do for a living and you'll already have ur ba degree under ur belt. I know thats what im doing and know many successful people who have done the same.

KatsMeow is offline Stupid
    you can be a lifetime student like me and just keep getting degrees in different things...lol

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536;4*****8
    That's the thing though, I dont "love" anything really. The only interest that's remained constant in my life for any long period of time is the body, fitness, nutrition, etc.... If I had to choose today, I would lean toward studying kinesiology I suppose. But then again, I'm not interested in it any more than any other field.

Maybe something like Sports Medicine...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_medicine

from physician to surgeon to athletic trainer...

Like stated before, its always good to have a business degree of some sort to fall back on.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536;4*****8
    Yeh honestly I know exactly what your talking about up untill a point. And by the time I found what I loved, it was too late to really make a living out of it.

Like I can sit in a soundproof room all day tweaking knobs, attack, delay, release, detune, cut off, saw wav, and the hundreds of others.
    Adjusting frequencies, compressing sounds, anything that has to do with a synthesizer.
    First time I used one like 4 years ago I just 'sorta" liked it. Now 4 years later I cancel dates and miss work for it.
    So its confusing, because even once you find something you love, you can't always do it for a living, or even much at all like you want.

Quote Originally Posted by KatsMeow View Post
    you can be a lifetime student like me and just keep getting degrees in different things...lol
    That always works too. Better to have too many then none at all! Thought u where goin to bed?

Quote Originally Posted by wukillabee View Post
    Well have u gone to college yet to get that 2yr bs out of the way? Im guessing not. DO that since i know here in california theres this stupid rule u need to take 2yrs of sh*t youve been already taking for 12yrs before u can start working towards ur major. Use those 2yrs to look around and see what interests u. In this crazy world that revolves around purley money id say get at least a b.a in business. Thats a very broad degree that u can take into any profession. Never understood those people who major in crap like phsyc, philo, and political science, wtf r u gonna do with that on ur resume? So u got 2yrs for ur general ed, 2-4yrs for ur b.a. in business, im sure by this point you'll have a good idea of what u want to do for a living and you'll already have ur ba degree under ur belt. I know thats what im doing and know many successful people who have done the same.
    I went to junior college for a couple years before the military, but I dicked around mostly because I was afraid of having to choose a school to transfer to and pick a major and all that. Im taking classes online and after this semester I'll be half way to my AA. Plus, a lot of the cal states give credits for military service and also for CLEPS (its like taking a test and getting credit for a whole semester) which I plan on taking a lot of. I'm busting my ass now so I'll hopefully be able to apply this fall for next year, but more realistically spring time. Probably have to take waste the whole first semester taking the 4 units that I cant take online or get credit for. But SDSU has a great veterans program and I'm gonna call them tomorrow to see what, if anything, I can do to maybe do a lower division transfer. And as far as business goes, I totally agree with you. I'd probably be looking to get a MBA or maybe even going to USC for entrepreneurship (its rated #1 in the nation). There's just too damn much to choose from. =/

Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536 View Post
    I went to junior college for a couple years before the military, but I dicked around mostly because I was afraid of having to choose a school to transfer to and pick a major and all that. Im taking classes online and after this semester I'll be half way to my AA. Plus, a lot of the cal states give credits for military service and also for CLEPS (its like taking a test and getting credit for a whole semester) which I plan on taking a lot of. I'm busting my ass now so I'll hopefully be able to apply this fall for next year, but more realistically spring time. Probably have to take waste the whole first semester taking the 4 units that I cant take online or get credit for. But SDSU has a great veterans program and I'm gonna call them tomorrow to see what, if anything, I can do to maybe do a lower division transfer. And as far as business goes, I totally agree with you. I'd probably be looking to get a MBA or maybe even going to USC for entrepreneurship (its rated #1 in the nation). There's just too damn much to choose from. =/
    SOunds like ur on the right track bro! I also fu*ked around my first few years in college (too many gurls bra!) so now im goin back with half my credits done already for my a.a.

SOunds like ur on the right track bro! I also fu*ked around my first few years in college (too many gurls bra!) so now im goin back with half my credits done already for my a.a.
    You goin to school in LA? What are you studying?

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Hmm..I dunno... Law school, Medical school, MBA, graduate school, PhD...

Im a Political Science major and I'll be attending medical school after this year. You can do quite a bit of things with the majors you listed. PoliSci is generally considered a "pre-law" path. There are VERY VERY few B.A.'s and B.S.'s that you can really do much of anything with anymore. I'm not even sure that you can sit for your CPA test without a masters in accounting now days.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Its a tough decision, and one that I really didnt figure out until after I graduated with my masters in exercise phys. I always loved the human body and it seemed physiology was the only thing that I was ever really good at academically speaking. I truly didnt know what I really was interested in until I started my doctorate program that I am in and found that I really had a gift for understanding physiology. If I can relate something to exercise then I can learn anything. I always wanted to be a scientist of some sort but I just never knew in what.

Dont feel bad about not knowing what you want and having multiple interest. If you look at my CV as far as research publications I co-authored/investigated its in about 5 different fields.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Hmm..I dunno... Law school, Medical school, MBA, graduate school, PhD...

Im a Political Science major and I'll be attending medical school after this year. You can do quite a bit of things with the majors you listed. PoliSci is generally considered a "pre-law" path. There are VERY VERY few B.A.'s and B.S.'s that you can really do much of anything with anymore. I'm not even sure that you can sit for your CPA test without a masters in accounting now days.
    You take your MCAT yet? and if so wasnt it a bitch...

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Its a tough decision, and one that I really didnt figure out until after I graduated with my masters in exercise phys. I always loved the human body and it seemed physiology was the only thing that I was ever really good at academically speaking. I truly didnt know what I really was interested in until I started my doctorate program that I am in and found that I really had a gift for understanding physiology. If I can relate something to exercise then I can learn anything. I always wanted to be a scientist of some sort but I just never knew in what.

Dont feel bad about not knowing what you want and having multiple interest. If you look at my CV as far as research publications I co-authored/investigated its in about 5 different fields.
    So what is it that you will be doing with all that schooling?

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    You take your MCAT yet? and if so wasnt it a bitch...
    Not yet...but im in a special admission program, I only need to score a 30, no section less than 8...

Jdawg...Did you ever consider with your military background that you could get a federal law enforcement job?

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Not yet...but im in a special admission program, I only need to score a 30, no section less than 8...

Jdawg...Did you ever consider with your military background that you could get a federal law enforcement job?
    Yeah, Im actually in law enforcement in the military. That was my main interest when I joined actually. After dealing with the military structure and all the bureaucracy, I just dont think working for the government is in my future. Entirely too much BS and inefficiency for my liking. It drives me nuts.

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    Well, as someone who was in the military, I understand how you're feeling. I went from a B.S. in Pre-Med/Zoology, to a M.S. in Physiology, to being a corpsman in the Navy, to a M.A. and Ph.D. in Linguistics. I'm pretty sure I'll be doing something different in 5 years. If you're really interested in something related to health and the human body, most medical-related degrees are pretty golden. I wish I had gone into Physical Therapy. I had to see a Physical Therapist for a while after the military. The VA paid for everything and this dude was great. His PT clinic had more (and BETTER) equipment than Gold's Gym and after my 90 minutes of therapy (heat pads, warm menthol/oil massage from his HOT masseuse, stretching, injury-specific training, more stretching, light rubdown, hydrotherapy), I was free to use the facilities as I wished. My old university has a PT center for all of the university athletes. It is a state-of-the art building that is attached to the athletes-only sports center, which has top-of-the-line equipment and facilities. I'm kicking myself for writing this, because I teach English to university kids who are basically retarded and my job is about as rewarding as a punch to the nutsack.
    Last edited by CSAR; 08-27-2008 at 05:46 AM.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    well, you didn't piss away time on your work history with the military...

there are a lot of variables for your career path...

where are you willing to live?
    are you willing to sacrifice money?
    are you chasing $$$
    are you looking for free time?
    what time line?
    how will you get there??
    are you willing to sacrifice and endure?
    do you want a family?
    do you want roots for your family?

just to name a few...

I went into the military got out and had to survive, you know.. pay bills.. some key things for your future is hard work... you won't get anywhere or be successful in anything if you want things handed to you.. you need to work hard and aspire to be the best at what you do.. a lot of people go right into a field that they want to study/learn a trade and stick at it...others play around and tinker with things... I do say that most anything will require your committment/dedication and hard work.

with that being said you might just have to get busy after something to make ends meet financialy. I can go on with a lot of other things, but really it is up to you and not anyone else to tell you.. you should be happy inside and with yourself and the rest will be gravy. I hope I got you thinking about some critical things with my questions... those are the basics to making a decision.

southmadejd is offline Member
    Man at least you are going to get to enjoy the full benefits of the new GI BILL....mine runs out in 1 year so maybe I will get one semester of enjoyment. Anyways man....it will be great if you get something you are really happy with as a career but also remember that you should work to live and not live for work.

Quote Originally Posted by CSAR View Post
    . I'm kicking myself for writing this, because I teach English to university kids who are basically retarded and my job is about as rewarding as a punch to the nutsack.
    Why is it not rewarding? Another thing I enjoy is teaching and working with kids, but the money is a big deterrent. My pops told me I should look into teaching junior college part time, but I dont know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by rockinred View Post
    well, you didn't piss away time on your work history with the military...

there are a lot of variables for your career path...

where are you willing to live?
    are you willing to sacrifice money?
    are you chasing $$$
    are you looking for free time?
    what time line?
    how will you get there??
    are you willing to sacrifice and endure?
    do you want a family?
    do you want roots for your family?

just to name a few...

I went into the military got out and had to survive, you know.. pay bills.. some key things for your future is hard work... you won't get anywhere or be successful in anything if you want things handed to you.. you need to work hard and aspire to be the best at what you do.. a lot of people go right into a field that they want to study/learn a trade and stick at it...others play around and tinker with things... I do say that most anything will require your committment/dedication and hard work.

with that being said you might just have to get busy after something to make ends meet financialy. I can go on with a lot of other things, but really it is up to you and not anyone else to tell you.. you should be happy inside and with yourself and the rest will be gravy. I hope I got you thinking about some critical things with my questions... those are the basics to making a decision.
    You bring up a lot of good points, and those are some questions Ive asked myself plenty of times. My dream would be to settle down and start a family. The money isn't a big deal to me, but I definitely want my wife and kids to be comfortable and live a nice life. That's really all that's important to me. Obviously I dont want to work 60 hours a week, but if that's what it takes then so be it. I have nothing against working hard. With the new GI Bill money isnt really a factor at all for me for the next 4 years, which is pretty awesome. Hopefully things will start falling into place soon, right now I'm just putting my time in and trying to set myself up for success no matter what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by southmadejd View Post
    Man at least you are going to get to enjoy the full benefits of the new GI BILL....mine runs out in 1 year so maybe I will get one semester of enjoyment. Anyways man....it will be great if you get something you are really happy with as a career but also remember that you should work to live and not live for work.
    I know man, Im stoked about it. Im gonna be making more money by going to school then I currently make working 50+ hours per week and putting up with all the BS.

Thread Information