MR_T is offline Member

add adhd testing?

this is something I dont usually talk about but what the hell... this is the internet I have always had some mental health issues in my past but have never talked to a doc about it. I took online questioners and read the symptoms for add and adhd. I have serious problems with my attention span, and it hit the nail on the head. I dont have any hyper activity but my attention span and memory suck. So now im thinking it might not be such a bad idea... heres my question do i go talk to a general practitioner or do in need to look up a psychiatrist? Also my insurance sucks, what would be the most affordable option

Bjohnson is offline Associate Member
    Regular docs are hesitant to prescribe meds for things like that. Psychologists are usually more than happy to if they don't think you are just trying to score drugs. The usual treatment for add or adhd is an amphetimine prescription which have alot of effects, some not so good. I dabbled with it when i was younger and decided that i just coudln't live like that, i'd rather be a little scattered. To each his own. But yeah, a shrink. Usually there are mental health clinics where you can go relatively cheap.

peachfuzz is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjohnson View Post
    Regular docs are hesitant to prescribe meds for things like that. Psychologists are usually more than happy to if they don't think you are just trying to score drugs.
    Psychiatrist.

MR_T is offline Member
    I went to the 'health center" on campus. they didnt take my insurance but it only cost $40 to see a doc so i guess I cant complain. After a short discussion with the doc, (general practitioner) and filling out a survey/test I got a script for some Dextroamphetamine. to be honest Im a little disappointed he couldn't do any further testing..but what the hell I am going to try this stuff tomorrow and see if it helps

peachfuzz is offline Anabolic Member
    keep me posted...

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    just go to a psychiatrist, they hand out add meds like candy
    I've got it bad but deal with it without the medication
    I started on ritilan in 2nd grade

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    No, you dont need to see a psychiatrist. Also, just about anyone would respond as possible sufferer's of ADD. Look at the questions, theres no one that wouldnt answer yes to most of them. But yeah, if your doc wont script them he will refer you to a psychiatrist, but i dont see that happening. And Kratos, not all doctors are like that. My psychiatrist wouldnt script anything that had a possibility of being abused that means all benzos and add meds. So they dont all hand meds out like candy.

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    I can tell you this my friend:

We would all like to have a larger attention span. Read the symptoms of about any psychological disorder and you are going to carry some of those.

A lot of people suffer from lack of a attention span simply due to depression. You can pop a pill for that, or you can find something that will strike your interest. ADHD and depression have almost the same exact symptoms. Short of getting a catscan to detect the amount of brain activity and serotonin in your brain you can’t tell what you suffer from. A good doctor will prescribe you a anti-depressant before putting you on adderall (what we really want).

I took a non-stimulant ADHD medication in college, but I think it was just depression. I took lexapro and straterra. Turns out, I just did not like college and even medication could not make me like it. I got into real estate, it was my real intrest and am doing fine with a construction company as well.

beefjr22 is offline Banned
    I used to take adderall when i needed to write an essay for college works great if u dont mind not sleeping.....i personally think adhd is a crock of bs

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dogg View Post
    A good doctor will prescribe you a anti-depressant before putting you on adderall (what we really want).
    lol. thats f'in hilarious. they use dexedrine in canada, which is dextro-amphetamine. way better than DL-Amphetamine as the levo isomer is cited as a main cause of side effects, whereas the dextro isomer is the main cause of euphoria and stimulation. I tried strattera and it made me violently vomit at random times and locations. Shit got messy.

MR_T is offline Member
    so I hate this Dextro, Its only been a day but it has taken care of all my add symptoms.. today I was actually able to sit for over four hours and work on homework/studying at home. Usually I have to lock myself in a library room without any distractions (phone,laptop etc) and I only an hour maybe two if im lucky. What I hate about is that everybody that saw me today know something was different, I had people asking if i was ok, depressed etc. Im not as chatty, and I find everything interesting.. I spent the last three hours reading my genetics book for fun over chapters we're not even covering. Oh and it gave the worst stomach cramp, and I was a little nauseous right after talking it. I got a month before I gotta go in for a refil so ill try it out and see how it goes. Im already worried because my appetite is dead, and this stuff has weightloss listed as a side effect. Does anybody know what would happen if went on cycle while on this stuff?

ayomacs is offline Banned
    psychatrist, no. maybe you and your child need to sit down and have a family meeting. See where it goes

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member
    drugs dont fix problems man...

the problems exist, even if the drugs numb you out.

most of the drugs for add/adhd are meth based. my nephew was on it. when he came off - total relapse.....

if you have issues, there are always other ways to deal with it. drugs are the last option ( i say this, as we are on a steroid forum :P)

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_T View Post
    so I hate this Dextro, Its only been a day but it has taken care of all my add symptoms.. today I was actually able to sit for over four hours and work on homework/studying at home. Usually I have to lock myself in a library room without any distractions (phone,laptop etc) and I only an hour maybe two if im lucky. What I hate about is that everybody that saw me today know something was different, I had people asking if i was ok, depressed etc. Im not as chatty, and I find everything interesting.. I spent the last three hours reading my genetics book for fun over chapters we're not even covering. Oh and it gave the worst stomach cramp, and I was a little nauseous right after talking it. I got a month before I gotta go in for a refil so ill try it out and see how it goes. Im already worried because my appetite is dead, and this stuff has weightloss listed as a side effect. Does anybody know what would happen if went on cycle while on this stuff?
    Send me some pls. I can't even do my book work with out cruising the boards.

Thread Information