IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"

HELP!!!!!!!!!!! need to make rancid meat smell go away

ok.....I ****in leave my apartment not to return for 5 weeks.........and when i get back, 100 dollars worth of meat in the freezer went rancid. I guess apparently the power went out for a very long time.

the freezer is clean, and fridge, as clean as I can get it......anybody have any tips on getting that god awful smell to go away....everytime i walk past it I want to hurl.

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04 View Post
    ok.....I ****in leave my apartment not to return for 5 weeks.........and when i get back, 100 dollars worth of meat in the freezer went rancid. I guess apparently the power went out for a very long time.

the freezer is clean, and fridge, as clean as I can get it......anybody have any tips on getting that god awful smell to go away....everytime i walk past it I want to hurl.
    hmmmm i dunno i know whenever we move people we have them put a baking soda thingy in there to absorb any odors that would come from that thawing out process

ya, I got baking soda in there as well......has'nt put a dent into the odor.

Skully44420 is offline "A Work in Progress"
    i'd say try to clean it out with bleach and hot water?

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    buy a new fridge

natureboy is offline Member
    Is it your fridge? If it came with the apartment, call up the landlord an tell him something is wrong with his fridge he needs to get a new one!
    If its your light it on fire, then call insurance an tellem lightning hit it.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I heard if you pee on it, that it will make it all better.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Remove the meat, put a paper dish with sodium carbonate spread out (baking soda) leave the dish for one week & take it out.

If the smell is still there it most likely ran into the compressor at which point you need to run it with the door open for a few days.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Had this happen before...Gave the thing away to the less fortunate, and bought a new one. Not worth the trouble...

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    Get a spray bottle and make a 50/50 mix of bleach and hot water, spray the shit out of it. Also try a citrus based domestic cleaning product after that.

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post
    Remove the meat, put a paper dish with sodium carbonate spread out (baking soda) leave the dish for one week & take it out.

If the smell is still there it most likely ran into the compressor at which point you need to run it with the door open for a few days.
    sounds like the best bet yet

bd50 is offline Associate Member
    been there, done that..

BUY A NEW FRIDGE! THE HORRIBLE SMELL IS IN THERE FOR GOOD!

trust me.

thanks for the suggestions guys......first, I am going to give baking soda a week. then think about running it for a week with the door open.

then might have to complain to landlord. already cleaned the ****er as much as it can possiblly be cleaned

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

agree

xero is offline Associate Member
    Mythbusters had an episode where they tried to get rid of that smell. They tried everything you can think of. They brought in professional cleaners that specialize in cleaning up dead/decomposing bodies. Nothing worked.

Toss the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    Mythbusters had an episode where they tried to get rid of that smell. They tried everything you can think of. They brought in professional cleaners that specialize in cleaning up dead/decomposing bodies. Nothing worked.

Toss the fridge.
    actually, I talked to my folks......they had meat go rancid in their trailor once. Took a year to get the smell to go away. but it did go away.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    actually, I talked to my folks......they had meat go rancid in their trailor once. Took a year to get the smell to go away. but it did go away.
    if it takes a year its worth buying new one

Did you check to make sure there is no meat juice left in the nooks and crannies of the fridge? (you may have to do a little disassembly of the interior to check).

Next you can try the vinegar + baking soda trick... put vinegar in spray bottle, spray inside surfaces, then sprinkle baking soda on. It will fizz and turn into a paste. Leave in for 3-4 days and then clean out.

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure that will.

Red

Yeh mythbusters is sometimes really stupid with the shit they do.

I've personally never seen a smell chlorine gas can't kill. If the baking soda doesn't absorb it, or the smell doesn't run out with the door open a few days.

You can literally chlorinate the entire fridge. The free chlorine will oxidize and react with any thing thats stinking it up. It obviously can have the side affect of your fridge smelling like a pool for the next 5 years if you overchlorinate it.

The gist wouldn't be to use bleach.
    Youd go to home depot and pick up some muriatic acid. Than collect some old used batteries.
    Pour like a cup of the acid into a gallon milk container half full with water.

You want to dilute the acid so HCL vapors don't corrode any interior metal parts. Split open the battery with tin cutters, pull out the black rock looking innerds. Its mostly what batteries are (manganese dioxide).

Throw the rocks in the milk container and close the door. Leave it for 24 hours.
    Free chlorine will slowly diffuse from the bottle and kill ANYTHING in its path.

Bleach works too but you ideally want a reaction where the chlorine will slowly break down, react, than redistribute to the deeper surfaces of where the smells coming from.

This would be like a final 'just encase' solution.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    ^^Sounds dangerous as hell.

I'm in!

lmao, its like odor genocide.

got the baking soda going. got it in a bowl to help increase surface area.

I got a air freshner that you plug into the wall. apple spice. then got another air freshner, the kind with the flower design on the lid that you can unscrew to your desire for potency on the other end of the kitchen.

7-8 hours after "installing" the air freshners, I will be damned because my apartment does not smell anymore. I can walk through the kitchen and not smell rancid meat hallelouia. And I swear the smell inside the freezer might be getting slightly better if i am not imagining things......

about the nooks and crannies. ya, what I thought was the bottome of the fridge, really wasnt the bottom of the fridge. christ. so after some panel removal, ya i found some more bullshit caked in their. That was actually another spill from a while ago. Now that spill, I suspect was the mystory fowl odor which I FOR THE LIFE OF ME COULD NOT ****ING FIGURE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!, which had been plagueing my kitchen for about the last 5 months. (different than the rancid meat, that was due to a power outage while i was away for a month).

So I will see what kind of progress i see with the baking soda

bojangles- the chlorine gig sounds really bad ass. if it comes down to that, i am sure i would have to be very careful. because if i put food back in their after treatment, couldnt the chlorine possibly diffuse through bags, and get into other food, possibly causing poisoning?

bojangles- the chlorine gig sounds really bad ass. if it comes down to that, i am sure i would have to be very careful. because if i put food back in their after treatment, couldnt the chlorine possibly diffuse through bags, and get into other food, possibly causing poisoning?
    Well sorta.
    The only reason Id say not to worry about it is because free chlorine is like a stabilization whore.
    It will search for anything to react & combine with and will convert to new nontoxic molecules.
    Like most of chlorine in our environment is in the ocean as salt. And the ocean isn't really toxic (most oceans lol)

Free chlorine is dangerous but if you actually wanted to kill someone you'd prob need like 1000 times that amount and it would have to be a direct gas inhalation, not a salt from the chlorine.

Its kinda like all the chlorine gas they use to treat water systems, you're dealing with an extremely small amount and eventually you actually wind up drinking some of the chlorine.
    In this case itd be even a smaller amount because once you aird out the gas thered be nothing to react with and even if it did it would be a stable nontoxic byproduct.

Well sorta.
    The only reason Id say not to worry about it is because free chlorine is like a stabilization whore.
    It will search for anything to react & combine with and will convert to new nontoxic molecules.
    Like most of chlorine in our environment is in the ocean as salt. And the ocean isn't really toxic (most oceans lol)

Free chlorine is dangerous but if you actually wanted to kill someone you'd prob need like 1000 times that amount and it would have to be a direct gas inhalation, not a salt from the chlorine.

Its kinda like all the chlorine gas they use to treat water systems, you're dealing with an extremely small amount and eventually you actually wind up drinking some of the chlorine.
    In this case itd be even a smaller amount because once you aird out the gas thered be nothing to react with and even if it did it would be a stable nontoxic byproduct.

o ya....thats right.....its got 7 electrons in its outer shell.....right.....good stuff.

Well sorta.

Too bad they wont let you major in Chemistry... Once you're term ends would you be able to go back to school for a chem major?

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Too bad they wont let you major in Chemistry... Once you're term ends would you be able to go back to school for a chem major?
    Yeh technically as of Feb 09 they have no say of anything I choose to do. But theres the fact that it would be my last semester as a senior at MU for psychology.

I would still love to go back just to have the degree because I love chemistry but I'm not entirely sure if it would be worth it with the record and applying for positions in that field.

Freakish is offline Senior Member
    what record?

Yeh technically as of Feb 09 they have no say of anything I choose to do. But theres the fact that it would be my last semester as a senior at MU for psychology.

I would still love to go back just to have the degree because I love chemistry but I'm not entirely sure if it would be worth it with the record and applying for positions in that field.
    No way...I have friends that go there...

Oh yea....Aren't you precluded from getting federal stafford loans and what not because of that? I thought any CDS conviction precluded you from stafford loans. Ya know I hate to go on a rant about our legal system, but seriously, if someone commits a felony and they are actually applying for a stafford loan to go back to school, they obviously are not of the criminal mindset anymore and are trying to better their lives. But of course, our system almost guarantees recidivism by ensuring that they have no legitimate opportunity to better their lives and are forced to turn back to crime as a way to support themselves.

Excluding maybe a few very violent crimes, I dont believe a persons record should even be accessible by an employer. It's really of no relevance to how you will perform your job, the only time it would be warranted is if you committed a violent crime (murder,rape,assault, or robbery). It's total bullshit, and politicians wonder why the recidivism rate is 80%. The system is setup for failure, jails are big business, and there is a big bureaucracy with a big budget that wants to stay in business. Plain and simple...

No way...I have friends that go there...
    Awesome, I always knew we were like 5 mins away. Jersey is so small.

Oh yea....Aren't you precluded from getting federal stafford loans and what not because of that? I thought any CDS conviction precluded you from stafford loans. Ya know I hate to go on a rant about our legal system, but seriously, if someone commits a felony and they are actually applying for a stafford loan to go back to school, they obviously are not of the criminal mindset anymore and are trying to better their lives. But of course, our system almost guarantees recidivism by ensuring that they have no legitimate opportunity to better their lives and are forced to turn back to crime as a way to support themselves.

Excluding maybe a few very violent crimes, I dont believe a persons record should even be accessible by an employer. It's really of no relevance to how you will perform your job, the only time it would be warranted is if you committed a violent crime (murder,rape,assault, or robbery). It's total bullshit, and politicians wonder why the recidivism rate is 80%. The system is setup for failure, jails are big business, and there is a big bureaucracy with a big budget that wants to stay in business. Plain and simple...
    Yep you're actually right on point with the recidivism rates, its deplorable.
    That was one fact they always fed down our throats behind the wall as "motivation" but I can't understand how it wasn't more a standard of expectation to fvck up when we were released.

About the loans all I know is I receive the stafford subsidized & unsubsidized loans, the NJ tag award, pel grant & one more grant.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with having a good GPA at Brookdale before I was sentenced. But I had no problems with the stafford loans.

Quote Originally Posted by Freakish View Post
    what record?
    I was converting MDP2P and ephedrine to 2 very well known CDS.

Was charged with maintaining and operating a CDS production facility and sentenced to 7 years when I was 19. Was out after I turned 21 for 'good behavoir'.

Record will be expunged in 2019, parole up in Feb 09.

Was charged with maintaining and operating a CDS production facility and sentenced to 7 years when I was 19. Was out after I turned 21 for 'good behavoir'.

Where do you plan on taking your psych degree? I think it would be much more lucrative in the long run to have a chem major, possibly a PhD in chem? Is there anything you can do in the meantime about getting your record expunged earlier? I think if you went to the judge and showed them that you have attained such and such degree with good grades, they might be willing to do it earlier. Hell, even try writing Corzine and showing them your credentials you may get a pull pardon. I mean you are afterall the model and poster child for rehabilitation. Not many people come out of prison and then get a bachelors degree from a mid-tier private university.

Freakish is offline Senior Member

ah thought so with your knowledge,sorry to hear it bro,good to see you got out early man.i too used to reduce ephedrine to a well known CDS...it paid for collegei was lucky enough not to get caught,i stay clear now.

Thread Information