Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Strategus is offline Female Member

Thumbs up <i>Nature</i> editorial

I don't know how many are familiar with the journal Nature, but it's a very well-respected scientific journal.

if you've taken biology or biochem classes in college, your profs have probably asked you to read articles that were published in Nature, as well as Science and other journals.

Here's an excerpt from an editorial that Nature published in August:

Nature believes that accepting 'legal limits' of specific metabolites without such rigorous verification goes against the foundational standards of modern science, and results in an arbitrary test for which the rate of false positives and false negatives can never be known. By leaving these rates unknown, and by not publishing and opening to broader scientific scrutiny the methods by which testing labs engage in study, it is Nature's view that the anti-doping authorities have fostered a sporting culture of suspicion, secrecy and fear.

Detecting cheats is meant to promote fairness, but drug testing should not be exempt from the scientific principles and standards that apply to other biomedical sciences, such as disease diagnostics. The alternative could see the innocent being punished while the guilty escape on the grounds of reasonable doubt.
    There's also a linked article about the statistical problems with drug testing. It's behind a pay-wall, but your college library may have access.

I thought that it was really interesting that Nature had the guts to publish this. It shows that good scientists are really questioning some of the policies that have been created by our friends (NOT) the politicians.
    Last edited by Strategus; 09-14-2008 at 11:48 PM. Reason: UBB code

Thread Information