CeeLo is offline Senior Member

Not a significant source of protein

I like to eat Pork rhines as snack or for extra calories and protein because a $.99 bag has 640 calories, 0 trans fat, 0 carbs, and 64 proteins. Next to the protein it says "not a significant source of protein". What does that mean?

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    I found this on another board.

"There are nutritive (good quality) and non-nutritive (poor quality) proteins. The proteins you find in milk and eggs are nutritive proteins, which have sufficient amino acids for digestion. The proteins found in pork rinds and gelatin, for example, are non-nutritive, which do not have sufficient amino acids for digestion. This is actually a big argument for people in the fitness industry because many of the protein bars include gelatin in their list of ingredients."

I wonder if you took some BCAA pills with them, would they would be okay then?

They usually have high fat too. 64x4 isn't 640, the rest is fat.
    Last edited by FallenWyvern; 09-18-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks FallenWyvern. I guess no one else had any ideas.

What do you mean by your last sentence. What is that calculation? I said 0 transfat, but I think that it had like 32g of Saturated fat.

Last edited by CeeLo; 09-18-2008 at 06:03 PM.

Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    The building blocks of protein are aminos so they would not be okay if you took them with BCAA's. Just like the statement said they are a non-nutritive source of protein meaning the amino profile of the protein will not be adequate for digestion

Found this on another board:

The type of protein in pork skins is called collagen, the same substance found in hair, fingernails, and horsehooves. Its bio-availability is almost non-existent, hence the statement on the package. People in survival situations (the Donner party, etc.) have attempted to use leather as a food source, with unfortunate results. ~AIC

Well, I'll be damned:

However the proteins in pork rinds are not used by the human body. This is the reason the packages are labled not a significant source of protien." And eating pork rinds to get protien, only results in the protiens going unused and being converted to sugars and stored as fat by the body

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_rinds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thread Information