Polska is offline Anabolic Member

Who's running OSX?

I've recently installed Leopard on my PC and can't believe how fast and stable it is even though it isnt running on proprietary hardware. Now that I've used this thing I don't think I could go back to using windows. This OS is far superior in nearly every aspect. Almost makes me want to go out and buy a real Mac but can't justify spending that much money on hardware. Guess my hackintosh will have to do for now. But damn I love this OS.

Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    I've recently installed Leopard on my PC and can't believe how fast and stable it is even though it isnt running on proprietary hardware. Now that I've used this thing I don't think I could go back to using windows. This OS is far superior in nearly every aspect. Almost makes me want to go out and buy a real Mac but can't justify spending that much money on hardware. Guess my hackintosh will have to do for now. But damn I love this OS.
    I was thinking of testing it on my laptop, but the hardware is not up to spec and will run shit if at all. So i decided to just live with Linux.

Who needs a mac when you can make your own HackBook Pro.

I hear its 100% legal to do also, just aslong as it is for testing purposes.

Nice going Polska
    Last edited by Odpierdol_sie!; 10-14-2008 at 08:37 AM.

Yeah it's nice when it works. I had another desktop that I tried it on several months ago and it did not work right for shit. Could barely get it to boot. Now I have a newer desktop and it runs almost 100%. I had to patch my audio and still can't get SPDIF output to work properly so I am stuck with 2 channel sound for now, but I don't care. Beats paying $$$$ for real mac hardware. I am thinking of building another tower with all matching mac hardware/specs. That way leopard should run out of the box on a vanilla kernel and I can get updates streamlined right from Apple

INM
    INM is offline Associate Member
    I bought a macbook pro more then a year ago, it was expensive but I don't care.. It still works like it did the first day I bought it! (Which is really fast)..

I justify paying twice the price for a mac that will last 2-3 years longer then a pc laptop I could have bought..

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    just use linux.. if you didn't know, mac os has been losely based on it for years, but linux runs ony ANYTHING and is FREE. imo, you can't beat that. it has more visual options than mac does, but doesn't force them on you like windows does. it also allows for a much wider range of use, like servers even, but still runs pretty much all native windows software. gotta love open source right?

Quote Originally Posted by T_Own View Post
    just use linux.. if you didn't know, mac os has been losely based on it for years, but linux runs ony ANYTHING and is FREE. imo, you can't beat that. it has more visual options than mac does, but doesn't force them on you like windows does. it also allows for a much wider range of use, like servers even, but still runs pretty much all native windows software. gotta love open source right?
    mac os runs on top of darwin which has been based on bsd/unix. I've ran ubuntu before and liked it, but OSX just seems simpler to use and can still run majority of applications which I use frequently, ie, adobe photoshop. How can you run native windows apps under linux?

Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    mac os runs on top of darwin which has been based on bsd/unix. I've ran ubuntu before and liked it, but OSX just seems simpler to use and can still run majority of applications which I use frequently, ie, adobe photoshop. How can you run native windows apps under linux?
    You can use windows apps under Wine or something similar. I will admit that i have had problems with certain things but mos .exe aps open in wine just like they do in windows.
    I didn't manage to get everything running but im not Linux savvy, i think if you are then you can get anything to work on it.
    I have my laptop running Ubuntu and XP, I only have XP in case i cant open a .exe under wine.
    Linux kicks ass

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    linux/unix.. i put them in the same boat. but yeah, especially certain versions are very similar to windows, minus all the resources used up.

osx SHOULD be simpler because thats how apple decided to go with it. basically just taking a linux OS and forcing several options and features that the average person has no idea about, and basically guiding you along their way. its definitely much more efficient than windows

blay is offline New Member
    To run windows apps use a program called Crossover or use bootcamp (straight from Apple). Both you need to pay for unfortunately or you can find other places as well.....

sizerp is offline Banned
    You should check this out - http://store.psystar.com

They are reputable, for hackintosh sake.

wantmoremass is offline Associate Member
    running osx 10.5, but on my imac of course :-) i do also have windows xp installed on the boot camp partition just in case i need it - pretty rare these days as i don't game a lot and mostly use apple/apple-compatible apps.

gst528i is offline Senior Member
    I have a g4, ibook, mac pro, macbook pro. Need i say anything more.?

BlackHat is offline Junior Member
    Mac's are pretty nice computers, once you get your hands on one there is no going back to Windows !

Thread Information