KeyMastur is offline VET

little computer programming.....

need a little help here. i left home a few days ago and forgot to erase 1 thing off my computer to "cover my tracks" so my parents wouldn't find out anything in case they ever use my computer.

i'm tryin to make a small .bat file that will either erase or hide one of my shorcuts in my favorites menu. but, am havin no luck. i have written this code :

attrib +h C:\Documents and Settings\My Name Here\Favorites\Link\Anabolic Review.url

but it's not working. also tried using the function of del, but still won't work. any help ???

running Win XP too.

will tell my mother it's a small virus fixer / patch / whatever so she'll download the file and run it - she'll never know what hit her (or my machine)

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Are you trying to clear your 'net traces?

Why not just right click on your Internet Explorer Icon, then click PROPERTIES and then ERASE HISTORY and DELETE COOKIES. It'll flush away from your innocent parents and leave you in the clear.

If not, just delete the link from your Favourites and re-link it when you come back home. To delete the actual link, just RIGHT click on the link and hit DELETE and voila, it's gone.

If all else fails, run the attrib +h in the actual system folder.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Ronny, not tryin to sound like a dick here, but did you read the first line I wrote ?

I left home a few days ago

I'm 1140 miles away from my computer right now, so it's kinda hard to point and click.

I already know how to delete cookies / saved pages / actual links / all that junk. I know more than the average computer user here.

What I'm tryin to do is create a file that my mother who is at my house, can download onto my computer, then run it, and it will clear the file itself. Kinda like a "good" virus.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    TG - just a simple .bat file - something you can learn in any high school programming class. Basically just like the autoexec.bat file your pc uses when it starts up.

I can make a batch file and run it in the directory that the file is in, meaning the coding is one line and looks like this :

attrib +H *.url

but what i'm having problems with is the path name I guess. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what. The coding seems logical (see the first post), but for some reason or another it won't work.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    actually, since both the computers are running XP, I could use XP's feature. i think it runs through microsoft messenger, i could be wrong. i really don't want her seeing what i'm doing though - could cause some problems.

plus, there is one big problem - i don't have a modem installed in my home computer. haven't had to use dialup at home in years, so when i built this one, i didn't bother with a modem.

Adonis is offline Associate Member
    create this in Notepad and save it as .bat
    You can put it anywhere and it will do the job.
    Change the path to erase whatever folder you want.
    Code:
    c:
    cd\
    cd c:\Document and Settings\(Insert User Name Here)\Local Settings\
    rd\s\q History
    cd\
    E-mail it, and tell whoever to save it on the desktop and to run it.
    It will erase the entire history for your profile.

Hope it helps.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Egads !! Finally....

Thanks a lot Adonis. Here's the code I used :

cd\
    cd c:\documents and settings\(my user name)\favorites\links\
    attrib +h *.*
    just a modified version. i'm not worried about the history - they'll never check that. i just have a link on my toolbar that i don't want them to click on.

i guess the problem that i was having was trying to change the settings all in one line. anyways, thanks for your help.

Thread Information