gst528i is offline Senior Member

Cop hits 10 year old - graphic

So this cop hits a kid. IMO it's not his fault just because its a fourlane hwy and dark. what is a 10 year old doing on his bike out there????
    As for the cop he wasn't running HOT-( means no lights or siren).
    he was however only responding to code1.
    code1- do so at your convenience
    code2- urgent
    code3- emergency light/siren

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/...Y&pageId=1.1.1

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    That is just plain heart breaking. Having lost a child I know full well what that kids parents are going through

gst528i is offline Senior Member
    ^^^^ What happened if you don't mind me asking. I understand if you cant though.
    As for the parents of that 10 y/o you have to wonder why they would let a kid ride is bike on a four lane hwy so dark without street lights. His house was only hundred feet away.

Although by law of physics if the cop was going slower he would lived. he shouldnt have been speeding doing 72 in a 40 without his siren andlights... just everyones fault it hink...

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by gst528i View Post
    ^^^^ What happened if you don't mind me asking. I understand if you cant though.
    As for the parents of that 10 y/o you have to wonder why they would let a kid ride is bike on a four lane hwy so dark without street lights. His house was only hundred feet away.

Although by law of physics if the cop was going slower he would lived. he shouldnt have been speeding doing 72 in a 40 without his siren andlights... just everyones fault it hink...
    www.jazzywren.com

Voice of Reason is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gst528i View Post
    So this cop hits a kid. IMO it's not his fault just because its a fourlane hwy and dark. what is a 10 year old doing on his bike out there????
    As for the cop he wasn't running HOT-( means no lights or siren).
    he was however only responding to code1.
    code1- do so at your convenience
    code2- urgent
    code3- emergency light/siren

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/...Y&pageId=1.1.1
    Common sense here, if a cop is doing 72mph in a 40mph zone his fvcking lights and full attention should be on, that dumbazz cop should be facing vehicular manslaughter.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Common sense here, if a cop is doing 72mph in a 40mph zone his fvcking lights and full attention should be on, that dumbazz cop should be facing vehicular manslaughter.
    That's just common sense. If your going to haul ass at double the speed limit, people need to know you're coming. If a civilian was speeding even close to that and hit the kid it would be criminal charges. It may have been an accident, but the fault for that kids death falls squarely on the officer's shoulders.
    That kid could have checked both ways before crossing and it wouldn't have done him a lick of good. The car was probably just headlights in the distance and then WHAM.

Charger527 is offline Senior Member
    ^^ still what type of parents let there 10 year old kid go riding at night by themselfs. i think i this incident no one is really at fault its just a bad accident. unlucky

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I dont understand why some cops do that , speeding to get somewhere with no lights/sirens. I have seen cops around here do it many times.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    The Sheriffs and the Highway Patrol used to drag race each other in front of my house at night. Yeah, who you gonna call?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnstHatAngst View Post
    The Sheriffs and the Highway Patrol used to drag race each other in front of my house at night. Yeah, who you gonna call?
    ..... ??

Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I dont understand why some cops do that , speeding to get somewhere with no lights/sirens. I have seen cops around here do it many times.
    Yeah the kid was in the wrong, but im not sat on the fence here, the cop was responding to a call therefore he must be prepared to bare the weight of the consequences for his actions.

In the Fire Service we have talks about such things all the time (lastnight infact).
    Responding on lights and sirens and treating every call like a race pisses me off for 1: you will still get there if you slow down a lil (i dont enjoy being thrown around the cab while im getting rigged) and 2: the noise pisses me off.

We have similar circumstances where there are instances where by you have to put every effort in to a response, and get there ASAP. You can normally tell from the information received what the nature and likely hood of the repored incident is.

e.g.
    Call 1
    Single call from a phone booth,
    house fire with persons reported to be in the building
    call taken at 4pm on tuesday.

Call 2
    Repeat calls (more than one person calling it in)
    House fire, persons reported.
    call taken 3:15am on Sunday morning

See the difference.

Thats from my line of work, a cop would be no different in determining what the job was.

I understand why it IS important to respond to an incident with no lights or siren's (no sirens more so), In the case of a person being attacked or held against their will a siren WILL alert the perpetrator/'s to the polices attendance.

Call 1:
    Alarms sounding at the bank, 8pm on a friday

Call2:
    Robbery in progress reported by a secruity guard at the bank on a friday at 2pm

However he responds to this wouldnt really matter but you would imagine that in the day time it would be better to respond with limited use of sirens since the bank robbers may hear the sirens and start blowing people away. For the one in the evening the bank aint exactly gonna be packed out with people is it so if you came with a fog horn would it matter.

End of the day the cop has to live with what he has done. Now he has the rest of hte life to think how he may have changed things.
    Last edited by Odpierdol_sie!; 10-30-2008 at 06:58 AM.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    This is just another case of life, the kid was just being a kid. Why was he out that late on a bicycle? I would look to the parents for this answer.

Was the Policeman in the wrong? Not sure really, he certainly was speeding but was responding to a call. Cops speed all the time and will continue to speed regardless. This is just a messed up situation from top to bottom.

People always look for a scape goat these days instead of realising there are simple mistakes made in life, some are fatal thats all. No policy or micro managing will cease this from happening.

Just a terrible accident and that Officer is gonna need some seriouis counseling now.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Coop77 is offline Senior Member
    It wouldn't surprise me if his lights/siren weren't on because he wasn't responding to any call. I see cops drive like that all the time, go through red lights, park in front of fire hydrants, just to go get donuts.

To the people saying it's the kid's own fault for being in the road: IT'S A 10 YEAR OLD. You can't fault a baby for crying or a dog for licking its balls. That's what they do. 10 year olds on bikes can be anywhere at any time. That's why we have speed limits.

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    The cop is gonna feel bad regardless. It really is just a terrible accident. Would the kid not have crossed if the lights were on? Impossible to tell. The lights should have been on and the cop has to live with that for the rest of his life. Terrible accident and I feel for everyone involved, at fault or not.

Thread Information